Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensomniac View Post
What are some techniques you've seen used that indicate to new players that Glint is absolutely free?
To me it's not free it's freemium. A free game to me doesn't have any IAPS. Seeing the amount of IAPS you have above would make nervous.

You can complete every freemium game out there by buying no IAPS (that's what they all seem to say) but often this involves tons of practice or grinding.

Perhaps your game doesn't push the user to buy any IAPS but to me there's a difference between a totally free game (no IAPS) and a game like this which is freemium. You're a business's. You need to make money and get a return on your investment. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I bet you get 'x' amount of coins so people have to eventually buy IAPS etc

Last edited by psj3809; 03-03-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Ensomniac

Thanks for the feedback, that's really awesome.

Since this is our first release, we're still learning. The original thought behind the IAP was to let users pay if they want, but not require that they do.

One of the most difficult aspects of this process has been trying to make a game that works for a variety of players.

Some players like to pay up-front and never see IAPs. From a publishing standpoint, that introduces a bit of friction for people who don't want to take the risk to spend money on a game that they might not like.

Some people like to have a game be free and don't mind having optional IAP. I suppose I am personally in that camp.

It seems universally disliked to have a game be free, and then require a player to pay to continue.

Quote:
To me it's not free it's freemium. A free game to me doesn't have any IAPS. Seeing the amount of IAPS you have above would make nervous.
Would you recommend eliminating the ability to acquire more in game currency via IAPs to eliminate confusion that this is a freemium game?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensomniac View Post
Would you recommend eliminating the ability to acquire more in game currency via IAPs to eliminate confusion that this is a freemium game?
If you wanted to remove the notion that this game was freemium, then yes. But that probably wouldn't be the brightest idea because you would only be getting revenue from add videos watched by someone here and there.

Personally, this game feels free. Power up prices never go up, and rings are earned really fast.