App Mini-Reviews Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Jan 21, 2014.

1. It was probably through a private pm undeadcow. If they let one person have an individual blog on here, then anyone could, so I can understand the concern.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #42 undeadcow, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Fine... then I will hijack your thread and be "that guy."

Hero Siege - surprisingly fun areana dual stick shooter with amateurish pixel animations and a dizzing array of consumable IAP currency items (mostly cosmetic hats). The environments are varied and chock full of traps, or other barriers to avoid or lure enemies towards. Controls get wonky sometimes because movement is 360 degrees but shooting only in 4 cardinal directions. This is the game Bardbarian should have been. Get it - 3.5 out of 5 utters up.

Edit- For Lovers Of: Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll.

I've contaminated JCho's thread with my opinion so now concern averted?

3. Sure, jcho for President!!!

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha "App Mini-Reviews and Rants"

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Dawn of the Plow
    Price: $1.99

iTunes | Trailer

Sometimes frustrating controls are just that...frustrating. But other times, it adds to the game and experience. Dawn of the Plow is the kind of game where imprecise controls are intentional and only add to the challenge and fun. You control a plow on a road grid of various sizes with the goal to keep the roads clear and allow civilian cars to get home

That task is easier said than done. Dawn of the Plow is a fun challenging mix of twitchy action and fast-paced puzzling. Roads wrap around the board, and it's up to you to plan out the best route while collecting power ups and avoiding cars.

For lovers of: retro pixel visuals, fun twitchy gameplay, if you live in the South and want to unleash vengeance on snow

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I think the "for lovers of" part should be mandatory for these mini reviews

7. Why was rants added? Is this going to be a shifted post thread too, Mr. President?

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I didn't pick it, not sure who changed it. If they see this I would much like the removal of the rant part. I want this to be friendly

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I requested moderators change the thread title to "App Mini-Reviews and Rants" figuring it'd be good to preserve JCho's idea in a more open and democratic sense (in accordance with his posts here); what's wrong with a good rant now and again? Rant being used in the context of a comedic over-exaggerated passionate opinion or wordy pontification on gaming totally appropriate for the scope of this idea. I can't say no offense was intended, because I wouldn't want anyone to hold me to that but it was all in good fun.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I prefer diatribe. ;)

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    You're an a**.

(;

Haha did you come up with the new name as well? "Extraordinaire"

Actually I don't think that's proper grammar, as an extraordinaire is a person

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #52 undeadcow, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    I'm not sure where "Extraordinaire" came from; that's not my style. :confused:

...probably the ever sneaky CygnetSeven, just make sure not to anger him...

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Pff. Darn Cyggy and his bad grammar

14. #54 Connector, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Rant rant...

Rant rant...

Jcho = Extraordinaire :)

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh Connector, you are too kind :D

16. Bronxsta

No, the better word is definitely tirade

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I think I'm going to do a "Choview" or "Chosponse" on Dungeon Nightmares next

18. Bronxsta

Toast Time
    Price: $2.99

iTunes | Trailer

Toast Time takes the elements that made Super Crate Box such a great game the focused arena gameplay, the hordes of enemies to destroy and evade, the varied weaponry, the fast paced twitchiness and evolves them for the better. A generous chunk of content, touch controls that are simple to use but tough to master, levels that change and force you to adapt, awesome weapons, and just nice humor and great overall polish make Toast Time a fantastic addition to any IOS gamer's collection. And it's 100% premium

For lovers of: Super Crate Box, games you can play with one hand, charming pixel visuals, twitchy action

iTunes | Trailer

It's free but not really freemium. There is one currency and while there are some currency packs, buying the Ultimate Power pack IAP (doubler + ability to rebuild your character's skills) makes the progression feel perfect, so it's more like a free game with a $1.99 unlock

As for the game itself, it's great. There are 70 waves, a boss every 10 waves, and while the first handful feel more like tutorial battles, the game soon ramps up and puts your skills to the test. The slower combat mixed with the hectic waves of enemies reminds me of Mage Gauntlet, in that positioning, smart use of your abilities, and timing strikes is key to success rather than fancy combos. The enemies are varied and each require different tactics, and every new power or buff you unlock adds some new strategy to your repertoire. The stylish pixel graphics, the humorous vibe, and the music add to the overall polish.

For lovers of: Mage Gauntlet, hack-and-slash games, challenging gameplay, games that reward skill and smart strategy

iTunes | Trailer

It's long but I think I best summed my thoughts on 137BC with my post in the main thread
    I do hope more people decide to check this game out. The control issues are a negative, but they can be fixed and the game does a lot right. It has great depth and the developer is active here on TA.

For lovers of: historical themed games, RTS's with depth, an interesting take on the genre, promise and potential