Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
markleung markleung is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 13
Send a message via Skype™ to markleung
Default How did CraftedBattle become the top paid app in US?

This app seems to be the hottest app on the app store at the moment:
http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/craf...ate=2013-01-29

But the game looks unpolished and certainly does not have a wide appeal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...bdnk9fYMA#t=9s

Googled the app, the company and its creator and I can't find any traces of marketing. The app isn't even Google-famous, and according to AppAnnie, it hasn't been featured in any countries.

So how has it gone up the charts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,799
Default

-oopsie, double post-

Last edited by Vovin; 01-29-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markleung View Post
This app seems to be the hottest app on the app store at the moment:
http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/craf...ate=2013-01-29

But the game looks unpolished and certainly does not have a wide appeal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...bdnk9fYMA#t=9s

Googled the app, the company and its creator and I can't find any traces of marketing. The app isn't even Google-famous, and according to AppAnnie, it hasn't been featured in any countries.

So how has it gone up the charts?

Simple. Paid reviews. Also riding the Minecraft wave. Once the boulder rolls downhill, it's nearly unstoppable. Also out there: thousands of Appstore customers, which are dumb enough to buy before informing themselves about an app's quality, no matter which.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-29-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
tofusoup's Avatar
tofusoup tofusoup is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 143
Default

I was looking at this game a few days back on appannie and C-apps previous games. He even posts on TA. Well at least he's trying, and his games seems to be improving. Maybe someone can get C-apps to talk about it. I'm interested to hear more about it.

He's got the icon,screenshots, user generated content going for it. The reviews seem to all think it's a MP minecraft FPS game. Most reviews seems forgiving, and giving it 4 stars hoping for a MP update.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Therealtrebitsch Therealtrebitsch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 543
Default

Seems absolutely legit for people who like Mine Craft type games.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
C - Apps's Avatar
C - Apps C - Apps is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Simple. Paid reviews.
I haven't paid for reviews. I haven't even paid anything for marketing.
The App has interesting concept and some unique features. Which iOS-shooter provides map editing? Another thing is the icon, this it what you look at first when you see an app on the Appstore. It shows a block which reminds of Minecraft and it shows guns. You can easily imagine what the game is about just from the icon. This is what I think but I can't even explain to myself how it came to this success.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tofusoup View Post
giving it 4 stars hoping for a MP update.
The multiplayer-mode is now a high priority.

Last edited by C - Apps; 01-29-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C - Apps View Post
I haven't paid for reviews. I haven't even paid anything for marketing.
The App has interesting concept and some unique features. Which iOS-shooter provides map editing? Another thing is the icon, this it what you look at first when you see an app on the Appstore. It shows a block which reminds of Minecraft and it shows guns. You can easily imagine what the game is about just from the icon. This is what I think but I can't even explain to myself how it came to this success.

Ok, no paid reviews. Was the app featured somewhere? Or is it featured as a gift on sevices like FeaturePoints or AppCasher? Or on Gnome Escape?

Don't get me wrong, btw. - I was generally talking about how an app can raise in the charts even if it's only mediocre. Quite some devs use the things I mentioned, like paid reviews. Or cloning concepts which are popular.

Again, I never tried your app, so no offense was intended.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-30-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
C - Apps's Avatar
C - Apps C - Apps is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Ok, no paid reviews. Was the app featured somewhere? Or is it featured as a gift on sevices like FeaturePoints or AppCasher? Or on Gnome Escape?
Nope.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
pat3ck pat3ck is offline
Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Did any of the app review sites review the app and helped it gain exposure?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Balloon Loons Balloon Loons is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
Default

If he wanted to tell you he would have told you by now lol

Don't we know by now it's mostly luck!

And even if he did buy his way up....would he tell you? Probably no.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent