Santander Bank scam

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VaroFN, Sep 16, 2014.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    If you receive an e-mail with a security notification that wants you to click a link that sends you to a page very similar to Santander's, DON'T DO IT. It's a scam. The page itself it's called nihonchiken. Just delete the e-mail.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    These types of emails have been going around for years. If people are stupid enough nowadays to click them its their own fault. Same with 'i'm king um bongo, please give me your bank details so i can give you 28 million dollars....'

Banks will NEVER send an email saying 'click here' , they always say please log on and check your account.

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I know, but posting it just in case. The page from that link looks exactly like the one from the bank, but the orthographic faults from the e-mail made me suspicious. Then I checked the link and searched about it and it was indeed a scam, and even though it seems to be a known one, hotmail doesn't seem to be smart enough to send it to the spam folder.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    There are so many of these. Just in the last week I got a text message and two emails from "banks" I don't have an account at to click here to fix my security settings. They are from popular banks that figure there are suckers out there that will click on anything.

This is nothing new. Just be cautious.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I don't think it's a case of stupidity in most people, just lack of awareness, I can see how people still get suckered in, esp people who are getting their first computer, I still know several people who don't have regular access to the internet, mostly the older generation, I know there are sites you can visit to read of latest scams etc. but that depends on the person knowing about it in the first place and when you're new to the internet it's a pretty overwhelming thing and I can see them get confused when I talk about computer related.

Sometimes yes it's stupidity - my father in law gave all his card and payment details along with full remote access to his system over to someone in India, they claimed to be from Microsoft and to have found a virus on his PC. They took a lot of money from his bank, which I'm not sure he will ever get back. Thing is I told him all about these types of scams when he got his PC, I helped choose antivirus and all that stuff, turns out he turned it off because it was taking hours to scan each week and he thought the person from India was genuine as he knew his name!!! You would think he would have learnt but no, he still clicks on stuff he shouldn't, his PC has a million pop ups before anything loads.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    That's staggering.. I honestly didn't think anyone actually fell for those scams. I mean like people think Microsoft scan your PC for viruses. No offence intended but wow.. I'm surprised. o_O

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's not uncommon for people to fall for it, otherwise they wouldn't repeat the same scams over and over again. I've actually had the phone call Cloudpuff mentioned but the same scam had been on TV recent to it and a guy at works parents fell for it around the same time as well.