GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Who is the annoying guy who follows me now?

2. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm on a jailbroken device and didn't have any problems.

Just recorded a pretty good score on Golden Skull, #1 on the regular boards and on OF. The 5th rocket jump helped, how were people getting all the gems at speed before it was added?

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Wait, you don't have HC? Its kinda one of those games thats a must have, because personally, I love it, but I don't play as seriously as some other people. But its still a perfect game to have on my Touch for whenever I'm bored and need a game to play.

And, by buying HC, you're directly contributing to the dev's Totino's pizza roll fund! :D

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I've heard this from another person, too. I actually went back and forth constantly on whether or not to make the DLC purely cosmetic... maybe I should have. I just never liked cosmetic-only DLC: even in games I like, I tend to pass them up. It's a pretty valid point, though: There's lots of people who could really use a free survival character. I tried to do that a little with Jake, but Hookbot is definitely better for just chillin'.

Anyway, I'll keep reading opinions, good and bad, on the DLC. Maybe I'll even take it to a vote?

Really? I like the quick char select icons, personally. I thought they really screamed "Hey, these are interesting buttons!"

2.4 has openfeint user data restore, and that's one of the Update 3 features.

And yeah, Jailbroken people can tend to have difficulty with DLC. Not always, but a lot of the time. There's articles on Google to help with this.

We've hit 50 or around there, briefly. But yeah, mostly steady sales. Enough to buy pizza rolls.

Keep those DLC opinions coming. Later on I'll discuss possible alternate plans for DLC that we could do, instead. Keep in mind that the DLC experiment's whole purpose is us trying to find a way to raise production value while lowering initial price. Ideally, we want to find a way to do this without disappointing anyone. With enough opinions from people, I can find the best way to proceed.

5. SunLanding

SunLanding New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    How do you get the Top Hat for Hookbot shown in promo screens? I demand class for my robots.

Also a glitch I noticed is that it doesn't save my preference to have Hookbot in his silver body if I leave the game.

6. mattman93

mattman93 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I will only be buying Hookbot if I'm guareented my money will be spent on pizza rolls.

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I think that is pretty much guaranteed :D

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's a very well done game, from the art to the control, etc.

I would have picked it up except that I had a really hard time getting into the swing of things in the demo (that I've got way too much stuff on my iPod right now) but will probably revisit it in the future...

That being said, I think it's gotta be one of the best $0.99 games on the store.

9. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    How do I do an openfeint user data restore? I played a couple rounds after I'd updated to 1.3, but I deleted & reinstalled the app and even when I log into that same account I just started at the very beginning.

10. SunLanding

SunLanding New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Also, if you couldn't tell, I love Hookbot, his character design is great. I also like the icons at the main screen.

Hands down my favorite game on the iPod by the way, I just wish there was a list of hats and how to get them somewhere! Props!

11. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Kepa wanted opinions on the DLC in another thread. So here's mine. I don't like it. The moment someone says "Thanks for paying, ... and another thing, if you pay a bit more, then you could have this extra bit too. Thanks for paying for that DLC, here's another..." I feel like they are stringing me along. It's such a turnoff. It doesn't matter what your intentions were, this sort of thing comes with a lot of baggage.

I am not convinced by the whole "you don't have to get it you know" argument. Anytime I pay for a 1.0 software, the publisher can easily make that argument, then sell me each update as a DLC- think about evernote: they could easily say "we never promised you any new features after 1.0, so how about you pay for this DLC that allows you offline access to your notes (which they just released for free)). I really hope this behaviour doesn't become rampant...

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Cool. I don't.

You can't yet, I believe that features only in the latest version of OF which will be in the next Hook Champ update. Looks like you gotta start over, which should be fun! :)

I tend to agree with GregB on this one. To the hardcore players, Hookbot probably seems more like a novelty. But to the casual player, which I'm guessing there's far more of, it seems like a way they can enjoy the game more but it's gonna cost them a buck. I don't think people are against the idea of DLC or supporting you beyond the initial game price. I just think in this instance the DLC character offers too much of a benefit to have it be a "buy it only if you feel like giving us extra support" type thing. I would be happy with exclusive outfits, hats, or purely cosmetic characters for DLC. That's just my opinion on this particular matter.

