Universal Deep Loot (by Monster and Monster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ :(

Is the mining similar to like "Mines of Mars". And action similar to that as well? It mainly caught my attention because of the loot gathering which MoM doesn't really have to keep me interested (became dark and monotonous after a few hours).

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It's difficult to describe. I must admit I was essentially playing it "wrong" in my first few hours. It's more of a turn-based roguelike than an action platformer - enemies only move when you do and you air (basically a turn-timer) decreases only with actions. The quick nature of gameplay though, with dives lasting around two minutes, makes me want to compare it more to an endless runner type affair.

You're also not going to find loot in the RPG sense of the word; you'll earn currency towards equipment, outfits and boats with unique perks and special one-time boosts but you won't find a "Harpoon gun of piercing +1" if you see what I mean. The main reasons for repeat dives are earning cash for aforementioned purchases, completing relic sets, finding the Easter Eggs that give permanent rewards and finishing your three current quests. The quests are very similar in nature to runners etc. kill X of Y, reach a certain distance without digging, that sort of thing.

It has a lot more in common with more casual affairs than Mines of Mars or other lootfests but writing it off as that would be doing the game a disservice. It's incredibly addictive; you're always making progress and the restart is so cleverly done where you're just a tap away from "one more go". The fact that I can safely say I wasn't playing optimally should suggest that there's an underlying depth to the game. Digging is not something I do very often in the more effective dives; normally used only to avoid strong enemies or carve a more efficient path through the terrain - you're going to be doing a lot more opening of treasure chests, recovering artifacts and blasting away Metroids if I'm honest.

It might sound disappointing to those hoping for an aquatic I Dig It but it's a whole different kind of awesome.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the long write up!

I don't know exactly how that would play as I've never played something like that but it still piques my interest. Turn based is also an interesting twist to a "endless runner" type game. Too bad it's not coming out yet! :l

4. BaronVonMonster

BaronVonMonster Well-Known Member

PeteOzzy pretty much nailed the game with that write up!? Thank you sir!

Our intention was always to create a casual game that you could play a for a few minutes here and there with a bit more depth for those who want to invest the time. The loot acts more like a giant sticker book of stuff to collect and all the suits and ships give different perks to help with your play-style or current mission / achievement hunt.

The reason for the strange real-time / turn based hybrid approach was that we were fed up with mobile games punishing you if distracted by tv / phonecall / train arriving at station etc. Hence the world stops when you do. It's essentially a second-screen game with a snack-sized game-loop :)

Probably worth noting that if the game proves popular we have do have plans to update the game with more missions, tons more loot to collect as well as more locations to discover, easter eggs, outfits and ships....but yeah....we'll have to see what people think once the game is finally released!?

5. BaronVonMonster

#45 BaronVonMonster, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Hello you lovely Touch Arcade peoples! It's update time...

We have resolved our plug-in issue. Hoorah!
    By removing the problematic plug-in. Boooo!

This means we've already submitted a release candidate to the App Store!

We're pretty hopeful it will pass submission but until it does we'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed (currently the update is still waiting for review).

If all goes well we REALLY hope to get Deep Loot into your hands some time next week!
    :D

In the meantime we've put our promotional hats on as we try to work out the best ways in which to let the world know about our silly little game whilst also finishing up a lovely new trailer, a *secret* video and the official soundtrack ready for launch.

It's going to be a crazy / terrifying / exciting week for us but we'll continue to swing by here and keep you posted. The support and encouragement you've all been sending out way has been ace.

Thanks all!

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I can't wait for this to come out! Looks like a mix of Terraria and scribblenauts.

7. evilabdy

evilabdy Well-Known Member

I thought I had read that it will( At least to me and I could be way wrong)
    use a Jet pack joyride IAP style.

Coin doubler etc.

That's totally fine with me if that's true. Not sure how accurate this is though

8. BaronVonMonster

That is correct. Coin Doubler / Coin Packs can be bought as IAPs. EVERYTHING in the game can be unlocked with either in-game currency or discovering something within the game world.

We've tried very hard to make a F2P game that is fair, accessible and fun. We really hope this comes across when everyone finally gets to play.

All we ask is that if you enjoy the game then please consider investing in an IAP or two as every little purchase will help us fund our next game :)

9. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    So, when I get the game, I will buy the coin doubler and other IAPS right away!! The moment I saw this this game, I was like "I am getting this game and buying the IAPS". Too bad, that the game is coming next week.

10. evilabdy

evilabdy Well-Known Member

Awesome! You'll be getting a coin doubler purchase from me :) very excited for this game

11. BaronVonMonster

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

[​IMG]

12. BaronVonMonster

We're very happy to announce that Deep Loot will hit the App Store this Thursday 31st July. Eeeek!

[​IMG]

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Sweet. Sounds like it'll have been worth the wait; looking forward to Thursday.

14. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Hey guys, if any of you subscribed to Monster & Monster newsletter or so, you guys should recieve an email with a Deep Loot voucher code for pre-release download. Just a heads up.

15. BaronVonMonster

Well...a very small handful of very lucky Monster friends have been issued early-access codes ;) We hope you enjoy being one of the first to get to play!

16. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Oh! Very well, thanks for considering me as your friend and thanks for the pre-release code. Oh, by the way, I found a little Spongebob Square Pants reference(No spoilers=No picture of the reference)! Also, I am already starting to enjoy the game with all these upgrades and things.

17. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Go to here:
    www.deeploot.com

Also, that is the game website but that website does not have newsletter. Only Monster & Monster's website has the newsletter and plus I was in contact with Monster & Monster for quite some while.

18. BaronVonMonster

Well we don't actually have a newsletter as we're not entirely sure we'd ever have much to say!? Saying that we generally try to keep everyone up to date via Twitter @BaronVonMonster and our Monster Facebook page both of which we keep pretty informal and enjoy chatting to people on.

As for promo-codes...keep an eye on your PM's. There might be a handful of codes ready to be sent out to a lucky few of you on here ;)

19. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Has it changed to paid or is it still freemium?

(Looks really interesting but freemium leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I tend to avoid it.)

20. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    This game is freaking awesome with a bonus of a Spongebob Squarepants reference. Might be a little hard to discover but hey, it's Spongebob.