Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default "What's the word" - stock photography in games?

In my free time, I'd been toying around with a prototype for a (very vaguely) similar game to "What's the word" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whats-word-new-quiz-pics-words/id573511269?mt=8), so it was interesting to see it become so popular.

"What's the word" uses photos from stock photography websites. As far as I understand from their licenses (and asking some of them in emails when I was researching for my prototype), most of the stock photo sites don't allow 'essential' usage like this in games (and a very small minority allows such usage, but with quite expensive 'extended' licenses for more than a certain number of users - around 40$ / photograph).

This difficulty of collecting hundreds of quality photos was a major reason I couldn't go ahead with making the prototype into a full game.

But since "What's the word" can become so visible while using stock photographs, is there something I'm misunderstanding? Is there a relatively simple (and relatively cheap, at most 5-10$ / image) way to legally collect hundreds of photographs?