Universal Stellar Horizon (by S.MARSAULT)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 19, 2016.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've only seen No Man's Sky on videos and read loads of reviews, but I see my feelings were right regarding that game's shallowness. I guess that what it has is a great marketing business behind it. Sylvain, you should try and get your game promoted. Have you sent promo codes to online magazines? That might be of great help.

2. tintin888

tintin888 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I totally agree! This game is fantastic, all it needs is some recognition

3. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    The best thing we can do is hop over to the App Store and post 5 star reviews. Right now this game is sitting at 3.5 stars. Probably due to early release quality and no tutorial. That's not going to draw too much attention.

4. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    There is a tutorial, but it's written

5. marsaults

marsaults Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    #805 marsaults, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Indeed, i haven't done a lot communication for Stellar Horizon... It is far less interesting than making updates! But you are true, some efforts should be made here. I'm sure that having more users would motivate me to improve the game even more! I will try to see what can be done. Anyways, thanks again for you support guys!

Attached Files:

6. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Will this be coming to Apple TV?

7. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I was referring to the early one star ratings that it was getting.

8. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    Ah, I see. Yes your right. Sense there are so many updates (thank you Sylvain), the app can't get an average#
    Are those ice planets!?!

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    They do look like beautiful ice planets, and the surfaces seem to be made with an improved renderer.

10. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Le Grand Marsaults

marsaults, this topic has over 100,000 views and nearly 1000 replies; trust me, this game is definitely drawing interest. Stellar Horizon is perhaps the first game of its kind on the AppStore that truly gives the player a TRUE space game experience; I have not seen any other games in the AppStore that allows you to do the things that you can do in this game. We absolutely need you to continue making Stellar Horizon even more stellar; if you truly have the passion for space games, you will continue to make this game even better while at the same time, gain more knowledge and experience. You have many supporters! :)

This is the closest game to No Man's Sky on mobile, and judging from the mixed reviews, it may even seem that this game may truly be No Man's Sky's mobile rival counterpart, hahaha!

Thank you very much for the most recent update; it is a great improvement! Also, the music greatly enhances the experience! That was a great idea and a great choice! Those ice planets look very beautiful, and I'm excited to see those as well...also, animal life was an awesome implementation! :D

Now, I wonder how you could make traversing the surface of planets faster at higher...I've been thinking and theorizing...

STELLAR HORIZON FASTER PROCEDURAL GENERATION THEORY

Since we're dealing with procedural generation, perhaps there could be a way to start pre-loading/pre-generating a planet's surface data early. Perhaps while the player is traveling to the planet, this could happen.

EXAMPLE:
    Player is LOCKED onto a planet; once the planet is locked, it will begin pre-loading/pre-generating the surface data in the background. If the planet LOCK is removed, then the pre-loading/pre-generating is stopped and likely deleted. If the app is closed, the pre-loaded/pre-generated data will be saved (auto).

LOGISTICAL DETERMINERS FOR STELLAR HORIZON FASTER PROCEDURAL GENERATION THEORY

Most people will not explore the ENTIRE surface of the planet, so perhaps making a sacrifice could be plausible. To support my theory, the pre-loaded/generated data could be used to generate a large area(s) on the planet surface, so when the player arrives on the planet, the large area could already be generated...maybe the first 5,000~10,000 meters could be pre-loaded/generated. I believe that most people will not travel beyond 10,000m, as it would take too much time (in the game's current state).

Theoretically, with a pre-loaded/generated planet surface, smooth fluid movement (not tile-by-tile) could be possible because the area would already be generated. This could allow the player to freely move around in real-time (like when traveling in space).

Anything beyond the pre-loaded/generated range would require additional loading until further implementation/expanding could be done...probably have to use the old tile-by-tile and S0/S1 movements at this point.

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    #811 imdakine1, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Beginner Advice?

Any tips for a newbie. I've reviewed a lot on this forum over the past several months but not playing a space game before I felt a bit overwhelmed with even trying this game. Seeing the love by many TA forum members made me take the plunge!

I'm confused on the concept of procedure generated planets. Any othe forum listing planets people found?

Thanks for any suggested tips for newbies!

What is the difference with new vs new game random system?

12. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    I completely agree with you! If planet exploration was faster and no longer grid based (as if you were walking on the planet), it would be smooth and incredible! Planet exploration is my favorite part of this game

13. drh1961

drh1961 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Beginner tips

VBF and I have a few tips posts buried in here. Check out posts 753, 755, 758 to start.

Also in new game everyone starts in the same system. Random is just that, you could start out anywhere. Keep in mind you may start in a system you have no business being in!

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! I have to admit that this is the most challenging game I've ever paid for someone that hasn't played this style of game. The written guide is somewhat helpful but I wish I could have it in a PDF format as I need to refer to it.

So far overwhelmed and completely lost!

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There's a price drop at the moment, from $2.99 to $1.99. Sylvain, I think it's a good promotional move. I already made a thread for this in the "price drops" thread :)

16. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    My post #716 is a getting started guide a wrote a couple weeks back for someone who had the same problems getting started. It doesn't get into any mid or late game tactics, it's just a guide to help you wrap your head around what this game is and the basics of navigation.

Once you learn the basics the game becomes much less intimidating and the gameplay mechanics become second nature.

17. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Thanks for this post Senkoujin!
    Don't worry, i don't plan to give up the development of Stellar Horizon soin, it is still very inspiring to me. Plus, many of you here give me great motivation. It would be harder without any real players appreciation.
    Concerning the procedural generation, for the moment it is impossible for me to reach real time movement. I have to progress! But i hope i will manage to speed it up nevertheless.

18. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Welcome imdakine!

a PDF would be a great idea! (with screenshots...). In fact, it would be cool to have a real manual, like old games used to have!
    If my english were better, i would have create such a manual!
    I hope you will soon understand all the game's mechanism, and that it will give you lot of fun!

19. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Thanks VBF! I didn't know this thread.

20. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Admittedly if I had a PS4 or PC, No Man's Sky would still be one of the first games I would buy since I enjoy exploring and in my lameness would get too much enjoyment just walking around noticing the differences between planets. Many are/were upset with broken promises and specifically lack of multiplayer in NMS but at the end of the day marketing is the art of BS no matter how well a game is received and everyone should take pre-release hype with a grain of salt, heck I still enjoy Molyneux's projects since I tend not to listen to his overly ambitious hyperbole before release. Gamers unfortunately tend to be just as hyperbolic about games before release as developers , "this will be the greatest game ever!!11!!" type of craziness that I had to endure about NMS on message boards across the digital landscape. With that said, even if their intentions are good, Hello Games really needed to be more realistic and keep quiet if features were not guaranteed to make it into the end result.

One of the things that did annoy me a little bit with NMS, but it isn't just a issue with that game, Is that humans tend to have a very 1950's golden age view of alien life. When watching the NMS gameplay a lot of the alien life still felt very familiar to human or pet earth life. The type of bias is understandable since developers want the player to relate to the alien life they encounter but the beauty of alien life is that sometimes aliens should feel genuinely unrelated to us. I would love for a sci-if game to think more outside the box. How about intelligent/unintelligent bacteria or mold on planet surfaces? Or creatures with aquatic like qualities in a very dense atmospheric planet. Or billions upon billions of small vines / wormlike creatures just underneath the planets surface that make the brittle crust shift like a hot apple pie that just came out of the oven. I don't want to say NMS doesn't have the more abstract types of life but from the couple hours of gameplay iv'e watched the creatures seemed quite similar.

....sorry about the NMS rant but I had to get that off my chest. :eek: