Anyone think they can create a good strategy game for iMessage?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MidianGTX, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've been playing a bit of Connect 4 recently (see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt9x3owwtkgfpdj/2013-01-19%2022.24.16.png) and got to wondering if there was some kind of game that would utilise more of the emojis, maybe a war/battle game of some description? Obviously there's Chess, but I think it'd be more fun if we could come up with something original, simpler and more modern if possible. I'm not really one for board games at all so I'm not familiar with many of the mechanics used in anything other than Connect 4. Someone here must be able to supply the spark that lights the fire! Any ideas?

2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Are you copy/pasting that message every time and then replacing a white tile with your colour? Why would you choose to do that over downloading a multiplayer game, like Letterpress or something?

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, we were. It's a lot less time consuming than it looks, more time is spent figuring out your move than copying/altering/sending the message. We were already chatting anyway and my friend isn't much of a gamer so it was really just a neat little experiment. Now we occasionally throw a game of Connect 4 into our conversations without notice. I'm kind of intrigued just how far someone could take iMessage gaming, I've yet to see anything more ambitious than Chess.

So I guess the answer to your question is that old nod to humankind and its fascination with experimentation... we do it because we can :)

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    You know I actually tried this today with my girlfriend and you're right, it does work quite well. Bravo. And to think I had been been trying to think of an acerbic comment to ridicule you with when I first saw this. Can't think of any other games though, Battleship maybe but you'd need to take a screenshot of your setup or something which is a bit cumbersome.

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Haha, no worries. It was actually my friend who suggested it and I wasn't too optimistic either until she forced me into playing.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    I actually find this pretty cool. Never bothered downloading Emoji, but I'll get it just to try this out with my gf.

TTT is another game you could play, but it's a little too simple and short.

7. tecobiza

tecobiza Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Student
    Houston, TX
    There's always tic-tac-toe. Not exactly a great strategy game, but it's fun!

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    You don't have to download emoji's apps if that is what you mean; you can just add an "international" keyboard and presto - a huge array of emoji at your fingertips

This connect 4 game has exploded recently. Seems like everywhere I turn people are playing. It's pretty fun. Haven't see any others yet but given the sudden popularity of this I expect more on the horizon.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #9 backtothis, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    Seems like hella fun. Will try with LOLavi.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Here's the example of how Chess/Checkers would look: http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/emoji.jpg

Takes longer to set up, but once the emojis enter into the "recently used" tab it shouldn't be too bad. I'd still prefer a board game genius of some description to come up with a new game though. There must be some around here considering the great games we see on the app store, but I guess most want to concentrate on putting ideas into something that'll earn them money.

12. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Holy smokes, that's awesome. You could also play 'Go' or 'GoMoku' pretty easily with this setup as well.

Now you got the game designer balls in my head rolling... Let me stew on it and get back to ya. I'll see what I can come up with! We can test and improve it on the forums.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Neat! Looking forward to it :)

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    You could also play a simple word game similar to Chain Reaction. One person types a phrase and the next person uses the last word to start a new phrase.

Example:
    Player1: House fly
    Player2: Fly away
    Player1: Away game
    Player2: Game over

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa, the thought of playing games over iMessage never even crossed my mind! Gotta try this one sometime.

16. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    What's away game?
    Game boy
    Boy toy
    Toy box
    Box cutter
    Cutter..emo?

It is quite run/additive, but it's hard to regulate, any two words could be link worthy.

17. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    that's a pretty cool idea. i would like to see a decent game played over iMessage.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Speaking of iMessage, someone should start a true test user group here for people who want to be able to chat while playing. Especially in helping get games started. I never know who's playing what when. It would make setting up (and progressing through) asynchronous games like Ascension or a 4X game a lot easier