Universal Fangz - (by Alexandre Ribeiro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 17, 2013.

1. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Good point :)

2. Game Whiz

Game Whiz Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Janitor/Developer/Whatever needs to be done around
    Portugal

Which version are you playing? Timers were dropped a long time ago...

It'll be out in the next update.

3. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
  4. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #624 m44, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Un-freaking-belivable!

"Fangz definately owes much to the excellent Zombieville 2 USA". . . . . "So how does the game itself stack up against Zombieville USA 2"

Zombieville 2 got a 5 star review, how is it better? If the reviewer wants to the compare the two games: Fangz wins every freaking category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Better game play, sound, graphics, level design, and so on). What a joke.

For those of you that don't know: In Zombieville 2 you basically survive a set amount of time (like 2 minutes) then and helicopter drops you a rope. It plays similarly to Fangz except you can't jump (or block/evade). It's a good "phone game" . . . . . . . I just can't see why Fangz (a really good "console quality game") would be rated so much lower?

Good grief, I'm aggravated! . . . . . To be 100 percent honest, the only real problem with Fangz was the difficulty. And that was fixed a couple updates ago.

5. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    ^^i just check TA review about zombieville 2 and i can't agree more with you on that. in fact fangz is a better game than zombieville 2 in every aspect. i remember played Z2 for 15 minutes before i get bored and delete the game(Z1 was better IMO). i never trust TA review again after they gave dead trigger 2 stars (not trying to start a debate here). so YES you are absolutely right about 3.5 stars is not suit fangz well since this game can easily get 4.5 from me.

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Thiz game iz a monsta
    Let me get back 2 it playin over boom bap instrumentals.

Pharoahe Monch- simon says

De La Soul- rock co flo

Company Flow- krazy kingz 3

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's almost as if two *different* people reviewed those games! :eek:

8. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #628 November's Chopin, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Shill much? :rolleyes:
    I find Zombieville 2 to be better than this game in every single category except the fact it has a few less levels.
    - No annoying timer that's pretty much impossible to beat
    - Actually adequate ammo drops
    - More weapons
    - Co-op
    - More skins
    - No ridiculous and useless "jump" feature that kills you if you press it a few times

It's hilarious that fanboys are shocked "why Zombieville 2 got any 5 star reviews", then start rambling on about how it's crap, like wtf? Because it's a good game maybe? It reminds me of how Windows fanboys are "shocked that people like Apple products", lol. By their definition anything they don't like should be disliked by everyone else too. You like this game, we (and by we, I mean me, some others, and Toucharcade) like another game, get the hell over it.

9. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    now that i have to quote you on this, actually what version did you play? since i assume that you bought this game officially why don't you update the game to newer version that already set the "timer" thing to fix moments ago? about which one is better, guess i just let this one to each perception on how they see features on each game.

10. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm definitely not a shill account. I've been supportive of several different games/developers.

Update your game dude. :rolleyes: And try the new Easy difficulty (it's under settings).

----////----

I really wasn't trying to bash Zombieville 2. I actually said: "it's a good phone game". For 99 cents I would definitely recommend it. . . . I think most fans of this genre would rate Fangz (or Zombieville 2) much higher than a 3.5 stars. Both games deserve a good review. :eek:

11. November's Chopin

Jul 11, 2010
    #631 November's Chopin, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    I already updated the game... :rolleyes:
    I was referring to the TA review of the game, which, in case you haven't noticed, is based on v1.0 of the game, with that annoying timer, impossible difficulty, slow-suicide jump and no difficulty options. The fact that progress in a level doesn't save is not fixed with this new update is it? Like I said, if you get killed in a stage, and you're 99% towards the next character level, say goodbye to all your progress, pretty sure all gold collected are gone too. HP and ammo carries on between stages, meaning if you go to a very difficult area with low HP/ammo, you pretty much have to restart the entire level. To add to the top, ammo NEVER DROPS. I went through 3 stages without a SINGLE ammo pack dropping, wtf? Is this a melee game now? This is ridiculous for a sidescroller. Pretty much everything I said is in that review.
    Oh and add the "lawyer" and "CEO" enemies to the list of flaws. Seriously wtf is with this type of enemy? Was the dev high when designing this? An enemy that almost guarantees to reduce your money when you play the level? Tell me how the heck am I supposed to kill 3-4 lawyer vampires that appears onscreen at once, each of them has a less than 5-second timer before they reduce my money count by like $70, each. Oh and they always appear with about 5 other enemies too. Did the dev expect people to have an incentive to still play this game when every frigging time they play this ridiculously hard level, their money count drops by a few hundred?? I'm guessing this is some attempt to add the "financial crisis" elements into a game?
    Oh and for the new difficulty options... "easy" mode my ass. Good luck trying to beat the CEO boss on "easy" mode without grinding your ass off in previous levels and maxing all your stats first. A boss that has 2 ridiculously quick ranged attacks that does like 20% HP damage, both of them knock you unconscious, and an unlimited supply of lawyer vampires coming out from both sides reducing your money count like no tomorrow. I think I lost at least 500 money in about 30 seconds, since each time you're hit by the boss, you lose about $150, and each lawyer steals about $100. Oh and did I mention that you don't start this boss fight with full health/ammo? Yes you start with whatever you had in the previous loading screen, so you might as well just tap home button if your health/ammo is low from the previous stages. This dev is one perverted guy that's all I can say. A challenging level is not enough, he has to make an impossible level that makes you go "why the f*ck am I even playing this game?"

