Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Man, I would love some Jedi Knight on iOS. It might be hard to translate the controls, though.

I would rather have KOTOR 2 anyway.

You might want to check out The Shadow Sun too. It's no Dragon Age (or KOTOR) by any means, but it's a pretty decente mobile RPG in the same vein as Bioware RPG's (it's made by ex Bioware devs, IIRC).

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1062 Ayjona, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    KOTOR was eminently playable on my iPhone 5S. I have seen few ports translate this well to iOS, and with the exception of some graphical elements, KOTOR felt entirely native.

I haven't taken it up yet on my 6 (forgot to enable cloud saves before I deleted KOTOR to make room a while back, and not keen on replaying the first hours for the third or fourth time :) ), but I expect the experience to be second to almost no other RPG for iOS.

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I have been playing it back and forth on my iPhone 5S and iPad 2. Works and looks great on both! I was surprised at how easy the menus and controls were on the small 5S screen.

4. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #1064 Crabman, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    This might be a dumb question but i did not play it for a while (and now the first time on ios 8) but the blue arrows in the portrait shows that i levelled up,right?So,where in the menu can i spend some points on something like"strength" etc.along with selecting a new force talent etc?I can't find it anymore,lol.

edit:nevermind,the arrow is even bigger and a yellow one.

5. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Anybody else missing the small movies when flying from one to another planet?I know they are basically more like loading screens but also steals a little bit of athmosphere/immersion if you choose a planet and"plopp"...you are there.
    And what about the random fighter attacks in space?

No,i'm not asking for more loading times ;)

In fact i'm very happy that Kotor loads with lightspeed now,i remember it was PAINFULLY slow back on Xbox 1.One of the longest loading times in console history :)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not missing those. Game runs quick and probably doesn't need them. Might be more filesize as well if they're there. Fine without them

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    So I came back to this after a long break and ran into what I think is a bug, and possibly a game breaker. I have the quest from Canderous to break into the Sith base to get the launch codes, and the first step is to get the droid from Janice. But when I go talk to her, there's no option to discuss the droid (or to tell her Canderous sent me). Am I missing something?

8. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Are you sure that you finished talking to canderous?

9. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yes, got through all the conversation choices

10. MrJoshThomson

MrJoshThomson New Member

Mar 23, 2015
    #1070 MrJoshThomson, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    How to win Swoop Races on iPad

I agree, and I found the answer.

Use your thumbs and tap repeatedly.

I did it and won everything in 20 minutes.

Also, crank up the sensitivity.

In game, Go into Options, Gameplay and turn up the Touch Sensitivity all the way

Race holding the pad in both hands and steer with your thumbs on either side side of the screen, tapping/stroking almost brushing the way you want to go with the corresponding thumb.

Tap repeatedly so it also changes the gears - don't worry about changing early, it doesn't matter - it certainly didn't matter to me when I shifted.

I suddenly lost 5 seconds off my time, and clocked both tracks in 20 minutes once I used my thumbs.

Full sensitivity for Tatooine, half for Manaan. You swerve more on Tatooine.

Good luck!

11. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Man, every time I see this thread pop up, I am reminded of how this remains easily the best RPG I have played on the iPhone and I'm not even a Star Wars fan.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Never played the sequel, be amazing if that came to iOS. Think we have to email the devs to beg !

13. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    And then ask the devs to get Aspyr to port it like they did this one. They've done such a great job making this work on my phone!

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The sequel didnt sweep me like the first one did, but it was still fantastic and i completed it about 3 and a half times. Never really finished that Blaster build, which i did with KOTOR1 in my last playthrough. ;)

15. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    So glad I went back for a 3rd time & really gave this the effort it deserved. I tried before & got bored & quit. I really hated Taris & thought that was all the game was going to offer me - ie; lots of back & forth with not much excitement. But my gosh once you put some time & thought into it this game opens up & is fantastic. I was pleasantly pleased when I saw the game started to expand & become what I had hoped it would be. Seriously I could have easily missed this & what a shame that would have been. Ok off to Manaan with my crew.

16. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Subtitles

Anyone know why is it whenever I turn off subtitles, there still there? It's like they are permanently on. Always wondered why it does that but I can't the answer anywhere. I'm on an iPod 5 too incase anyone's wondering.

17. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    I don't know if you can shut them off in dialogue in the iOS version. I am pretty certain you can shut off the general subtitles though, and if that's what you're asking, I can't help there. Mine are always fine

18. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Guys how's it on small screen? The sale is very tempting.

19. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Just depends on if that's how you regularly play games. I have it on my iPhone, iPad, and Macs, and I mostly play it on my iPhone because that's how I most enjoy gaming. With a pipe on my porch and my iPhone, I am content. So, if you game easy on your iPhone then you'll probably be able to handle the many menus and small selection areas. I rarely tap on the wrong thing, but I'm a smaller guy so my hands aren't huge.

20. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Which iPhone are you playing on?