Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Default Football Manager Handheld 2013 (Universal)

YouTube: video

As always I'll keep an eye on this thread for feedback and try and let people know when updates are released etc. - hope you enjoy the game
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 AM

Pretty quiet in here!

After skipping FM12, got the bug again and decided to take the plunge. I'm a veteran of the series from the very first Amiga game.

Bit disappointing that there hasnt been much evolution in the game from the first iOS version (did try 12 as my Dad has it). Its pretty much the same game - same interface with a few tweaks. If nothing much changes next year, I'll doubt I'll bother - sorry Marc as I know this is as much a labour of love for you than anything else.

I do have a lot of ideas and suggestions, so I'll try to keep sticking them in here and hopefully some will be possible in updates or the next version. But for now, there are 2 things I think need addressing.

1) Really need to see squad numbers on the match engine. I cant imagine its hard as you are already pulling through the player names onto the dots. The ability to assign squad numbers is also needed.

2) Games seem to be very high scoring (not necessarily your own, but when you see the weeks results in the league the games are often like 3-2, 4-3, 5-0, 3-1, 4-0, 4-4 etc all the way down the list, which is bit unrealistic).

3) The ME is still really buggy which is frustrating as its hard to get a good gauge of how players are performing. I.e. the CB will be up the other end of the field taking a throw-in (wouldnt happen), or when the opposition are attacking, you can see your CB lumbering back and massive gaps appear in the middle of your defence. Wouldnt happen - maybe the CB is out of position, but someone would fill in and 2 strikers wouldnt be left totally unmarked hanging around the penalty spot.

4) Orientation on boot of game - how was that overlooked!!

Its a shame, though I can imagine how hard it is to get this right Marc.

As I say, I'll try to come up with some ideas too that can improve things, but for now, its a fun enough game to play in short bursts, but for people like me who thrive on realism, its a bit of stretch to totally immerse yourself in the game.

Last edited by pbb76; 12-17-2012 at 07:22 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb76 View Post
Bit disappointing that there hasnt been much evolution in the game from the first iOS version (did try 12 as my Dad has it). Its pretty much the same game - same interface with a few tweaks. If nothing much changes next year, I'll doubt I'll bother - sorry Marc as I know this is as much a labour of love for you than anything else.
There were a lot of 'under the hood' changes in 2013, but I'll readily admit not many huge changes on the UI front.

(expect larger changes in presentation and suchlike next year - imho its important to get the ground work right first with games)

Quote:
1) Really need to see squad numbers on the match engine. I cant imagine its hard as you are already pulling through the player names onto the dots. The ability to assign squad numbers is also needed.
This will likely appear in time - but only when I come up with a UI which isn't cumbersome and also when the devices can support larger database sizes (basically I don't want to trade 200 odd players of database space to give each player a squad number at the moment).

Quote:
2) Games seem to be very high scoring (not necessarily your own, but when you see the weeks results in the league the games are often like 3-2, 4-3, 5-0, 3-1, 4-0, 4-4 etc all the way down the list, which is bit unrealistic).
I constantly monitor and tune this side of the game, some periods are higher scoring than others naturally - but overall things do tend to trend to the realistic (irl you sometimes have high scoring weekends, then others where strikes appear to have forgotten how to score ).

Quote:
3) The ME is still really buggy which is frustrating as its hard to get a good gauge of how players are performing. I.e. the CB will be up the other end of the field taking a throw-in (wouldnt happen), or when the opposition are attacking, you can see your CB lumbering back and massive gaps appear in the middle of your defence. Wouldnt happen - maybe the CB is out of position, but someone would fill in and 2 strikers wouldnt be left totally unmarked hanging around the penalty spot.
I'll keep on this and while I think its enjoyable and fun - its not quite where I want it to be at present, but it is something I'll keep tweaking away at (do bear in mind unlike FM PC we don't have dedicated people working on the match view at present unfortunately).

Quote:
4) Orientation on boot of game - how was that overlooked!!
Apple changed the way some of their OS versions recognises things so it doesn't automatically rotate now, its on my list of things to look into.

