Your experience with iOS 8??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by pluto6, Sep 18, 2014.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I generally am an early adopter with most technology, and in the past I have looked forward to, downloaded and installed each new versions of iOS - however, I am holding off on doing this with iOS 8 for a few reasons.

There are issues with the camera roll / photo stream parts of the iOS. Some aspects that were available (and may be alluded to in various news media since they all still have betas) were removed in the Gold / Master and are back on the beta table.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1777160

In the various forums that seems to be the major issue that people are having. But, there is also the typical complaints of slowdowns, shortened battery life, etc.

Perhaps more important are that apps that sync across platforms (for instance 1 Password) won't sync anymore with iCloud, as they are designed to use Yosemite iOS - and that is not out yet - so there may be apps that you rely on that won't work until Yosemite comes out.

I would be curious to see what people's experience is with the new iOS

2. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    I am using an iPad 4 and I personally think this is a very poor update. I can see very few changes, and the changes that have been made are mostly trivial things like being able to say 'hey siri'. Who cares?

There are also some real negatives. The Time-lapse mode on the camera serves virtually no purpose from what I can tell, and when you try to look at the video you just made, the camera app freezes.
    Also, if you delete a photo/video, it doesn't delete it, it moves it to a 'recently deleted' folder, from which you then have to delete the photo again - 99% of the time this is useless and an irritating waste of time.
    There is also no camera roll on the photos app, just a 'recently added' section. This means if you want to find a photo/video from a long time ago, you need to go in that photo part where it has all the hundreds of different photos you have crammed together as tiny 1mmx1mm thumbnails which is unbelievably impractical.

There are a few benefits, like Metal, if your device allows it. Also the suggestions on the keyboard are a nice touch, although they are really not necessary. The best thing about this update for people who don't have Metal support is the videos on the App Store - and the fact that this is the best thing about their 'biggest update ever' is really disappointing...

Maybe I'm missing things, but it just seems to be adding more unnecessary features to make the experience more confusing than it needs to be.

Siri isn't helpful in the slightest.
    The keyboard suggestions save you 0.01 seconds of time.

More negatives than positives in my opinion.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't updated yet, but I'm looking forward to 3rd party keyboards, the ability for app interaction, 3rd party Share plugins, etc. But I can't speak first hand on it. My iPhone 4 can't be upgraded to it and my iPad 2 is jailbroken and I don't want to lose that so I'm waiting for a reliable jailbreak for iOS 8.

However I hope to get an iPhone 6 soon and that will of course have it.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #4 Nekku, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    You are talking about iCloud Drive which needs Yosemite if you want to sync data between your iDevice and Mac once you have activated "Drive" on your iCloud account. You don't have to activate it though.
    I have 1password installed on my iPad and my iPhone both with iOS8 installed and it syncs just fine between these two devices and my iCloud account. There is no iOS app which needs any OSX version to run properly on your device itself. This wouldn't make any sense at all.

Shortened battery life is placebo imo. There wasn't one single iOS update were ppl didn't complained about a shorter battery life. Ofc ppl are using their devices more often after every major update to see which changes and additions were made.
    There are also some more options about background updating etc but this can be usually set to off.

I'm happy with iOS 8 and even dropped my jailbreak for it. If a new one comes around I'll probably jailbreak again but till then features like Metal, iDrive Cloud and deeper sharing feature integration between apps are way more important to me atm.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Should I update?

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    people said that ios8 is good only on iphone 5s/6/6plus...

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    @Nekku -
    What are you doing with the photo stuff? Or is that not important to you? It sounds like they did away with the Camera roll and replace it with the system that they have on iPhoto..
    Also, does it have a way of disabling photo share, or whatever it is that automatically syncs with the cloud?

Thanks for your experience with 1 Password. I currently use DropBox so the Yosemite issue should not be a problem for me, but I have heard of other programs on the Mac that also requires Yosemite and people are frustrated.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am curious if anyone has tried updating an iPad 2. How does it perform on those?

9. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Honestly, I didn't tried yet but I don't use photostream either so no, it's not really important to me as I prefer to save private photos on my NAS drive instead. And yes, you can disable it.

To the guy above me:
    I've read it runs terrible on A5 devices.

10. Crazyleo

Crazyleo Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Unemployed
    ON Canada
    Agreed. If you have an A5 device, I recommend NOT getting iOS 8.

11. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ipod touch... Too late

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    No. Performance on A5 devices is awful.

13. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I noticed on my iPad Mini's browser, when you had to swype down to make the navigation bar appear, you now have to do it quickly instead of just doing the movement. It's irritating (for me) as I change pages quickly multiple times and lose track of where I am after a quick swype.

14. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    self-quote:
    But I've also read that users who are complaining about iOS 8's slowness on their A5 devices are...nitpicking. :D

(I swear I've read this)

15. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    It's little slower on my Ipad Mini Retina compared to IOS7, but nothing groundbreaking,
    it doesn't really matter to me if game start in 5 seconds or 6 seconds.
    Battery usage seems to be same as with previous IOS.
    I mainly did the update for METAL.

16. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I like the update for the most part, I'm already getting a lot of use on the health app.

But the photos app changes are obnoxious. I use my phone for throwaway photos and to delete them but them not be deleted is a terrible experience for me personally.

17. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I realised that they took away the Camera Roll. The photos are still there, but now my iPhone photos, my iPad photos and the photos synced from my computer are all mixed together. Really annoying.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've got it now as I upgraded to an iPhone 6 (from a 4) this morning. I like it a lot so far. But that doesn't tell you anything about how it runs on previous phones. On an iPhone 6 it's great. Ha ha! :) The lack of camera roll is weird, but I like seeing the photos grouped together by event or whatever it is. Still, they should have kept the camera roll view. Maybe in an update? There is a camera roll in the camera app, but you can only view it by swiping back, one pic at a time.

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am jealous. I have a 6 plus on order but not going to get it until October sometime. Lots and Lots of complaints about the way they handled the photos - some aspects went back to beta, there were so many complaints. Hopefully the update will make things more user friendly, or allow an option between camera roll and the new way of handling it.