Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

This can't be happening freemium is ruing so many great games.... Please leave this app alone it is fantatstic as is
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Thx for the link! I see on Ascension's FB page that they are definitely interested in getting an in-house thing for Android going.

In the PT forums, Justin Gary put up a post to answer some questions about the iOS app.

http://forums.pockettactics.com/disc...nsion-in-doubt
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM

I went on FB to say, dont make any of us who already paid to pay any more..
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
A Stone Blade spokesperson reached out to clarify the statement they released earlier today. Ascension for iOS will continue to be a paid app and will be supported by Playdek only the new PC and Android editions will be free to download.
As above.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcub14 View Post
Thx for the link! I see on Ascension's FB page that they are definitely interested in getting an in-house thing for Android going.

In the PT forums, Justin Gary put up a post to answer some questions about the iOS app.

http://forums.pockettactics.com/disc...nsion-in-doubt
Ok cool - as I figured, they're making CotG free while expansions are paid. I think it would behoove Playdek to follow suit, but I guess we'll see.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
As above.
Haha yeah I saw that update literally right after my post. Still got questions thiugh..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
I don't really see the potential "freemium" as a problem here. I mean, it's a deck building game. How can anyone have access to any better cards than the next person in a common pool deck building game?

The problem I see, is it looks like they want to make it cross-platform. Which means their own servers, which means no more gamecenter and no more asynch?
Is that right? This game is on gamecenter isn't it? And that's what gives it the asynch?
Stone Blade could monetise a freemium Ascension in a few ways.

They could go the Team Fortress way and sell hats for player avatars, or sell background music for playing in the background or different background mats.

Selling timer bypasses. Freemium Ascension could include timers so that a player can only have one active game per day. Additional games can be bought on a monthly basis.

The XBox Gold approach. Since Stone Blade will likely be running their own servers for cross platform play, they could sell monthly subscriptions to enable online play, with offline remaining free.

Monetising the cards. They can add Stone Blade powers that are consumables allowing the player to alter the face up cards for a turn.

Well basically many ways to pry cash from freemium punters...

For those just jumping in, it is Stone Blade, a new contractor for the original makers of Ascension, the physical card game, that is proposing freemium.

Playdek, whom had published the current iOS Ascension app, remains awesome. Buy all their games and IAP expansions to show your support. I know I did...

Last edited by iPadisGreat; 02-12-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

After reading it (with the updates of course), it seems the base app isn't going to change, they're just going to expand on it. If that's the case, it's fine by me! After playing IH physically, I'd love to see the addition of it to ios, and campaign doesn't sound too shabby either.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Oh boy... well, I'm glad to have more options these days. Eventually we will get Smash Up as well for light fun.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
This game is on gamecenter isn't it? And that's what gives it the asynch?
No; or yes, just not how you might think.

If a game's notifications come throu the Game Center app (like Ticket to Ride Pocket, lost cities, letterpress) then it's using Game Center servers. In the case of games like Ascension, Carcassonne, and Nueroshima Hex, the developers have their own servers (to maintain a higher quality of service) and use Game Center as a sort of auto login.

Nueroshima Hex is currently cross platform so it's entirely possible that Playdek could make it cross platform or that they turn over the server duties to Stone Blade and let them handle the servers in-house.