★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
02-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river!
Posts: 2,446
Holy mother truck.

This game. At night. In the dark. With Clark.. Or not.

Holy crap on a cracker this is creepy. And I thought I was desensitized to creepy.

Nope.

If I stopped playing the gsme now, after the ladder, the fact that this game has given me shivers multiple multiple multiple times makes it worth the price of admission. I'm seriously still feeling the game in my spine. I can't wait to see what dreams I'll have tonight =\

BUY. THIS. GAME.

GC: andsoitgoes
MP Games: Waterdeep
02-24-2013, 06:06 AM
In response to a guy tweeting that he finished Year Walk, Simon replied with this tweet:



Which implies there are only two endings. The guy had yet to go through the companion app.

Playing: Alphabear, Tap Quest, Horizon Chase, Fruit Attacks

02-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Possibly a controversial opinion here: I'm not convinced that Simogo lived up to their promises with Year Walk, and I felt that way when I reached the second ending after considering all the speculation to that point. Hear me out:

I don't deny that the game looks and sound gorgeous and is beautifully produced, or that it's worth the money for the experience. That's beyond question for me. There's a lot of love gone into it, especially in the extended companion.

I have two issues with it though. The first is with the idea of a 'big surprise' for anyone who finds 'all' the secrets. I can only assume that meant the compendium code plus the second ending, and you're given the first upon completion. The second is hardly a secret after you've read it. Unless there's something else in there that none of us have found, it seems to have been oversold on the idea of lots of hidden content.

The second is demonstrated by this thread. It doesn't seem possible to be clear about what actually happened, and there are a couple of gaps that look like they could only be explained by things that are never mentioned. Speculation and chat is great, as long as it leads to something; however if you're playing this on your own with no opportunity to discuss it, you'll be even more confused by the second ending. It's like they had a story in mind and wanted everyone to reach the same conclusion, but failed to do so conclusively. The 'you've seen everything, now think' statement sums that up for me.

I'm not knocking the game as it was a great experience (if a short one - far shorter than the devs suggested, even after reading the compendium) but I think it feels unresolved and that weakens the impact for me.
02-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,712
Is there a connection between Almsten's log entry from
Oct., 1st and this: http://vedtorp.se/nyheter/20111216.htm ?


Hey, look! Oct., 7th - it is the Author Ebbe Schn! The name "Ebbe" is written down here.
There's also a person named Asp mentioned. Prof Asp is also mentioned Aug, 29th.

Nov, 14th... on the drawing in the corner, it mentions Vedtorp and:
Library Box: 1 800-ish?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 02-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.
02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Is there a connection between Almsten's log entry from
Oct., 1st and this: http://vedtorp.se/nyheter/20111216.htm ?


Hey, look! Oct., 7th - it is the Author Ebbe Schn! The name "Ebbe" is written down here.
There's also a person named Asp mentioned. Prof Asp is also mentioned Aug, 29th.

Nov, 14th... on the drawing in the corner, it mentions Vedtorp and:
Library Box: 1 800-ish?
Can's see what the mirror code on the corner says on the Oct 7th. Probably nothing but....
02-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiachi View Post
Can's see what the mirror code on the corner says on the Oct 7th. Probably nothing but....
Oct, 7th? There is none. Ah, you mean Nov, 14th? Hmmm.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 02-24-2013 at 07:13 AM.
02-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Oct, 7th? There is none.
Sorry, meant the 14th. There's a couple of mirror codes on each side.
02-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiachi View Post
Sorry, meant the 14th. There's a couple of mirror codes on each side.

Yep, noticed. Can't make out the mirror codes yet, but the words below:

min=my
Nra?=close?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
02-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiachi View Post
Sorry, meant the 14th. There's a couple of mirror codes on each side.
They're copied from the Grim stone, the outer two of four. Somebody pointed out to me that puzzle had been solved, and it doesn't add anything to the plot.
02-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuangEleven View Post
Possibly a controversial opinion here: I'm not convinced that Simogo lived up to their promises with Year Walk, and I felt that way when I reached the second ending after considering all the speculation to that point. Hear me out:

I don't deny that the game looks and sound gorgeous and is beautifully produced, or that it's worth the money for the experience. That's beyond question for me. There's a lot of love gone into it, especially in the extended companion.

I have two issues with it though. The first is with the idea of a 'big surprise' for anyone who finds 'all' the secrets. I can only assume that meant the compendium code plus the second ending, and you're given the first upon completion. The second is hardly a secret after you've read it. Unless there's something else in there that none of us have found, it seems to have been oversold on the idea of lots of hidden content.

The second is demonstrated by this thread. It doesn't seem possible to be clear about what actually happened, and there are a couple of gaps that look like they could only be explained by things that are never mentioned. Speculation and chat is great, as long as it leads to something; however if you're playing this on your own with no opportunity to discuss it, you'll be even more confused by the second ending. It's like they had a story in mind and wanted everyone to reach the same conclusion, but failed to do so conclusively. The 'you've seen everything, now think' statement sums that up for me.

I'm not knocking the game as it was a great experience (if a short one - far shorter than the devs suggested, even after reading the compendium) but I think it feels unresolved and that weakens the impact for me.
I wasn't confused. Seemed pretty clear to me.

You play as first guy. He does his thing, sees his future. Shocking and disturbing.

Continue with investigation with second guy, he gets deeper, likely obsessed. Gets pulled into the arc after certain discoveries, decides to try and make a difference, and succeeds.

Very sad ending, but an ending nonetheless.


I was left with closure, and no questions. Well, look, there are always questions, but the best stories are the ones that leave you asking questions that can't be answered, because its up to you're own interpretation.

This isn't a crime mystery, its a fictional story. There's no right answer unless the author decides to expose it or write it in with an update or sequel.

And that's ok, because it's about the experience.

And all the discussion here just means the author did his job really well. Sucked us all in for a wild ride so well, we can't accept its over when its over.