Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Upteded for the new version, but I think, the earlier one was better.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm not sure I like this new update at all, the game has become deeply unbalanced imo. The attack point of my fully maxed out knight has been reduced to 1, and on level one of the dungeon I'm already facing a monster with 9 hp. I mean, what?!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I agree. I'll put more time into it and see if it grows on me but so far colour me unimpressed. Much preferred the earlier version. I've only had one shop appear so far and that was 300 set to buy anything, not keen on the new inventory system, I don't like the poisoning aspect, unless there's an option to cure that I've missed? The only part I do like is that the assassin doesn't have any blocked squares. I'm still going to persevere with it and reserve the right to change my mind later though..

Edit: just playing through again using assassin and now I've got blocked squares again??? Just appeared on level 9. Am I missing something?? I can't see that I've got anything that would suddenly make this happen. Or is it a bug? Anyone else had this?

Last edited by orangecan; 02-10-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

With the new update, there are small graphics issues and glitches again on my iPad 3.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

While the changes look interesting, it does seem like you actually lose spaces for spells. Definitely makes it harder to manage them. On the other hand, I would say the best possible improvement is the morale check for better crit potential.

On the other hand, the poison thing seems a bit like unnecessary complication and busy work. It doesn't seem to accomplish much but give you another button to press when the game decides you are poisoned. As of right now, I don't see the point of it if it doesn't add any fun or real strategy to the game. Other than it adds another degree of suck based on luck of landing potions. The issue being that there's no management strategy for poison or the potions that cure them. Everything else, on the other hand, has resource management strategies that a user can use statistic calculations (and/or what things or creatures are displayed on this level) to weigh a decision upon. Should I sell it for the extra health or gold? When should I use it?

In the old method, the slots weren't so limited so that for equip-able items, you make a conscious decision on whether that item is worth taking up a slot away from possible consumables. Now, you've lost that aspect since they force the issue and not allow you to enjoy the extra space for another consumable when you only have 1 viable equip able on board. 4 slots seems about a slot too small for the good ol' consumable item strategy of the first. Now players will be staring At spaces they can't use. Some of my best runs were with only 1 equip and good management of all the other free spaces for consumables.

The other additions seem purely luck-based with no bearing on player strategy, so far. The nature of the rogue-like aspect this game already achieved added all the luck-based survivability features we'd ever need. Additions generally concentrate on management strategies that players can use as tools to statistically gain favor against random elements if played right.

I'll play it more to see if things balance out from a different direction, but the loss of consumable item slots and the gain of poison makes it seem a little like I'm losing strategy more than gaining it. The idea of random chance is intriguing, but my luck hasn't shown its advantage yet. Right now, chance simply has given me the feeling that, will I enter a new level poisoned or not? I'm poisoned? Ok. Use a potion. Hope they don't just randomly mess me up with a random poison with no potions. Can't do anything about that.

Last edited by Foiden; 02-10-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Out of all the changes it's the poison that's completely ruined it for me. It's basically killed the game. I'm basically getting poisoned at the start of every level when I hit about level 15. I can be having a really good run lots of Heath and high sword stats and I can lose it all in a few levels if I have bad luck finding the key. I've definitely had my money's worth out of it but I think this is it for me.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

i dont understand. how are so many people missing the green potion icon right under your health?! even if you cured poison every time you got it, you should not be running low until level 25 at least.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Understood. I think the poison feature was ill-conceived. Doesn't add any strategy to the game outside of a random, uncontrollable, aspect to just kill you without any ability for a player to prep for it or counter with any degree of strategy.

And how people can not have the potion to cure is based on a new luck factor. I believe it does give you a potion each time you completely clear a level, but that's part of the rub. An actual real strategy (which worked in the past) was to actually decide not to clear every monster on a level. For instance, dealing with red mobs that automatically hurt players for a significant extra amount of health on melee blow and you lack the sheep spells, direct damage spells, etc. you may say,well I have the key, I may kill my survivability if I challenge the rest before moving on. The next level often gives you a better deal and you recover thanks to the decision.

Not to mention the random aspect of getting poisoned from mobs or traps just trying to get the all clear bonus. Now I'm also getting lots of potions, but I figured I was just getting lucky.

But my real question is whether the poison aspect actually adds any degree of strategy to the game. Seems it's missing some player choice aspects to make it a viable addition, but I could be wrong, and haven't discovered a new use for this mechanic.

Last edited by Foiden; 02-10-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
iPad mini

Default Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecan View Post
Out of all the changes it's the poison that's completely ruined it for me. It's basically killed the game. I'm basically getting poisoned at the start of every level when I hit about level 15. I can be having a really good run lots of Heath and high sword stats and I can lose it all in a few levels if I have bad luck finding the key. I've definitely had my money's worth out of it but I think this is it for me.
Something's definitely wrong then! I made it pretty far avoiding poison traps, thanks to the accessory that lets you detect them.

I plowed my way to Level 87.... yeah, 87, on my FIRST GAME on the new update.

With the previous update, I unlocked the Assassin with each of his Skills at Level 2. I don't know if it was a streak of luck or just the imbalance of the game, but I picked up most of the important 'accessories' and never looked back.

One thing... why don't the Lantern, Compass, Map, etc take up Inventory Slots now? I find it's too easy stashing these items + being able to have armor, res. stones, etc as backup.

The game's gotten much much easier and, with that, the grind to make it to later levels become incredibly boring. It's as if there's virtually no effort in making it from levels 1-40 and, waiting for a challenge becomes a long, tired affair each game.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The update is great, for someone who sucked at the prior version. My best before was 34. Yeah that hurt being 1 away from the assassin. I can plow through levels now rather easily, and that gets a bit boring with a powerful character.

I'm curious to see how the game balances out on the update. At least I did get the character I wanted.