This is the problem with most indies - they have no idea how to balance the difficulty of a game, because they have little or no experience creating games that suits gamers' preferences. Make something too easy and it gets boring, make something too hard or impossible and it annoys people. This is a classic example of the latter, an attempt to make a "challenging" game but going way overboard and turning this into a complete chore to play.

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Both Zombieville 2 and Fangz have their high points, but Fangz is more a mixed bag of high points and areas that have, and still do, require improvement. Five stars for Zombieville 2 is completely accurate, which is pretty much standard for anything Mika Mobile touches. I'd give Fangz 4 stars and I feel that is pretty fair. If you were to really push it, the lowest rating I'd give Zombieville 2 would be 4.5, but with Fangz, I'd be hard pressed to go above that 4 star mark.

Both games are fun regardless of the actual rating, keep that in mind.

13. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    I'm encountering a bug in the levels where we must move forward without killing zombies.

When the big zombies appears (those who strike with their head), the scroll of the screen stops. If you kill the big zombies too fast, the scroll does not begin and the game is blocked. The only way is to quit the level.

14. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If you're having problems running out of ammo, try equipping a melee weapon. Jump attacking with the katana is very effective. You can basically sweep an entire group back.

There's a really simple trick to that boss.

Destroy the atm at the top of the screen, he will go to fix it, you can damage him while he is fixing it, you will need to break the machine a couple times.

I think 4 or 4.5 would have been reasonable. Both games certainly deserve it.

15. Game Whiz

Sep 21, 2011
    Portugal
    Actually TA's review is based on v1.11.

I'm a gamer (and that takes precedence over being a developer) and Fangz is perfectly balanced in my opinion. Your progression in Fangz depends much more on your skill, rather than on your grinding abilities.

In ZV2 everyone will be able to reach the last level, since progression depends on the number of killed zombies and doesn't require you to actually overcome anything. If you're able to survive the last level, you don't have any sense of accomplishment at all (well, at least I didn't :) ).

I didn't want to make a game like that. I knew from the start that my market share would be a fraction of ZV2, but I still went ahead a did a game I'd like to play.

That being said, if I want to make a living out of this I must adapt, so my next games of this type will mostly follow the recipe set by ZV2, Storm the Train, or most of the games released in app stores nowadays. There's no point in fighting the market. Eventually I'll do a Fangz 2, but that will be once more, a game I'd like to play.

16. Game Whiz

Sep 21, 2011
    Portugal
    Everyone in TA should have a mandatory beard and be formatted to make reviews in exactly the same style. Anyone not following that exact review style should be forced to shave their beard, and place pics of it on Twitter.

17. November's Chopin

Jul 11, 2010
    Does it give a sense of achievement that the effort you spent trying to beat a level went 100% to waste because the moment you die you lose ALL acquired exp and gold? The grinding is already tremendous in this game, to the point that it feels like the level of grinding in an MMORPG. What do you hope to achieve by completely wiping all money/exp a player gained on a level?? Is it "too easy" to let players keep the exp/gold they gained on a level when they die, especially on those levels where you have to kill HUNDREDS of enemies and survive travelling a huge distance? If that's your sense of achievement then you should go and make Rogue-like games, where if you die, it's a permanent death and you might as well delete the app, not a sidescroller shooter.

18. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    Already finished the game in normal mode. This game makes me feel like im playing a nintendo games back in 80-90s where you have to practice your skill again n again to passed the level. All i want to say is this game is PERFECTLY balance. I like the animation, the graphics, humor aspects, weapons, big bosess all that just leave me some console experience, like im playing an old skool games that being made by big developers. The story element in this game is short, not to important for a game like this but well implemented to connect the dots between levels.
    About the diffilculty in this game, i guess if you are an old gamers like i do(who play atari), i think you'll agree that this game is not type of grinding games where you have to collect coins to wins. Heck i even beat the machine bos only with light saber which took me about 15minutes maybe more on 10-12 attempts(lol i know i died a lot in this level). And when i get enough coins to buy the zapper guns, im back again try to beat this boss, it took only like 3minutes. Can you see what im trying to say here is, its all depends on your skill and im only a gamer with average skill.
    I think this game is just not for everyone and i dont really care about ratings, but for me this game is great and perfectly balance. Cant wait for Fangz 2 and i hope game whizz still put their loves n passions when develop their next game.

19. Game Whiz

Sep 21, 2011
    Portugal
    I understand you perfectly, and keeping XP and gold seems like it won't change gameplay and difficulty much, so I'll add it in the next update.

My point in doing it like that was to try to guide the player, telling him/her in a subtle way that the campaign mode isn't the most suitable to grind (survival is much better for that).

Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing, I failed at that, or at least was way too subtle. I see many people grinding away in campaign mode and too few people even playing in survival mode.

This is exactly what I shot for. In the end I think I ended up doing too much for a mobile game, but not quite for a handheld/PC game.

I'm going to be away from this genre for some time now (I'm doing a 2d sandbox game), but when I get back to this type of game I'll surely revisit this thread :)

20. DSIMPLIFIED

DSIMPLIFIED New Member

May 20, 2013
    Just beat the game. Definitely a good game throughout. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Anybody out there know how to get the overtime achievement? I think the description says to finish a level after time runs out. For some reason I can't remember what level that is or how to get this accomplished. I did play and beat the game over a couple of weeks so that's probably why I can't remember. Any help will be appreciated. And to the developers great job on this game!