Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #121 Sheinfell, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    [QUESTION] : Does R:M run in parallel with Conference software?

Over at The Antwar Saloon, we are thinking about using voicechat again.

We have three solutions currently on the list:
    Facetime, Saba, Mumble.

Facetime has my priority, because it is iOS native.

Does R:M run in parallel with any of the three? If not, does anyone know another alternative?

I will subscribe to Saba on Monday, then we can test that and Facetime right away, if anyone is interested.
    Mumble I put last on the list, because it requires setting up and maintaining your own server(s). Which is my least favorite solution, as it means additional effort and complexity.

See here for some more details, mainly about Saba:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2889588&postcount=366

If no external solution works:
    How difficult would it be to integrate a third-party solution into R:M ? Any ideas?
    I can ask our Webex/GoTo-people, if they know of a solution.

Something like that could be a good incentive for a monthly subscription fee, as well:
    On top of the game, you get a fully integrated audio/video solution. And it would be the first of its kind, as far as I know, making it a unique feature.
    Would need to check around a bit, as I only know prices for mid-high range business solutions.

2. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Well,we figured since Mercs is an async game, voice chat would be an odd addition. I think the closest we could think of was a global chat ("Taverns") that people could hang out at. I haven't asked, but I'm pretty certain that my guys will say it'll be tough to add. We've yet to factor in server strain too.

<Shrugs> A lot of feature decisions can only be made after full launch, honestly.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Been digging into the contracts to get my skills up (I'm terrible). The game is impeccable minus the sfx for when a element is defeated. It's this cheesy man yelp that would be fitting in a 90's brawler but feels out of place here. A little variation or some element specific sounds would be awesome :)

4. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    No rush on it, was just throwing out odd ideas ;)
    I like the idea with the global chat "Tavern".

As for serverload: That's why I suggested an external solution that uses its own servers: problem solved, and saves you the trouble of maintaining the stuff yourself.

Will see how it goes with Saba/Facetime.

If anyone is around on Monday between 9am-4pm CET and wants to help me test it, beep me.

@Lost_Deputy: if you feel like a practice match, send me an invite.

5. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but are there any plans to add in battle animations like in SOE? I know it's not high on the priority list, but I feel like just having really basic ones make the battles a lot more dynamic and gives us something to look at besides the HP bar dropping.

6. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    I second this. I love the splash screens during the battles. I believe they were removed to make the battles turns faster. Maybe if enough people want them they could be put back in as an option.

7. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    That's interesting, when the majority of feedback is that the splashes detracted from the experience and simply made battles longer. That, coupled with the size of the app ballooning was why we took it out.

8. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    I think having an option that could allow users to toggle the splash screens on/off would solve that issue, like in SOE. And the quality of artwork can hardly be considered detracting from the experience. :)

9. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    It's true. I liked it myself, but like Ian said that file size and previous comments to take it down were our main concerns. Seems like we may have to rethink it however. We'll keep you guys posted.

We're 3 days away from full launch guys. Keep the comments coming, we really appreciate all the feedback. :)

Cheers,
    Khai

10. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Thoughtfood - inApp feedback module available

@WHS:
    Hi guys, I just found a post on TA, where a new company presents their inApp feedback tracker module.
    Sounds interesting, and also seems to offer basic bugtracking.
    It comes ready to be integrated, as a static linkable library (if I got the programmer speak right).
    Would that be something for the todo/wishlist?

Post is here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=194315

11. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Unfortunately I am not part of the soft launch, but I don't mind moving this thread to the top of the pile with a post - especially if it will help another gamer discover the goodness that is Ravenmark :p

I will be downloading and purchasing an IAP come Wednesday night :)

12. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Hi guys

Thinking of buying this (when it comes out!) or the first one. This one looks like it has better customisation. But does it have plenty of single player games i.e. a campaign?

13. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Okay! We'll take a look :) Thank you!

Soon! Thanks for the support buddy :) We hope you enjoy the game! Also... if you need a match, my user name is Crumston :)

Hey dude,

kay we have single player mode, but they're mostly skirmishes with the A.I as opposed to playing a huge part in the storyline like the first game, Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion.

I'll be the first to tell you that we do have plans for expanding the storyline, some of it's been written even, but not at the moment. One thing at a time! XD

If you appreciate storyline stuff, you should really go play Scourge of Estellion first, completing the 30 odd hours of gameplay will also unlock some nifty brigades in Mercenaries.

Mmm... brigades...

Cheers,
    Khai

14. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    Since this game is essentially free, you could buy the first one and download this one too. :D

I think playing SOE (The campaign version of Ravenmark) will help you get a good sense of what to expect from the series tactically and from a gameplay perspective. The missions are easy to jump into as you're given a set amount of units (or elements) to achieve some predetermined objectives. It also shows you the expansive scale of the game, as some missions are ridiculously packed with both friendly and enemy units, which is something you won't find in Mercenaries because you're limited to two brigades. Obviously you're able to choose what units you send into battle in Mercenaries, but the single player aspect is kinda limited to skirmish maps against the AI.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Out worldwide!

16. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    #136 Crumston, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Huzzah!

Aw! You beat me to the punch! Yes Mercenaries is out one day early worldwide!

In that case, let me just update the lot of you on the whole Android bit, in case you guys have friends who are using the Android OS.

We have a (buggy) Android build up. Lots of testing and troubleshooting to do still but just wanted to update you folks that things are going well.

[​IMG]

You can read more about it here at http://www.witching-hour.net/?p=1373!

Cheers!

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Woot! Installing now :D

18. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! finally a whole to conquer congrats

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #139 sapphire_neo, Jul 10, 2013
    Ooh the Elite Collector's Edition is tempting...

Also, should the Lost Boars to be available to me from the start or do I have to do something to add them? I can't find them in my brigades.

20. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    #140 Crumston, Jul 10, 2013
    Official Announcement: Worldwide release for Mercenaries

Hi guys!

I'm glad to announce the official release of Ravenmark: Mercenaries on the international app stores. We know we're a day early, but that's a good thing yea? You can find the link here!

With the release of Mercenaries, we've decided to put out a 50% discount on the full version of our first title, Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion. For those of you who have yet to try the first game, this is a good opportunity for you to be introduced to the Ravenmark saga and explore its rich lore and storyline. Have I mentioned that completing campaigns from the first game will gain you access to exclusive brigades in Mercenaries? So why wait?

The sale will start at midnight, in all the respective nations, and will last a week. The app store link is here.

Check out the trailer for Scourge of Estellion here if you haven't.

I've been delivering good news all week, and it's put me in a rather good mood. Thank you all, for your continuous support. The saga wouldn't be where it is today without you. Hopefully, we continue to get the kind of support we have, so we can continue to expand the saga. In the meantime, let's revisit the trailers for Mercenaries!

Official launch trailer

Official gameplay trailer

Official premiere trailer

Cheers,
    Khai