Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Bought as part of the recent BDC sale, along with Caylus and Eclipse. Yet to even open those games as my attention has been divided between NH and Zork (I'm in an IF retro mood).

I absolutely *love* NH thus far in (4-player AI - although waiting for my friend to return from holiday to play 2-player MP. It is, after all, a 2-player game at heart). Took me 30 minutes to decipher and get to grips with NH (gameplay, not strategy - that's going to take *much* longer). Although attempting to play as Hegemony straight after Borgo, almost caused me to hurl my iPad in disgust across the lake in Victoria Park!

I *love* the fact that one can play in 15 minutes and still get a great deal of thinking done. NH concentrates on tactical play, not having to remember a million and one bits of different information.

2 quibbles: the actual tile icons are initially confusing, but light years from Race for the Galaxy WTFness. Turning piles prior to placement is a major PITA. Any chance of adding directional arrows to click 'n' twist?

In terms of pure gameplay, this is Ascension good (I've only recently been playing with the expansions in Ascension) in so many ways.

2. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I'm going to have to disagree with this being Ascension good. I've been playing Ascension since it came out and it only gets better and better. NH is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I do get tired of the game after a couple of months that I need a break. Of course the same happens with me with most games: Carcassone, Nightfall, Hero Academy, etc etc. Ascension is the only game I've played continuously since it's release....to me it's like in a whole other level :eek:

BUT...with that said, NH is still an amazing game to play. I own the live game and I love it b/c you can play in one board and against each other. Just a great great game. :eek:

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    NEW UPDATE!
    Gogogo!

PS: Ascension is an evergreen game because it's so incredibly light. I generally play it on auto-pilot, the incredible art and varied cards keep bringing me back to the game. Smash Up! would have been the game to overthrow Ascension but alas, was not to be.

4. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    The update is a little crash happy right now. I've started 3 games against the AI and have only been able to complete one. The other 2 crash during the AI thinking process.

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The game got updated to v.3. For me this update is better but some others don't like it very much. It would be perfect also to have a sale for the bundle and the dlc armies with this new update.
    With the price drops, games are getting more popular and I believe more copies occur.

Thank you developers.

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Man this game just keeps on growing. Constant updates and new armies over 2.5 years since release. The game is great too.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So does this new look make it easier to grab info from tiles (in-hand or played)?

8. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Hehe I tried to see it for myself before seeing your post, but no unfortunately it's like before. They could implement a way that if you press for some seconds on a tile, to have a pop up info regarding this tile only and not doing many undesired clicks and moves. It's not so practical.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I forgot how this game is all about Mexican Standoffs.

I've got a guy down ready to smack my opponent's base, then he puts a guy down that will take out my guy. I respond by placing a sniper that will take out his guy ready to take out mine, but none of this long chain of events will take place until somebody plays a battle tile.

10. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    In order stop playing this repetitive ingame music and play music from itunes library, you have to select music off from settings and then go back to itunes music library, play whatever you want and return again to game. Like this, you can hear game's sound effects and your desired music.
    :):)

11. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Bought a little while back & love it.

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Is there no sound ? In playing in a 6+ and not getting anything at all even after turning sound on and off in options

13. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Another wicked board game on sale!

14. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    New update! New artwork! I think it's better than before!

15. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Aye, it looks like the boardgame now. Looking good.

Also new faction!!

Seriously didn't expect this update, but loving it.

16. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    Just bumping this in the hopes that it gets an update for modern devices and software like so many other presumably dead games have lately. Such a great adaptation. I don’t know if I ever could’ve gotten into the game without the digital version given how much I dislike manually scoring on tabletop.

Somebody should really develop an automatic battle/scoring app for the physical game much like the one that exists for Ticket to Ride.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  17. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Have you contacted Portal support? It is a great port but I can’t restore purchases in my new device so don’t play anymore. I think devs are more likely to respond to a direct request than via this forum.

CygnetSeven likes this.
  18. Alex DeLargest

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    Oh, I know. More just hoping out loud and reminding others how great this port was and that it is now broken.

19. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Are they finally fixing it, or was it removed from the store ahead of the new app release next year?

20. Alex DeLargest

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    If you still have this in your purchase history or on your device, it appears that they fixed the backend somehow. I can restore purchases and even start a game for the first time in years.

sebgo and ColeDaddy like this.