What would you like to see in a cheap art pack?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RevolvingDoor, Jul 19, 2011.

?

What would you like to see in an art pack?

1. Simple and cute graphics.

30.0%
  2. Shiny, "polished" graphics.

10.0%
  3. Ornate, digitally painted graphics.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pixel art.

40.0%
  5. Zombies and horror art.

10.0%
  6. Futuristic art.

30.0%
  7. Space and spaceships.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Cute, quirky characters.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Modern day or fantasy art.

30.0%
  10. Background objects or physics puzzle elements.

20.0%
  1. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Hello, my name is Michael Yatskar. I am hoping to produce some great art packs for use in mobile games. I would love to hear from all the developers out there! Tell me what you would like to see in the perfect art pack. If you have any specific suggestions, I would love to hear them!

STYLE:
    -Simple and cute, like Angry Birds
    -Polished and shiny, like Plants Vs Zombies
    -Rich, colorful digital painting, like Shake Spears
    -Pixel art, like Maple Story

POV:
    -Overhead
    -Both!

CONTENT:
    -Zombies/horror
    -Futuristic
    -Space flight
    -Cute/quirky characters
    -Fantasy
    -Modern day
    -Universal background pack (trees, buildings, etc. appropriate for multiple settings)
    -Physics puzzle objects (widgets, balls, springboards, etc.)

2. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    The art work is a very sensitive part of mobile development especially when you're referring to games. Everything; the feel, the atmosphere, and genre, it's all best translated through art work. For that reason, I don't think using "stock" art footage for your game is wise. In my opinion, as a result, you'll end up with a poorly executed product.

3. stkim1

stkim1 Member

I just cannot agree more with ImStrapped. Even a single, 1px-wide, white line could feel completely different form title to title.

If you are quite good at many different styles of drawing, wouldn't it be great to go out and take some contract works? Mr. Whitaker Blackall is the music guy behind Casey's contraception, Super Stick Golf, and many more. With the buzzing success of titles he participated, it is easy to anticipate he would have more work in the future.

4. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    To the OP offering the art packs , keep doing what your doing.

Everytime I come to this forum I feel as though I have landed in another planet. The man asks a simple question about art packs and recieves a mini-lecture by 2 people who I have no idea what thier point is. Look either you like his art or not , from what I can tell you havent even seen his art. How do you know his art will be off by a couple of pixels? That makes no sense! Man I will never get the people around here.
    To the OP go to the Gamesalad or Cocas 2D forums and you will have much friendlier feedback and actually make some money.

5. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Yemi,

I have no intention of judging his or anyone's art work especially without even seeing it. I don't question his skill, but he's asking a developer's opinion and I'm giving him mine and which I believe is helpful. I've been on the same road before and quite honestly, I wish somebody would have told me the same cause it's a whole lot worse discovering it after putting in weeks of hard labor that most developers that are conscious of what they're trying to achieve aren't looking for stock art work...no matter how professional it is.

Again, I apologize if I offended you or RevolvingDoor but like the person below me said, I think you're better off contracting because that is what we the developers are looking for...and not pink or blue butterflies.

6. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Art packs are, in fact, something that is new to me. I mostly do contract work. I do know a lot of developers, in and out of mobile games, that make use of art packs. I think that art packs are great for a developer who needs to produce a high-quality demo for a client, or in order to secure some funding for his game, or just wants to have a nice arsenal of ready-to-go game graphics.

I welcome any and all feedback. If anyone would like to chime in with what they would like to see more specifically, I would really appreciate it. Rest assured that I will keep the pink and blue butterflies to a minimum. ;)

If anyone has stumbled onto this thread and wants to commission something instead, feel free to check out my portfolio: http://sleepingpaint.tumblr.com/
    Excuse the mess, I've just made the move to Tumblr and still have a lot of cleaning up to do!

7. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    I hear ya! Definitely :) And if I had to pick, I love futuristic stuff however, u'd probably want to go with something like simple and cute to reach a wider audience? Not sure.