Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 PM

As a huge Rogue Touch fan, and just from a player's perspective, I'd also love to see the dev take some cues from Rogue Touch. Of course, NetHack has such a crazy amount of commands but then it seems to have that many out of stubborness for than anything else. It would take a lot of thought and work to really streamline. No easy task.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Only for 3.0 software, no 2.x.x support...
owned...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
As a huge Rogue Touch fan, and just from a player's perspective, I'd also love to see the dev take some cues from Rogue Touch. Of course, NetHack has such a crazy amount of commands but then it seems to have that many out of stubborness for than anything else. It would take a lot of thought and work to really streamline. No easy task.
Glad you're a fan of RT! I do agree that the massive amount of commands would be difficult to streamline. Certainly not a task to take lightly, and it may be even more difficult depending on how the code is written (haven't bothered to download the source and peek at it yet, but maybe later this week).

Unfortunately Tempy's comments on "bugginess" are correct. I was able to get it to lock up and not accept commands a few times in a very short play span.

Great to see Nethack appear, but it needs some love and polish
Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 AM

Hi guys, I'm the author of iNetHack. If you have any bug reports or suggestions for improvements please visit http://code.google.com/p/inethack/issues/list

Trying to address some posts:

- OS 2.x.x compatibility is on the issue list
- The interface is for advanced players who know the keyboard shortcuts by heart. I had to rewrite it several times to enable fast play (and will probably rewrite it a couple more)
- You can kick doors with '^d'. It's on the top shortcut list
- I've played rogue touch and liked it. NetHack has a crazy amount of commands and possibilities of gameplay that it's very hard to streamline that. I hope this will improve as more developers start contributing ideas and code

If you'd like to contact me I suggest my blog (http://blog.dirkz.com). I will setup up PMs here though so I get notified.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Oh, Glorious NetHack! I shall attempt to take a dwarven caveman to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor.

Thanks Dirkz!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut View Post
I have no idea what to do
Die in the most hillarious fashions. Then do it again
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

This is pretty good, but clearly there are problems. I have been waiting for someone to make this for the iphone.

Main problem:

The game locks up way too easily. Access the command menu a few times, and the game just stops responding. The character can't move and the none of the commands work after that.

Hope you get Commander Data to help you. Rogue Touch rocks.

Last edited by Ravenblack; 08-03-2009 at 08:46 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Are you refering to the extended menu freezing up gameplay? Because that's already fixed on the dvl trunk. I haven't seen any problems with the main menu freezing, if that's the case please submit it as bug.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
This is pretty good, but clearly there are problems. I have been waiting for someone to make this for the iphone.

Main problem:

The game locks up way too easily. Access the command menu a few times, and the game just stops responding. The character can't move and the none of the commands work after that.

Hope you get Commander Data to help you. Rogue Touch rocks.
Hi Ravenblack! Good to see you around here still, thanks for the thumbs up on Rogue Touch I'll actually be continuing development on it shortly

Nethack's a tricky beast to streamline as you can imagine. I've just made contact with Dirkz via PM to open discussion on iNetHack's UI. I almost wonder if maybe there should be a separate Nethack UI thread (maybe in the developer section of the forums here) where anyone who would like to make interface suggestions could go and put their thoughts in?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Another vote to emulate what CD & Co have done with Rogue Touch. You see what happens when a quick port is released but proper developer support doesn't follow (cough gandreas cough) and also what happens when it does... Rogue Touch was raw when it first came out but through an insane level of developer support emerged a version that to me is more freaking fun than the original. They managed to condense what could have been a convoluted mess into a highly usable touch interface that makes gameplay a flawless experience. Emulate this with iNetHack and we'll have a nice little addition to the roguelike stable.