How long does it take to make a game? Read this example if you want to be a developer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Krehol Games, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

#1 Krehol Games, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    Hi Iam the lead programmer at krehol games. We are a 2 man team 1 programmer and 1 artist. I see alot of young people who would like to know how long does it actually take to make a game. Iam self-taught programmer and have been programming for 2 years. Total time learning is actually 8month to a 1 year as of course I had to work regular job and take care of responsibilities. The 1st example is going to be how long did it take to make our casual game Momo Alien Starcatcher. Later on we will discuss the process it takes to make an action 2D side-scrolling game after we release the game in market.

Momo Alien Starcatcher game

2 weeks = to get the storyline, concept art,demos, and basic concept of the game ironed out.
    3 weeks = to program the basic full engine of the game meaning set the highscore up, setting the collisions,setting up the controls,changing animations, and getting the effect of the power-ups done.
    Now thats 5 weeks and we have the overall game structure done. Now to add some polish to it.
    2 weeks = fine tuning the difficulty , then making another charactor Tumbles in his own stage , with his own unique power-ups and enemies.
    Now we are pushing 7 weeks and still not done. The last week we play tested it and had other players test the game. Made some last minutes changes and boom finished product.
    So exactly 2 months to finish a casual game not counting another week just promoting the game. Now at the same time we had another project we also working on that is taking longer than that.
    Also factor I didnt cover is the problems along the way that make the process long. Sound files that werent compatible, fixing code, adding code to smoothen the game out,little bugs that showed on the device that wouldnt show on the Mac that we fixed , etc.
    Now for all that effort we have gotten on new and noteworthy, a review on ppcgeeks, and some good comments. Sales arent what we liked but doesnt matter we are satisfied. Our next game is much deeper and more in depth. We love the Action 2D era and are about to bring that enjoyment in a very fun way!! Good luck in your development process and I hope you do well.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you should add an important fact.. that you used this "game builder" .. forgot the name but it was similar to that.

its quite a huge difference if someone start out using third party tools or if he dips into xcode and objective-c

so please if you tell your story tell the hole story.. since you guys did NOT! create a fully fledged engine in 3 weeks. you did not start from scratch and thats important for other people to know.

thnx krehol.

3. Krehol Games

Get it right please

You should actually download the Game Editor before you comment. Your confusing it with Gamesalad from the way you respond. I did everything from scratch , since when do people comment without research. Without a good knowledge of C programming language , you cannot make games with Game Editor period. Only 3 people from Game Editor have released iphone games for your information. Does that sound like the Game Editor is a game builder??? You jump to critic , at least research what your going to say.
    Why is it whenever I post some information , you troll with negative comments? Is that your purpose in life?? You dont even know what your talking about , you just cant wait to bother me can you. Its an itch you cant seem to scratch lol . Since you think its easy , go make a Game with Game Editor and release it. I know you wont , why , because you cant. Now run along and troll somewhere else.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #4 mr.Ugly, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    why is it a negative comment from me just to mention that you should tell the hole story? is that negative? .. you post the same text in several thread.. so at least make it once right.. no harm done there.

if you give advice to newbies tell them the hole story .. and the development enviroment is one of the most importan facts..

if its game editor, corona, gamesalad or something else.. this should be mentioned, because you do not achieve as fast results with xcode.
    the people who offer such dev enviroment did alot of work before you even wrote a single line, so this is important if someone calculates time..

since you do not mention the enviroment you do your game in people might think you mean the normal xcode enviroment.. thats all.. but you apparently can't even take the slightes amount of critic.. even if its meant good..

have a happy slide into the new year

5. Krehol Games

intelligence is key when making comments

Now you want to say your just asking about the enviroment I used. Thats non-sense did you read your 1st post? If your so knowledgeable why dont you make your own thread about game development. Instead I was going to add more to the thread if it wasnt for your interuption.
    This is my problem with you , you take a thread thats supposed to be about information and turn it into a debate. This was supposed to put information out there and if someone asks a question I will answer. Now nobody will ask because they see it turned into a pointless garbage thread thanks to you.
    From now on I will keep my post in the general discussion area to avoid your B.S. I will make sure not to post here too often so I dont have to deal with you. Its a waste of time for people to post here , just so you can turn everything into a silly debate. I have no time for regression , only progression. Like Gen said in streetfighter " You a big fool!!"