Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by evilhomer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. evilhomer

evilhomer Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Noticed both of these have gone on sale (Avatar $6.99, Ravensword $4.99) and I've had some interest in both. Any recommendations on which one of these I should grab now with them both being on sale?

What do people like/dislike about the games and any info on planned updates.

Thanks

2. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Sweet! I knew Avatar was going to go on sale, glad I waited.

I've heard Avatar is great but I know Ravensword is an amazing game! It's really great, I've beaten it twice.

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm exactly the same. I may get both. I'd say get Avatar as that's new, and may not be on sale for long. Ravensword however is fairly old so may be permanent price drop.

Btw in UK iPhone app store, they both show up at the reduced pice but open it up and they are expensive again.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Avatar and Ravensword are the two best action/adventure games in the AppStore. Ravensword is not quite as polished, but it has a stronger RPG component than Avatar, and the open world environment is consistent throughout the game (Avatar is open world only in a few chapters). Personally I prefer Ravensword, but if you like the action/adventure genre, you won't go wrong with either game.

5. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    It's doing the same thing in the US store too. I hear you can just click on the sale price without going into the game info, and you won't be charged full price... but idk, i'm just gonna wait it out to be sure. don't trust em... ;)

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Damn..difficult question. Avatar is, well, pretty amazing and the graphics are gorgeous. RavenSword is damn good too though, vast masses of land you can explore. Can you only buy one :eek: I would say go for both because they're both great games; hard to choose one.

7. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    #7 jxjja, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    I prefer Ravensword, Ravensword is a sanbox rpg (you can go anywhere), Avatar has a linear storyand you cant replay any chapter without starting a whole new story. I would get Ravensword.

And remeber that Gameloft allways drop the prices of their games, and Josh and Russ dont because they need more money and are indie devs, so I would pick Ravensword now that is on sale because they will rise the price once the offer is over. And Avatar is one of those games that you finish once and never open again, Ravensword isnt, I still find myself coming back to it even if I already finished the game twice just because of the sandbox mode and I like exploring. :D

8. evilhomer

evilhomer Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Can you touch on the RPG components of Ravensword? Looking at the SlideToPlay review, they mention as a negative, the fact that there isn't much to buy weapon/armor wise and that stat-building is done automatically?

Are there any RPG elements to Avatar?

I do like the optional side quests and open world aspect of Ravensword.

9. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Damn, I really like both of these games, but I would give the edge to Ravensword since it $2 less, but Avatar has beautiful graphics and long gameplay like Ravensword. It's you're decsicion and it's a hard one!

10. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    No, there arenĀ“t any RPG elements on Avatar, if you are looking for a sonbox RPG get Ravensword, if you are looking for a linear adventure game get Avatar

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yes, Ravensword is lacking in various different armors etc [not sure if they got added in the update] And yes all your stats go up automatically. Its more of an Action/Adventure game with RPG elements :p

As for Avatar, you have this 1 super strong power, and as you collect whatever those white things are called, your power gets stronger.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I have loads of cash to blow so could get both. Which one first? If I get ravensword, by time I finish it Avatar may be even cheaper. However, I've never played an RPG and always find trolls etc. a bit weird- could I get into it? I am mostly interested in the graphics and open world, can it sill be fun?

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I don't think Avatar will go even cheaper so soon. Personally I'd probably just buy both, and switch back & forth depending on which one I feel like playing. Both games aren't full-blown RPGs, so you'll be fine.

14. daconcerror

daconcerror Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    none
    Scotland ;)
    #14 daconcerror, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    i like both for different things, i like avatar because i loved the movie and i like ravensword because theres so much to do. so it depends what you want really

15. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I'm sorry TA.
    ---------------------
    That's what she said.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
  17. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    but it's gameloft, it'll just go down to $4.99 later

18. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Avatar is great, but I'd go for Ravensword...

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Avatar has very light RPG elements -- basically, your skills improve as you collect these light particles through the game. In the open world chapters there are also NPCs, missions, etc.

Ravensword is basically an RPG-light. You gain experience as you kill monsters, but when you level up the new stats are allocated automatically. There are weapons and armor to buy, but nowhere near the quantity you get from something like Seed or Inotia. You'll find traditional RPG elements like inventory, monsters that drop loot, etc, but they're all simplified.

Hope that makes sense...

20. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

There are no RPG elements to Ravensword either since it's not an RPG, unless you feel really in-role playing some guy who had an accident in a cosmetic surgery (I always wondered why the main character is so ugly, was it done on purpose or something?). There are no stats on weapons/armor, no stats on attack/defense, oh and no skills.
    Avatar isn't that great either since Gameloft never excelled at adventure games. It's really linear, but I suppose it's more fun than Ravensword since at least there are more things to do.