Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
a very interesting link: http://www.148apps.com/news/real-rac...ple-free-play/

1) So journalists will be seeing RR3 next week, and

2) If this seriously turns out to be a free-to-play or fermium, I think we should all petition and tell Firemonkeys it's a bad idea, and it'll suck real hard if they did it. I would so happily pay $10 - $15 for a highly-premium game like this (The World Ends with You is $20 and it's selling like hot cakes), rather than being stuck in a system where I won't be able to enjoy the game unless I pay 99c or $1.99 every time I want play the game for a brief moment. I wouldn't play the game at all if it was purely F2P

Either make it a premium, or give us an option through in-app purchases to opt out of all that fermium crap.
02-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Well, that EA event in San Francisco next week will include some RR3 hands on.
So should at least have the specific release date next week and some hands on articles.
Maybe even....more.
There's a lot of rumours going around about the game at the moment but that event will make it all clear.

The freemium one is going around a while now but the notion behind it is that the delay was in order to implement a change to freemium but that part is not true.
The game is exactly how they designed it from day one and the delay had nothing to do with adding freemium. That is very reliable information.

Of course, that doesn't mean its not freemium because freemium are always the top games in the highest grossing category on every international App Store.
CSR Racing as a prime example because it earns (or at least used to, don't know recent numbers) 12 million a month.
So financially, it is certainly possible. It's just the best way to actually make money. Which every dev has to do.

And even if it is freemium, the mechanic itself may not be a problem, there might be no time delay or refuelling like CSR has which is extremely annoying. It might simply be coins or cars. Which won't be much of a problem as long as you can earn in game as well.

Plus I'd imagine its quite hard to spend probably 4 million developing it and recoup the money with a premium system. RR2 has 392,000 users on gamecenter on the sd version and 375,000 on the hd version. It did cost 2 million to develop. I agree there is a decent profit margin there on it even accounting for pirated copies but it is out just over two years and that's a long time to wait for a return when freemium would make it back in a month (well, longer than that, but you get the point).

Anyway freemium is not confirmed or definite in any way yet. Lets just wait and see.
Lets just hope its premium with iap.
But even its not, I'm afraid I'm still gonna have to get it and just join the new way.
It'll still be a beast of a game.

Last edited by Rip73; 02-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.

02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
To be honest, I think NFS MW looks nice but not "freaking gorgeous." As in I don't find it a huge leap over -let's say- Real Racing 2.
On the iPad 3 it looks very "gritty" and aliased, which kills the overal beauty graphics wise.
NFS runs at retina on iPad 4.

Even before the update that added that and the radial blur, it still looked gorgeous. Since you're going so fast it's easy to ignore the jagged edges, at least for me.
02-07-2013, 08:06 PM
If this is freemium, I'm out. I don't do freemium, I've never done freemium and I will never do freemium. I don't care how good it is, the pay to play / pay to win model is destroying the essence of what I like about gaming. I would rather throw my iPad in the toilet than succumb to this rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, EA. You're ruining my hobby across all platforms now. You are cancer.
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Asmara, Eritrea
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCREE View Post
If this is freemium, I'm out. I don't do freemium, I've never done freemium and I will never do freemium. I don't care how good it is, the pay to play / pay to win model is destroying the essence of what I like about gaming. I would rather throw my iPad in the toilet than succumb to this rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, EA. You're ruining my hobby across all platforms now. You are cancer.
Agree! Say no to freemium!

Aid is like a pill that numbs the pain, if you take it too often you get addicted. President Isaias Afwerki
This simple and timeless quote sums up Eritrean government & people's self-reliance policy.
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Well, that EA event in San Francisco next week will include some RR3 hands on.
So should at least have the specific release date next week and some hands on articles.
Maybe even....more.
There's a lot of rumours going around about the game at the moment but that event will make it all clear.

The freemium one is going around a while now but the notion behind it is that the delay was in order to implement a change to freemium but that part is not true.
The game is exactly how they designed it from day one and the delay had nothing to do with adding freemium. That is very reliable information.