LOL, I'll admit I didn't really like the buttons at first. But they've grown on me. And it's way more convenient, which is the most important point. Everything else about the update is awesome, great job! I really like Hookbot and all the new hats/costumes. I'm out of coins at the moment but really want that rainbow afro :cool:

Kepa, also curious if you saw my post here. Wondering about how gravity works in the Space levels and about a possible new game.

Ok, real reason I'm posting. I finally got my #1 spot on the leaderboard!! For Stone Wimpy! I honestly never thought it would happen, unless I somehow got lucky and posted a good score mere seconds after the weekly boards get wiped. I mean, I've put up a couple decent scores here and there, but the elite at this game are truly ELITE. I never thought there was hope for me. But as they say, try try again and that's what I did. Plus, just had one of those "everything goes right and I don't screw up" runs. Near flawless, although there's definitely room for improvement as it's only #5 on the all time leaderboard. I'm just soooooo happy right now!!! :D:D The feeling of accomplishment is great, this game just gets better and better every time I play it. I'm sure my score won't stick around for long, but at least I got my crown and the final achievement. And for those who think they could never get a #1 spot, just keep trying and keep playing the levels you're good at. It's totally possible if you just commit to it.

Like Kevin Garnett, anything is possible. :p

13. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I think the DLC is quite fair because the game is getting free updates along with that. I think it would be another story if the developer only released paid updates. This way, I believe both camps should be quite satisfied because plenty of stuff comes with the free update. The DLC, like someone mentioned before, is just a way for those - who have the means - to send some funds to the developers, who then update the game for everyone or work on future projects.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That's another vote for "no DLC whatsoever, as the concept of it is offensive".

That's another vote for "I would have preferred something purely cosmetic". So far, I'm leaning towards this idea the most, more than "stop all DLC" or "Hookbot was fine". More on this at the bottom of the post.

The space levels have normal gravity, it's just a visual thing. We're going to start work on a new game after update 3, more details in like a month.

That's a vote for "keep the DLC the same".

What we're probably going to try next is a final DLC character attached to the stuff we do in update 3, that's solely cosmetic but really flashy. We'll compare those numbers to Hookbot's, both in terms of DLC sales and iTunes ratings. From there, we'll decide whether to try functional DLC or cosmetic DLC to offset production value costs for the next game we're going to work on. A third option is to not do any DLC at all for the next game, but that option has consequences. Frankly, we'd have to do something else to offset a higher production value.

15. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I bought Hookbot, but I don't love it. The main reason was to support Rocketcat and hopefully contribute towards further development of Hook Champ (and also because I wanted to play a level as a robot in a top hat).

I realize I'm in the minority, though, that doesn't need to explore the levels without the Chaser hassling you constantly, as I already have most of them committed to memory. So I can understand people thinking Hookbot should've been included for free to allow more casual players to explore the levels and discover secrets.

Personally, I'd be quite happy throwing $0.99 at a few new hats/outfits/hooks. Whatever DLC you decide to include, there will always be someone complaining that it should've been free, or included with the original release. And I'm still rooting for my idea of a skeleton character who takes the idol back into the cave to switch it with his skull that Jake stole. With a rope that looks like a load of bones stuck together. *crosses fingers* :eek:

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Who is the annoying guy who follows me?

17. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    your boyfriend?

18. Ramses

Ramses Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Kepa,

Is it possible to release a level editor for Hook Champ? In a way that the players can create and share their creations?

I really would like to see more levels, and at least for me i didnt want all of the ones you release to be extremelly difficult always.

Thanks!

19. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    #1019 RJ, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    Your probably talking about that weird black thing that spits stuff at you?
    Yeah. That is the Chaser. He kills you, now run, RUN!

EDIT: Oh, and i LOVE Hookbot. Even though i had beat most of the levels already with Jake, i bought Hookbot. Not only to contribute to development, but because then i can explore the levels and get ALL the coins out of a level.

I liked it, and i wouldnt mind having more DLC. This game is good enough as it is. Adding DLC would just make it better!

20. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm officially declaring qpawn a machine. I don't know how he's able to dominate the leaderboards like he is. And he is about to obliterate all of my high scores. I thought I posted good times on Bronze and Silver Bull, but he overtook those yesterday. I now I see that he took my beloved Stone Monkey. I thought my sub-46 second time would have lasted. Good for him -- he is really good, but kind of discouraging when one person can dominate all of the levels. Maybe it is time for me to take that break now. :)