★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

02-12-2013, 01:14 AM
However this may seem to be good, i'd still prefer it bought than free. I wouldnt have to worry about anything if i bought at premium price. Then again, i do enjoy a handful of freemiums too. Just sayin.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-12-2013, 02:01 AM

What worries me, is that by this whole FREEMIUM stuff, the market changes so drastically.

First of all primary consumer group of grown up, money earning people is exchanged to people with low impulse control ability, what means kids and adolescence - and specifically not the smartest ones. Ten years ago, who was able to expect that the industry was funded mainly by smurf berry and - sorry I have to laugh because its a racing simulation - GOLD COINS.

This implicates a shift to game mechanics that are more suited to this consumer group, means big effects with small and shallow gameplay.

But RR3 shows us another possible 'innovation':
The adaption of A.I.-behaviour to increase revenue, so I think in RR3 we will see sooner or later (per update maybe) much more and unrealistically aggressive, 'moneykamikaze' doing cash bots in the driving seats...

But do not worry, let the publishers aim at the unexperienced and stupid consumers, there are to many of them to resist in doing so anyway.

Indi-deveropers will save us, like they always did.

02-12-2013, 02:07 AM
The fact remains: here is a system which deliberately creates an inconvenience for the player, for the sole purpose of making the player pay money to remove this inconvenience.

Supporting such a system, as a player, is just madness.
02-12-2013, 02:45 AM

No realtime multiplayer confirmed then.

Last edited by killercow; 02-12-2013 at 02:49 AM.
02-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Ign confirmed that realtime multiplayer won't be in the game at launch...
02-12-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm glad that at least it'll be freemium instead of premium with freemium features hidden beneath the surface or patched in with an update. Now I don't have to give EA and Firemonkeys a single cent, but I can still reward them with an honest review when the game releases. And I'll be sure to update my review with every update

It's better to move on and discover greater indie gems to spend your money on, like Finding Teddy.

"Don't Do This Or You'll Get Banned"
—Unnecessary Sass Towards The Admins—
02-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Its an odd IAP choice that makes me worry how the dev can make money. Sure at the start it will be an inconvenience but after a while if your Ferrari is banged up you're just going to hop into your Lambo.

Casual players will drop the game after a week or two as they do with any game and the hardcore fans will have garages full of cars, and the devs will not be seeing any money from them. There simply has to be more iap's than mentioned in the second article.

Games that will never leave my iPad : Great Big Wargame, Battle Academy, Battle of the Bulge, Ravenmark and Hunters 2.
02-12-2013, 04:19 AM
Taken from the IGN article:
"A dented bumper might install in 2 minutes, with a rebuilt engine requiring up to 3 hours."

Taken from the Toucharcade frontpage article:
"You'll also face wait times when installing upgrades or unlocking new cars, both of which seem to take longer as more advanced upgrades and vehicles become available."

Omg, i hate this kind of crap!!

...........................GC: k1llyb1lly.......................

Last edited by killy billy; 02-12-2013 at 04:23 AM.
02-12-2013, 04:24 AM
If they want to make it accessible to everyone, why not have a freemium version, and a premium version!? Exactly.... They lied - they want money.

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
02-12-2013, 05:31 AM
I like how a 3 hour wait is considered Freemium done well, game development is butchering itself, the passion these days seems to be in monetization and analytic guffery. Game design for the love of game play is dying rapidly.