Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I just want to touch my finger here!
Today, tomorrow, next week... whatever!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR3.jpg (25.4 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Dan't Ponic; 02-07-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I think the guys at Firemonkeys will surprise us all and release this sooner than "end of February"...It'll be great marketing for them. If I'm making any predictions, I would say that we might see this next Thursday (the 14th) so it can take a spot in the Featured page.

That GameCenter screenshot means that the game has been submitted and approved by Apple, and it just needs the green light to make it public. But they're probably doing some final testing and maybe minor bug fixes for the game.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

a very interesting link: http://www.148apps.com/news/real-rac...ple-free-play/

1) So journalists will be seeing RR3 next week, and

2) If this seriously turns out to be a free-to-play or fermium, I think we should all petition and tell Firemonkeys it's a bad idea, and it'll suck real hard if they did it. I would so happily pay $10 - $15 for a highly-premium game like this (The World Ends with You is $20 and it's selling like hot cakes), rather than being stuck in a system where I won't be able to enjoy the game unless I pay 99c or $1.99 every time I want play the game for a brief moment. I wouldn't play the game at all if it was purely F2P

Either make it a premium, or give us an option through in-app purchases to opt out of all that fermium crap.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Well, that EA event in San Francisco next week will include some RR3 hands on.
So should at least have the specific release date next week and some hands on articles.
Maybe even....more.
There's a lot of rumours going around about the game at the moment but that event will make it all clear.

The freemium one is going around a while now but the notion behind it is that the delay was in order to implement a change to freemium but that part is not true.
The game is exactly how they designed it from day one and the delay had nothing to do with adding freemium. That is very reliable information.

Of course, that doesn't mean its not freemium because freemium are always the top games in the highest grossing category on every international App Store.
CSR Racing as a prime example because it earns (or at least used to, don't know recent numbers) 12 million a month.
So financially, it is certainly possible. It's just the best way to actually make money. Which every dev has to do.

And even if it is freemium, the mechanic itself may not be a problem, there might be no time delay or refuelling like CSR has which is extremely annoying. It might simply be coins or cars. Which won't be much of a problem as long as you can earn in game as well.

Plus I'd imagine its quite hard to spend probably 4 million developing it and recoup the money with a premium system. RR2 has 392,000 users on gamecenter on the sd version and 375,000 on the hd version. It did cost 2 million to develop. I agree there is a decent profit margin there on it even accounting for pirated copies but it is out just over two years and that's a long time to wait for a return when freemium would make it back in a month (well, longer than that, but you get the point).

Anyway freemium is not confirmed or definite in any way yet. Lets just wait and see.
Lets just hope its premium with iap.
But even its not, I'm afraid I'm still gonna have to get it and just join the new way.
It'll still be a beast of a game.

Last edited by Rip73; 02-07-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
To be honest, I think NFS MW looks nice but not "freaking gorgeous." As in I don't find it a huge leap over -let's say- Real Racing 2.
On the iPad 3 it looks very "gritty" and aliased, which kills the overal beauty graphics wise.
NFS runs at retina on iPad 4.

Even before the update that added that and the radial blur, it still looked gorgeous. Since you're going so fast it's easy to ignore the jagged edges, at least for me.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

If this is freemium, I'm out. I don't do freemium, I've never done freemium and I will never do freemium. I don't care how good it is, the pay to play / pay to win model is destroying the essence of what I like about gaming. I would rather throw my iPad in the toilet than succumb to this rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, EA. You're ruining my hobby across all platforms now. You are cancer.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCREE View Post
If this is freemium, I'm out. I don't do freemium, I've never done freemium and I will never do freemium. I don't care how good it is, the pay to play / pay to win model is destroying the essence of what I like about gaming. I would rather throw my iPad in the toilet than succumb to this rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, EA. You're ruining my hobby across all platforms now. You are cancer.
Agree! Say no to freemium!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Well, that EA event in San Francisco next week will include some RR3 hands on.
So should at least have the specific release date next week and some hands on articles.
Maybe even....more.
There's a lot of rumours going around about the game at the moment but that event will make it all clear.

The freemium one is going around a while now but the notion behind it is that the delay was in order to implement a change to freemium but that part is not true.
The game is exactly how they designed it from day one and the delay had nothing to do with adding freemium. That is very reliable information.

Of course, that doesn't mean its not freemium because freemium are always the top games in the highest grossing category on every international App Store.
CSR Racing as a prime example because it earns (or at least used to, don't know recent numbers) 12 million a month.
So financially, it is certainly possible. It's just the best way to actually make money. Which every dev has to do.

And even if it is freemium, the mechanic itself may not be a problem, there might be no time delay or refuelling like CSR has which is extremely annoying. It might simply be coins or cars. Which won't be much of a problem as long as you can earn in game as well.

Plus I'd imagine its quite hard to spend probably 4 million developing it and recoup the money with a premium system. RR2 has 392,000 users on gamecenter on the sd version and 375,000 on the hd version. It did cost 2 million to develop. I agree there is a decent profit margin there on it even accounting for pirated copies but it is out just over two years and that's a long time to wait for a return when freemium would make it back in a month (well, longer than that, but you get the point).

Anyway freemium is not confirmed or definite in any way yet. Lets just wait and see.
Lets just hope its premium with iap.
But even its not, I'm afraid I'm still gonna have to get it and just join the new way.
It'll still be a beast of a game.
I get where you're coming from, and if RR3 does indeed turned out to be F2P. But I am talking from a gameplay and an experience stand point, is that the fermium system does ruin the experience absolutely. CSR Racing was so annoying to play, that after just a small amount of time, I deleted the game and never thought about playing it again. Most Wanted, which is a great game overall, was damaged by the ridiculous upgrade system which took a lot of your in-game coins and sometimes required you to pay real money for the expensive cars.

All I'm saying is that Firemonkeys should focus on delivering the best experience to the player, and that turnover profits can come sooner than what RR2 did. People these days are spending more than ever on iOS games, and the iOS/Android gaming community has grown a lot bigger from what it was in early 2011, plus RR2 didn't arrive to other platforms (like Mac and Android) till a lot later. And I think the licensing costs (which was the major cost in RR2) could be a little less this time, since EA is the mother company now and keeps good relationships with the automakers, and probably got some good licensing deals.

I personally think if they went purely premium, they'll do just fine. I think EA (after all, they're the decision makers) will do the right thing here and make a good balance between premium and IAPs.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeyad View Post
I think EA (after all, they're the decision makers) will do the right thing here and make a good balance between premium and IAPs.
Most inaccurate statement of the year here

At least if EA's past decisions are anything to go by.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Most inaccurate statement of the year here

At least if EA's past decisions are anything to go by.
MoH, Dead Space 3, I've been nothing but disappointed from EA lately.

Wouldn't put it past them to make this freemium.

Closed Thread