Is there any other good forums?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ovogame, May 26, 2011.

1. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I know that TA is the biggest site/forum for IOS related game and my touch-arcade thread about Jump Birdy Jump is doing ok:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=95200

but is there any other iphone forums worth posting in? I'm talking marketing wise of course. Please let me now.

JC

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think you've kind of turned the question on its head: Is there any forum it is not worth posting on? You want to have the absolute maximum amount of exposure for your app when it is released and posting on web-forums is free and about as easy as it gets.

Just stay civil, and don't spam forums that don't allow self-promotion. Every single impression could help in the end...

3. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    actually, there are several forums (some attached to relatively high-profile websites) that are indeed a waste of time; think ghost town. There's a couple aside from TA which are alright for exposure, but the gulf is huge. I'll say that other than this site, my largest amount of clicks easily comes from neogaf. Note that there's a particular culture on that forum, and though you register you might have to wait a very long time (like, weeks or months) before getting activated and allowed to post.

4. NickFalk

Even a ghost town will at least count as another link to your site. If you want to sell your game (on a budget) I can see no good reason why you wouldn't spend the few minutes it takes to post the details on most sites...

5. MoxyDave

MoxyDave Active Member

May 19, 2011
    Make awesome games for mobile devices
    Colorado
    Absolutely agree. Part of the way most search engines work under the hood is by aggregating links to your content. The more links you have all over the web to your stuff, the more likely it is that you will be properly indexed. If nothing else, it will help your search ratings.

6. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Ahh, I beg to differ - not simply to be a contrarian (although I usually love to do that), I am just speaking as one who has certainly spent, rather wasted a lot of time barking up the wrong trees. I've posted stuff on some forums, come back a month or two later, and seen my stuff still on the first page - with "0 views" written next to it, and the posts below mine being 6 months old. If you want to spend your time better and get your brand spammed across the web, there's certainly much better ways to do it. Submitting a PR to a distribution service (there's a couple of free ones, PRmac.com is the best one that comes to mind) will get your stuff propagated in hundreds of places, for starters.

7. NickFalk

I still fail to see why you wouldn't post on as many forums as possible. Absolute worst case: 5 minutes waisted.

I have used PRMac quite a lot and spent a fair amount on ads. I've also sent out a newsletter, mailed anyone I know and made YouTube videos. And I have of course shared the information in any forum I've found that allows it.

The point being: You need to be as visible as you possibly can, why anyone would think it's a good idea not to be visible one more place is beyond me...

8. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    just found this nice web site that I want to share

http://www.similarsites.com/

Type toucharcade.com for exemple and you will have lots of similar websites

9. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Asking about another forum?:eek:

Blasphemy!!!

10. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    he have the agreement of the Pope

11. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    That forum seems to be ran by the worst and uncoolest jerks ever, reading their FAQ.

Most US based forums are maintained by ridiculous and sanctimonious egomans, but they win the first place.

I wouldn't want to register there even if I knew, every single user of theirs would buy my game...

12. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    yeah-h-h, they are pretty crappy in a lot of ways, and I have my own beef with them. But I am just saying, if you post stuff up there, you will get potentially a lot of traffic (based on my own history, anyway)

I am appreciating this more and more lately, particularly since moving over to Android development. There are practically no good forums to post in, at all, that I can seem to find. The community is generally unsupportive/disinterested in entertainment apps (people will whine "ohh why don't we get apps like iPhone" but when people do post anything over there, it gets mostly ignored. Some places they actually shut your post down for whatever reasons (self-promotion, etc)

I suspect (hope) this will change in time, but we will see. The reason I bring it up - it is easy to get frustrated by TouchArcade (so much competition) or neoGaf (a-holes), but at least they have supportive communities and the mods will let devs promote on these sites.

13. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    You wouldnt post there even if every user buys your game? With that mentality you must be doing this as a hobby.

14. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    1. Knowing myself I would get banned within seconds.
    2. I have no intention to chit-chat about meaningless crap just to kiss their asses to become a memer being able to open a topic.

15. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    I had my experiences with forums recently. I couldn't believe it, but there's no big game-apps forum in all of germany (or german speaking countries).

The few big forums I found, didn't let me post about our game, stating they don't want "my sort of people" in their forum. I asked them why they don't support the developers by opening a seperate forum and the answer was very harsh.
    It sounded as if I am a criminal trying to post some info about our game...:confused: Needless to say, I'll never visit them again.

If you happen to make a RPG game, then look for "pure" RPG forums, like RPGWatch. It helped us gain visibility.

16. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    True is, don't count on forums. 99% of the user don't give a sh** about the new developers.

if you post a new thread yourself on TA, 5 minutes later, you will go directly to the page 2 and you're not visible. So nobody can try and judge your game even if is good.

Yes, many devs, and I, "bump" something with some elements, not to spam but to return in page 1.

The problem is, if you're not expose on the TA front page or if you're game is not ultra famous, you don't have any chance.

They are a bunch of fake account/well organized guys that feeds some thread to believe that people are interested and be noticed by some TA reviewer. Of course, we don't do that.

"If the community isn't interested, and I don't see much appeal in the game, we usually just skip it." -Hodapp
    ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1739868&postcount=33)

that's the reality of the forums ...