Awesome, I can't get enough of them! 167 61.62%
Alright, I can take them or leave them. 63 23.25%
Dead, modern RPGs are far better. 37 13.65%
Who cares; all RPGs suck. 4 1.48%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Don't worry about the buttons - you'll be able to find them if you look for them. Trust me

Also, if you have a Rogue in your party, they have a chance of detecting moveable walls so sometimes you'll know there's a button somewhere in the area.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejarman View Post
Can you elaborate on this a little more? Genuinely interested in that sort of feedback.
Sorry, just saw this. Not sure it's simple to put a finger on exactly what makes an environment feel natural and believable as opposed to contrived. I think resisting the urge to symmetrise is a part of it. Adding detail is another. I also noticed the environment looking very "clean" throughout, as if a team of housekeepers just finished their job.

On a deeper level, I think what really helps is having some sort of background story or lore behind your creation. Even if the player is never made aware of it and it is solely for the purpose of providing a reference for yourself: what is this place you're building? How long has it been here? What was its original purpose and how did it evolve over time? It might be deserted now, or populated with monsters, but has it always been this way? What is the logic behind its construction? Why are the exits placed where they are placed? What used to be the function of this floor? Why was this floor designed with narrow corridors while this one has a wide open hall?

Lore and purpose would dictate how an environment is populated and (ideally) create a logic that the player can sense which assists immersion.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Sorry, just saw this. Not sure it's simple to put a finger on exactly what makes an environment feel natural and believable as opposed to contrived. I think resisting the urge to symmetrise is a part of it. Adding detail is another. I also noticed the environment looking very "clean" throughout, as if a team of housekeepers just finished their job.

On a deeper level, I think what really helps is having some sort of background story or lore behind your creation. Even if the player is never made aware of it and it is solely for the purpose of providing a reference for yourself: what is this place you're building? How long has it been here? What was its original purpose and how did it evolve over time? It might be deserted now, or populated with monsters, but has it always been this way? What is the logic behind its construction? Why are the exits placed where they are placed? What used to be the function of this floor? Why was this floor designed with narrow corridors while this one has a wide open hall?

Lore and purpose would dictate how an environment is populated and (ideally) create a logic that the player can sense which assists immersion.
It's funny you should mention "housekeepers". You'll see the irony once you play the game

All of the environment textures will be redone towards the end of development. I'm also working on further decals and ornamentation such as the cobwebs you see around the place. I definitely agree with you that the environments are too clean if they were to stay exactly as they are currently.

Regarding lore and mythology, this is definitely fundamental to the world-building process. Coldfire Keep certainly has these elements all covered.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
It's funny you should mention "housekeepers". You'll see the irony once you play the game

All of the environment textures will be redone towards the end of development. I'm also working on further decals and ornamentation such as the cobwebs you see around the place. I definitely agree with you that the environments are too clean if they were to stay exactly as they are currently.

Regarding lore and mythology, this is definitely fundamental to the world-building process. Coldfire Keep certainly has these elements all covered.
Cool. Look forward to giving this a go when it's out.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:

This just keeps sounding better and better!! Can't wait!!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Whatever happened to Descent RPG? Is it not on the app store anymore?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Still on the store:

Descend RPG
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Thanks, for some reason no matter what I type in my search nothing pops up, but the link works, strange...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpud View Post
Thanks, for some reason no matter what I type in my search nothing pops up, but the link works, strange...
I can pull it up just fine in the App Store. Are you searching for Descent RPG (like you'd posted above) or Descend RPG (the correct name)? As close as those two names are, the App Store's search engine can't seem to connect the dots.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
I can pull it up just fine in the App Store. Are you searching for Descent RPG (like you'd posted above) or Descend RPG (the correct name)? As close as those two names are, the App Store's search engine can't seem to connect the dots.
Ah crap, that was my mistake, English is my second language! You would think the search engine would give me a break, anyway thanks!

Closed Thread