Quote:
As I say, I'll try to come up with some ideas too that can improve things, but for now, its a fun enough game to play in short bursts, but for people like me who thrive on realism, its a bit of stretch to totally immerse yourself in the game.
Thats fine - I really appreciate the feedback; very constructive and useful
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

The 4.1 update was released today - Major changes from 4.0.1 are as follows:

Tweaks to player status calculation
Tweaks to long term player ability progression
Retirement fix for player/managers retiring as players
Squad selection improvements
Improved the likelihood of players loaned to inactive leagues playing matches
Tuned effect of players being on loan on their standing at parent club
Added additional personality types
Improved position retraining simulation
Various non-English language translation improvements
Added Trequartista to supported tactical roles
Allow wide Advanced Playmakers
Fixed issue with tweeting board reaction after winning competition
Achievement storage fixes
Fix to show national team players in the 'My Players' section of player comparison
Spanish fixture schedule fix
Tuned cash injections for giant killings
Tuned criteria for continental giant killings
Fixed rare issue of being sacked in Injury Crisis challenge before a match was played
Removed duplicate news item in Dangers of Capitalism challenge
Fixed colour of disallowed goal text when viewing past matches
Fixed issue where Previous Club on home screen wasn't shown correctly if user resigned
Improved AI relating to manager job movement
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
There were a lot of 'under the hood' changes in 2013, but I'll readily admit not many huge changes on the UI front.

(expect larger changes in presentation and suchlike next year - imho its important to get the ground work right first with games)

This will likely appear in time - but only when I come up with a UI which isn't cumbersome and also when the devices can support larger database sizes (basically I don't want to trade 200 odd players of database space to give each player a squad number at the moment).

I constantly monitor and tune this side of the game, some periods are higher scoring than others naturally - but overall things do tend to trend to the realistic (irl you sometimes have high scoring weekends, then others where strikes appear to have forgotten how to score ).

I'll keep on this and while I think its enjoyable and fun - its not quite where I want it to be at present, but it is something I'll keep tweaking away at (do bear in mind unlike FM PC we don't have dedicated people working on the match view at present unfortunately).

Apple changed the way some of their OS versions recognises things so it doesn't automatically rotate now, its on my list of things to look into.

Thats fine - I really appreciate the feedback; very constructive and useful
Thanks for the answers Marc. Ill check out the new update out
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

The final update for FMH2013 is available today across all platforms:

Major changes from 4.2.1 are as follows:
Improved handling of Bosman transfer decisions
Improved player retention AI
Improved player contract negotiation for big transfers
Improved player contract requests for sugar daddied clubs
Tweaked player attribute development
Prevented clipping of physio string on coach report page
Tuned World Player of the Year award
Fixed Athletic Bilbao second team not being forced as Basque players
Prevented instance where newly promoted player retires straight away

PS - If people haven't come across it yet, various 'add-ons' for FMH2013 are available for download from the fmhvibe.co.uk fansite ....
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

What does final update mean, the game is going to be abandoned?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The final update for FMH2013 is available today across all platforms:

Major changes from 4.2.1 are as follows:
Improved handling of Bosman transfer decisions
Improved player retention AI
Improved player contract negotiation for big transfers
Improved player contract requests for sugar daddied clubs
Tweaked player attribute development
Prevented clipping of physio string on coach report page
Tuned World Player of the Year award
Fixed Athletic Bilbao second team not being forced as Basque players
Prevented instance where newly promoted player retires straight away

PS - If people haven't come across it yet, various 'add-ons' for FMH2013 are available for download from the fmhvibe.co.uk fansite ....
When is the game going on sale again? I have a friend interested but it's only been on sale once in the last six months.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
What does final update mean, the game is going to be abandoned?
That sounds a tad 'harsh' - we're not abandoning the game at all (and never do); if anyone has issues with the current version we'll obviously fully support the product and assist people ...

It is however natural that at some point we will stop adding features and releasing updates for an app, this is required if we are to create future versions of our products - as such at present the 4.3 update is planned to be the final update for FMH2013.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrby View Post
When is the game going on sale again? I have a friend interested but it's only been on sale once in the last six months.
I'm afraid I only help make the game - its the biz people who decide the schedule for sales and suchlike (but normally they're based around football related dates from past experience).