Things that make me go hmmmm...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by iago, Dec 22, 2008.

1. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I'm not naming names...yet, but you know who you are:

1. Developers who release unfinished apps figuring that they'll fix it with the first update.

I'm not your beta tester. If it's not finished don't release it. I'm going to rate it one star and keep that rating no matter how many times you update it. Try and recover from a few one star ratings and then sit and wonder why your app doesn't sell.

2. Price drops of $5.00 within 5-10 days of release.

Look, I'm all for a free market economy. And I like my apps as inexpensively as the next guy, but I also don't mind paying top dollar for a quality app. If you can afford to drop the price $5.00 within a few days of release, that means to me that you overpriced the app from the get go. I don't mind the $2.99 to $1.99 or $.99 drops - but quick drops of $5.00 do not endear you to those of us who paid top dollar only a day or two ago.

3. Developers who promise imminent updates with awe inspiring features, but fail to deliver.

When you release an app, I assume that you have released a complete game. We all love updates - game fixes, extra levels, bonus features - but if you need to entice me to purchase your app on day one based upon some promised improvement which never materializes - well, then - see response 1 above. Fool me once...

4. Updates for "bug fixes".

If it is anything more then some code fixes, tell me what you doing to the app. On more then one occassion the "update" for bug fixes actually changed game play, changed the icon or took away some functionality. Let me make an informed decision as to whether I want to update. Don't tell me it is a "bug fix" when there is more then that going on.

5. Once a week (or more) updates.

We all get it. Updated apps move to the top of the release date list and show up on App Shopper or AppVee. That's just fine, I want to know when your app is updated too. But don't "game" the system. If you are updating the app once a week, it is either broken or you think we are idiots.

Which brings me to the last thing:

6. Don't figure us for fools.

I'm spending my hard earned money on your app. Please don't take me for an idiot. Many of us are not 13 year old kids. We pay attention. We know which developers are on these forums, seeking input and trying hard. We also know which developers are guilty of the above. And it may make us think twice before purchasing your second or third app.

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I agree, should probably be in the lounge though.

3. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post. I couldn't agree with you more

4. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Very true!
    Rockets right it should be in the lounge...

5. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    here here

6. Zenric

Zenric Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
  7. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Very well written. I agree with all your gripes.

The AppStore scene is incredibly exciting both for developers and for us gamers; however the status quo isn't yet established and because of that you see a lot of devs "experimenting" with certain pratices that other platforms wouldn't allow them to get away with it.

I'm afraid it'll be a while before things "normalize".

8. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    It didn't even dawn to me to put this in the lounge. I figure more people read this forum anyway - especially developers.

9. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Yeah, thats the only problem with TA, no one reads any thing in the lounge or any of the other catagories :mad:

10. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Great post! If I can add one more---

Stop plugging your app in every single post you make. If you adhere to the forum guidelines and out it in your sig, we'll all see it. But there are some who are really wearing out their welcome by posting in every single thread and plugging their app. Unless the thread is really on topic (e.g. a thread about your actual app!) please limit the posts to the announcements area and to your signature.

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    That was a very solid post. Great work, and I couldn't agree more. App store norms are developing and developers need to take note and see what people like and what they don't

12. Zenric

Zenric Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Once companies start to produce apps at reasonable and constant prices, they won't be able to get away with price flux.

13. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    The first name that comes to mind for me is:
    http://appshopper.com/games/beecells

Look, this is a great game and all, but come on. The app store has been open how long? Look at that list of updates and price changes. Anyone think this developer isn't playing the system?

14. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Awesome post. You covered every angle. I'm a little offended by the part that degrades us 13 year olds, but there have been people who I've wanted to whack with a frying pan for being so frickin' stupid

Getting back on topic, I agree that after the app store stabilizes, it'll be much harder to toy with the system.

15. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Great post, I hope all developers are looking at this topic, I mean im not saying this applys to all developers, but it is a good heads up for out of the loops developers.

16. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    hey I'm 15 which is still not 13 but i pay attention i look things up before i buy look at reviews i want to know what I'm buying and is it worth the price because i never have a lot of itunes money and when i do i want to spend it wisely....and i totally agree with the rest of what you said and you made a good point we are pretty much beta testers for the sh!ty games that come out that aren't polished yet..:mad:

17. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Given the recent issues with apps from well respected developers (Chillingo with Zooloretto (no save) and EA with Star Trek (price drop within 24 hours), I thought it made sense to resurrect this thread. We all spend waaaaay too much money on apps to not expect to have some minimal standards.

18. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Yeah, VERY odd why EA dropped the price so quickly. At least Chillingo is working to make an update ASAP. Great list with great ideas, thanks for taking the time to write that. Btw, Chillingo is a publisher, not a developer.

19. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Can we Sticky this or the lounge shud do the work!!! ?

20. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    This thread should have remained in the games forum where people might have seen it, not the lounge, where threads go to die a slow death.