Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
The controls are fine. They Prey controls were fine. They give you a multitude of options for the controls whether it be by type or sensitivity, so you should be able to find one that works for you. Granted, they aren't as good as Wolf 3Ds controls...those are fantastic, but those dont have up/down movement to account for. Just like in Prey, there is a small time to get acclimated, then it became second nature to me. I think that people have this massive rush to judgement whenever a game comes out, and they want to immediately be the first to say either it's GREAT or it SUCKS. Give yourself some time with the game...it just came out. Let's not rush to judgement. I'm looking forward to digging in some more myself...
Hi,

Strangely the analog controls are worse than prey. I don't know why, but they are. It doesn't record your movements. The best work around is to use the analog pad as a tap-pad. Not a stick. (this is on 3GS)

arn
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I don't know, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I thought they handled exactly the same as Prey...maybe a little faster, but that can be adjusted. I'm on a 3GS, and if anything, the movement was TOO fast on default. I'm going to play with that a bit, but the controls have been fine to me...but then again I liked the Prey controls, so I'm probably in the minority.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't know, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I thought they handled exactly the same as Prey...maybe a little faster, but that can be adjusted. I'm on a 3GS, and if anything, the movement was TOO fast on default. I'm going to play with that a bit, but the controls have been fine to me...but then again I liked the Prey controls, so I'm probably in the minority.
It's not a matter of opinion, I'm afraid, but may be individual device dependent. I'll post a brief video showing what I'm talking about.

arn
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
It's not a matter of opinion, I'm afraid, but may be individual device dependent. I'll post a brief video showing what I'm talking about.

arn
OK...I'll take a gander. What device are you using?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post

arn
If the controls are as bad Prey, that isn't good. Personally, I didn't like the controls in that game and if these worse, that doesn't bode well.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock View Post
This game has the potential to be great except everyone who said the controls are lacking is right. The new control scheme is plain weird. With the dual sticks they have the right idea and in theory they have done everything right except the accuracy of the dual sticks. Most of the time it doesn't register my thumb movements properly. It either doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction. If they fine tune these control sticks so they are much more accurate and sensitive to small thumb movements, this game would rule. It needs an update right away to the controls or else it will bomb. The devs should go play Wolfenstein 3d and emulate the accuracy of those controls and this will be a great game. Until then I would stay away from it.

Im afraid I just wasted $3.
I since discovered that the slider controls work ok if you put them in position where they are over lapping in a plus symbol. So i take it back not quite a waste of money but they could still use much better dual sticks. I do love the tap to shoot option where you tap anywhere and it shoots there. That is great.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

here's why people are saying the control stick sucks

Youtube link | Pop Up

In Prey it works as you'd expect. Move stick -> player moves.
In Duke Nuke'm (for some) move stick -> sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

just tried the dual sticks and arn seems to be right, if I change direction while keeping them pressed, it doesn't record the second direction! while if I just "tap" it seems to work...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Yeah, I misunderstood Arn's post...I didn't know he was referring specifically to the dual sticks. I don't use that control method, I prefer the sliders. It sure looks like the dual sticks need to get addressed in an update though. Control sliders work fine for me, though (but like I said, I'm probably in the minority there).
Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Arn, and others,

You are absolutely correct about the controls and I apologize. You have my word this will all be addressed as soon as possible in an update. I was not aware the control situation until the game had already shipped.

Hang in there a short bit and I'm sure the game will control as well as it can on the iPhone, soon.