Of course, that doesn't mean its not freemium because freemium are always the top games in the highest grossing category on every international App Store.
CSR Racing as a prime example because it earns (or at least used to, don't know recent numbers) 12 million a month.
So financially, it is certainly possible. It's just the best way to actually make money. Which every dev has to do.

And even if it is freemium, the mechanic itself may not be a problem, there might be no time delay or refuelling like CSR has which is extremely annoying. It might simply be coins or cars. Which won't be much of a problem as long as you can earn in game as well.

Plus I'd imagine its quite hard to spend probably 4 million developing it and recoup the money with a premium system. RR2 has 392,000 users on gamecenter on the sd version and 375,000 on the hd version. It did cost 2 million to develop. I agree there is a decent profit margin there on it even accounting for pirated copies but it is out just over two years and that's a long time to wait for a return when freemium would make it back in a month (well, longer than that, but you get the point).

Anyway freemium is not confirmed or definite in any way yet. Lets just wait and see.
Lets just hope its premium with iap.
But even its not, I'm afraid I'm still gonna have to get it and just join the new way.
It'll still be a beast of a game.
I get where you're coming from, and if RR3 does indeed turned out to be F2P. But I am talking from a gameplay and an experience stand point, is that the fermium system does ruin the experience absolutely. CSR Racing was so annoying to play, that after just a small amount of time, I deleted the game and never thought about playing it again. Most Wanted, which is a great game overall, was damaged by the ridiculous upgrade system which took a lot of your in-game coins and sometimes required you to pay real money for the expensive cars.

All I'm saying is that Firemonkeys should focus on delivering the best experience to the player, and that turnover profits can come sooner than what RR2 did. People these days are spending more than ever on iOS games, and the iOS/Android gaming community has grown a lot bigger from what it was in early 2011, plus RR2 didn't arrive to other platforms (like Mac and Android) till a lot later. And I think the licensing costs (which was the major cost in RR2) could be a little less this time, since EA is the mother company now and keeps good relationships with the automakers, and probably got some good licensing deals.

I personally think if they went purely premium, they'll do just fine. I think EA (after all, they're the decision makers) will do the right thing here and make a good balance between premium and IAPs.
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeyad View Post
I think EA (after all, they're the decision makers) will do the right thing here and make a good balance between premium and IAPs.
Most inaccurate statement of the year here

At least if EA's past decisions are anything to go by.
02-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Look out your window.
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Most inaccurate statement of the year here

At least if EA's past decisions are anything to go by.
MoH, Dead Space 3, I've been nothing but disappointed from EA lately.

Wouldn't put it past them to make this freemium.
02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Most inaccurate post of the year here

At least if EA's past decisions are anything to go by.
well com'on...Mass Effect Infiltrator and FIFA 13 are mostly premium games where you never even have to think about IAPs. Most Wanted was great overall, but the upgrade system was total crap. Other than that, the highly-produced games at EA Mobile are fine.

Now of course, there are money grabber freemium games like The Simpsons Tapped Out, Sims FreePlay and Monopoly Hotels, but those were some very cheap games to develop from the start.

Real Racing 3 will be sort of EA's first highly-produced games that's F2P, which will suck of course.
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCREE View Post
If this is freemium, I'm out. I don't do freemium, I've never done freemium and I will never do freemium. I don't care how good it is, the pay to play / pay to win model is destroying the essence of what I like about gaming. I would rather throw my iPad in the toilet than succumb to this rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, EA. You're ruining my hobby across all platforms now. You are cancer.

Yeah, Free to Play can get annoying. Most of the games i play don't force me to, so it feels free just without benefits.

I hope RR3 doesn't force you too pay. Like i want to play 20 hours straight (heaven forbid) without having to DLC for repairs or Repaint a gazillion times. Why can't they just have DLC for maps?

They put alot of effort into that so it makes sense.

But, maybe this is all fake what Xeyad linked to on page 78.