★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Lite version incoming

Thanks for your feedback GordonFreeman.
We actually considered a 'lefty' switch, as it's relatively easy to do for the control scheme. However, the content is also more focussed on the left side of the screen, so that's where it starts to get tricky. Furthermore, both thumbs are equally important, so it's not like right handed users are at an obvious advantage in the current situation.
So, we considered it, but in the end everybody will take a minute to get used to the system, regardless of being left or right handed. We'll keep our eyes and ears open for more feedback on this, of course.

We're currently also working on a Lite version of the game, which will include the tutorial and the two following stages. No content has been removed from these two stages, so the weapons and upgrading are available just like they are in the full version of Flare Elite. The Lite version is scheduled to be released somewhere next week, so keep an eye out for it.
04-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Flare Elite Lite released

The Lite version is now available, for those of you who want to try our unique control system before buying it

The tutorial plus the first two missions are included, along with all the weapons and upgrades as they normally would in that phase of the game.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Flare Elite Lite on the App Store

04-13-2010, 03:38 AM
I tried the lite. Regarding the control system, just one question comes to mind: why?
04-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Trying the Lite version now.

hi
04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I tried the lite. Regarding the control system, just one question comes to mind: why?
Though there's a short learning curve involved it offers very fast response and accurate control without putting your finger on top of your ship and obstructing the view.
04-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
Though there's a short learning curve involved it offers very fast response and accurate control without putting your finger on top of your ship and obstructing the view.
Most shmups have the option of being able to control your ship with finger positioned anywhere on screen, not only on top of your ship. And there is no learning curve at all. The response in this case seems no slower, nor the accuracy any lesser.

Honestly, I am not being "difficult" for sport; it's just you asked for impressions and mine was that I saw no advantage to this control method whatsoever, but only an inexplicable detraction from the game's intuitiveness.
04-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Honestly, I am not being "difficult" for sport; it's just you asked for impressions and mine was that I saw no advantage to this control method whatsoever, but only an inexplicable detraction from the game's intuitiveness.
And your impressions are much appreciated

To continue the discussion, I think the "anywhere on screen" with 1:1 mapping still obstructs the screen too much, having it on another ratio basically makes a dpad, which I think isn't accurate/fast enough.

I like how Espgaluda did it with having the X-axis on 1:1 and the Y-axis on a ratio, but I still stand by our own system for busy stages near the end of the game. There's some footage in our trailer.

Please continue "being difficult" (your words! ), healthy discussion is good imo and I find it interesting to see how players experience the game.
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Temporary discount!

Heads up!

Today is Queen's Day here in Holland, which is a national holiday. To celebrate this, we have reduced the price of Flare Elite from $2.99 to $0.99 for this week! The discount is available in all regions from the 30th of April till the 7th of May. Have fun!

Last edited by Selachii; 04-30-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added title
02-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
WOW! Never expected this to get an update! =oD

Firi/Selachii... You guys freak'n rock!
02-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Haha, I honestly thought nobody would notice. It is mostly an update to properly work on modern day devices, but we also updated some basic things like the control scheme (which was novel at the time, but is now simply outdated), 60fps and some textures.