Modern Combat 5 iPad Air Performance Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Freeway82, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I noticed this graphics disparity from the videos too. The iPhone version looked sharper and crispier while the iPad Air and Mini Retina version looked blurry and dull.

Honestly, it is such an injustice that someone would shell out close to €1000 to purchase the latest device with the latest tech but still can't get a better experience than someone with an older, smaller device because Devs simply do not care to optimise their games.

It's baffling too considering that the iPad has less processing functions than an iPhone.

2. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    iPad is rendering at a higher resolution though.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I didn`t know that there were any (major?) difference between those two Builds till someone asked my why my Footage was looking more sharper then the other once that had been so far posted on YouTube or on Twitch till someone pointed me into the right direction and I loaded up the Game on my iPad Air and noticed the difference.

I am still wondering why Gameloft did add those chances in the longer run but make Ryan can tell us more about it and if we might see an Upgrade for the iPad Air Build at some later point.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #4 Nekku, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    So the leaked build was running in native resolution on iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina but there was some feedback about bad framerates on both of them so GL decided to lower the resolution because of that?
    Hmm, I dont know what I should think about that. Okay, good performance is important in MP but it feels salty not having maxed out graphics on the newest devices. I doubt there will be any performance updates though. All their other games like Asphalt 8, TASM2 and GT Racing 2 are still running like shit on A7 iPads compared to older hardware.

It's almost a year ago since these devices were introduced...it's sad, rly.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah im a little worried about this. This isnt the optimization i was hoping for from GL. However, im hoping they are doing this as a quick fix, and eventually come out with an optimization fix.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    This is why I stuck with an iPad 4.

7. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

It's about damn time iOS games came with graphics settings. PC games have had the option to choose resolution since the beginning.

Even a simple retina/non-retina switch would lessen the resolution by 75% and allow for major performance boosts for older devices.

Not to mention switches for turning off advanced shaders or antialiasing etc.

8. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    probably a case of 'telling people what they want' will be better in most cases. You give people the option to fiddle, they will end up making things play worse on their device.

That being said, it would be an awesome feature :D

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #9 Rip73, Jul 23, 2014
    Apparently the leaked build had framerate issues on iPad Air.
    It was running at native resolution with full effects but it dipped below 20fps frequently.
    That seems to have been reflected in the final test builds on that device.
    They turned down the resolution on the release build but it has resulted in consistent and stable frame rates.

I'll always take stable framerate over native res so it was the right choice to make.
    The resolution wasn't turned down that much anyway but enough to make a difference to framerate.

Anyway, in reality the amount of stuff out there running at full native resolution is very low, tends to be lower movement type stuff (though not always) and the majority of people don't seem to notice immediately anyway.
    Whereas framerate, one will notice that immediately.
    It was the right choice to make right now.

NOVA 3 had a retina on/off switched added after launch and similar framerate issues at full settings on iPad 3 so perhaps a similar solution is being considered as it is the same dev team.
    And to follow what Mess said, sometimes giving people the option has led to some very bad App Store reviews. The auto detect mechanic is probably for the best as the majority wouldn't necessarily know what to do and nobody wants bad reviews. Or bad performance from having the wrong settings enabled.

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ye, I also prefer performance over resolution. I hate lagg. I hate it so much. Just look at my post history and you will know :D
    There is nothing worse than a bad framerate for me.
    Do you know if the final release also has less effects?

11. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Agreed. The whole point in having the latest hardware is to get the best effect in games like this. That the graphics are scaled down defeats the purpose of having the latest device if you can't use its potential to the maximum. So they've had a year and still can't optimise it? Very disappointing.

12. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    My iPad Air is as fast as my old iPad 4 on the likes of Asphalt 8.

"Running like shit" is a huge over exaggeration. And I wouldn't give up my Air to take my 4 back off my wife for anything.

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #13 Nekku, Jul 23, 2014
    It's not. At least not for 80% of my iOS games history and MC5 just proofs it again.

14. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Every graphically intense iOS game I own runs identical on the 4 and Air.

And I've sat down with both at the same time and can do so at any time as both are in my home. I'm talking MC4, Nova 3, NFS MW (which runs smoother on my Air than my old 4), Soul Calibur, Asphalt 8, Space Hulk, Infinity Blade 3, etc.

15. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    The iPad also renders at something around 4 or 5 times the resolution of the iPhone 5 and 5s. It makes perfect sense as to why the iPad version has a blurrier (low-res) image; how else are they going to let it run smoother?

16. jonnyb086

jonnyb086 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    MC4 runs much better on the iPad Air when you have the high quality graphics turned on. It's was very choppy on the iPad 4 almost unplayable at times.

17. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Agreed.

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Deus Ex - unplayable
    GTA SA - far from smooth, mostly bad frame drops
    Godfire - playable, but graphic settings are ultra low (I've posted a pic in the thread how it looked like. Completely different than on iPad 4)
    CoD Striketeam - unplayable as soon as you enter the city
    Gangstar Vegas - unplayable
    Minecraft 0.9.4 - heavy framedrops when many trees are rendered, making it unplayable for me
    Wild Blood - framedrops everywhere

Just a couple of games which were running without any problems on iPad 4. You see, there are differences.
    I dont want to argue with you on that anymore pls. I wouldnt complain without any reason.

19. Paul202

Paul202 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    School
    MI, USA
    Not trying to incite anything here, but you should get you iPad checked out. Of the games I have on that list, all of them run great with great graphics and no frame rate drops. I don't know why your iPad is having such difficulties running those games. Not trying to send like a stupid apple employee, but I've found that if my iPad is running slow then plugging it in the computer and syncing I with itunes helps quite a bit.

20. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Gotta disagree on some bro. God fire, gangstar, and cod run flawless for me. Don't play the others so I can't speak. My iPad Air runs sweet