★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Hero's Way was pretty interesting, but I don't think it was possible to get anywhere near the end of the game without buying tons of IAP.
Yeah, I took at look at that one and it looked impressive. Unfortunately, couldn't play it on my iPod Touch 2G. But this one, thankfully, is compatible so I'll be grabbing it. Looks too good to pass up (especially for free) !
10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Too many "retro" turn-based RPGs in the App Store, so this is definitely a breath of fresh air, as Crimson Gem Saga was. Hopefully the animations are as fluid and impressive as the description claims they are.

Waiting for: Chaos Rings II, Phoenix Wright 123
I will always love: Kairosoft and CAVE Co. Ltd., Capcom, Godzilab, Simogo
Feel free to add me on Gamecenter; I'm Kirbychewy!
Dodonpachi is no longer my favorite iOS game.

10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmakirby3 View Post
Too many "retro" turn-based RPGs in the App Store, so this is definitely a breath of fresh air, as Crimson Gem Saga was. Hopefully the animations are as fluid and impressive as the description claims they are.
isn't this kinda retro too?

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
isn't this kinda retro too?
Think he was probably referring to the rash of pixel-style RPGs like PixelFighters, Guardian Saga and Mage Gauntlet (although that last one isn't turn-based).
10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
In the "Upcoming" thread for this game, the developer wrote:
Excellent! What can downloading for free hurt anyway?!
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Playing it

Okay, so I'm about an hour in the game and here are my 2 cents.
Graphics are very crisp and colorful. The sprites are big and nice. Menu interfaces all look decent as well. There are load times for just about everything-like canceling the dialogue from the equipment shop-it's not a very big deal though. Enemies you can see on the ground, if you run into them, the battle begins. You can also dodge them by moving strategically around them. Battles are a little bit slow as you have to see your character walk up to the enemy, hack it, then walk back to your spot (not a major problem).

My only concern is that it's touch control and that there's no D-Pad. I've played about 95% of all rpgs on the Appstore and a D-Pad is absolutely crucial. This is especially for a game that requires walking strategically to dodge enemies from time to time. Touch controls mean the AI automatically assigns your path of direction which can make your character run into things that you don't want. Please implement a D-Pad option.

Great game so far, looking forward to playing more. Further impressions will be posted soon.

Edit: Also, from time to time, a cutscene occurs where there are 3 options to choose from. I'm not sure if the outcome of the decisions changes the story or whatnot because the decisions sometimes involve saving some guy or leaving him and doing something else.

"No Rest. No Mercy. No Matter What." - Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Last edited by Blizzard500; 10-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard500 View Post
Okay, so I'm about an hour in the game and here are my 2 cents.
Graphics are very crisp and colorful. The sprites are big and nice. Menu interfaces all look decent as well. There are load times for just about everything-like canceling the dialogue from the equipment shop-it's not a very big deal though. Enemies you can see on the ground, if you run into them, the battle begins. You can also dodge them by moving strategically around them. Battles are a little bit slow as you have to see your character walk up to the enemy, hack it, then walk back to your spot (not a major problem).

My only concern is that it's touch control and that there's no D-Pad. I've played about 95% of all rpgs on the Appstore and a D-Pad is absolutely crucial. This is especially for a game that requires walking strategically to dodge enemies from time to time. Touch controls mean the AI automatically assigns your path of direction which can make your character run into things that you don't want. Please implement a D-Pad option.

Great game so far, looking forward to playing more. Further impressions will be posted soon.
Thanks for the impressions! I agree with you though, I'm surprised to see a game like this with touch only controls. Hope they do add an option for a D-pad. Only another 7 hours to wait here on the East Coast....
10-26-2011, 08:11 PM
I am looking forward to this and because I believe developers should get just compensation want to comment that IAPs if implemented fairly are not a bad thing (see Aurum Blade). I will gladly financially support a developer (especially of RPGs) who publishes a free game and includes truly optional IAPs. As much as I hate fermium rip-offs I also hate consumers who refuse to pay a fair amount for quality games. Time will tell with Dawn of Magic but thank you for tolerating my rant.
10-26-2011, 10:10 PM
10-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I check and find that this is the English version of the game made by a Chinese developer (from HK? Taiwan? Mainland China?) released back in May.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)