What's up with New Game requirements?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Wgamer64, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Wgamer64

Wgamer64 Member

Dec 5, 2010
    A lot of new games say they're 3rd gen. compatible, but then I find out that you need 16GB or 32GB. Is this just another way for iTunes to cheat money? I guess I need to research EVERY game before I buy it.:mad:

2. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #2 MystikSun, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
    8GB 3rd Gen=2nd Gen.

There's no getting out of it. The new game requirements is because of the high quality graphics titles being released. Some new games are also using OpenGLS 2.0 (idk, can't remember) which is not compatible with 2nd gen and below.

This isn't like the DS where developers will always produce games for the worst of the DS line, and games are always going to be playable on it. Even now I guess, the new 3DS games won't be playable on the older DS.

3. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    I hear 8GB 3rd Gens are more like 2nd Gen iPods.

EDIT: Mystik beat me to it.

4. fatflatfly

fatflatfly Active Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #4 fatflatfly, Jan 5, 2011
    Media
    1st/2nd generation: 8, 16 and 32*GB Flash memory
    3rd generation: 32 and 64*GB Flash memory

4th generation: 8, 32 and 64*GB Flash memory

They never made a 8GB 3rd generation if I remember there was a large gap in between the 8GB and the 16/32 was together on apple website with description saying you only got the better stuff on the 16/32

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    the ipod touch 3 8GB is less powerful than the 32Gb and 64gb. So yes basically a way to cheat

6. fatflatfly

fatflatfly Active Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #6 fatflatfly, Jan 5, 2011
    They didn't make a 3rd generation 8gb
    The 3rd generation iPod Touch with iPhone OS 3.1 was announced and subsequently released on September 9, 2009. It is available with 32GB or 64GB of flash memory. Apple also continued offering the 2nd generation 8*GB version.
    http://www.livbit.com/article/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/iPod_Touch_3rd_gen-600x310.gif
    Picture shows 8gb says updated 32gb new and faster performance

7. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
  8. fatflatfly

fatflatfly Active Member

Oct 6, 2010
  9. drwcomics

drwcomics Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Assistant Teacher
    Phoenix, AZ
    As many people have said already, there never was an 8gb 3rd gen ipod touch released. The second gen model was "reintroduced" alongside the 16gb and 32gb 3rd gen models. As a result a LOT of people (even some websites I've read, which claim talk about the "8gb 3rd generation ipod touch") got confused, and assumed that the 8gb 2g was a 3g. which it wasn't. There were even several non-apple store retailers (places like walmart) mistakenly told consumers that the 8gb 2g's were 3rd gens. I've seen SO MANY negative reviews from angry people claiming that a certain game wouldn't work on their 8gb "3rd gen" ipod, when in fact they don't have a 3rd gen ipod at all. It's sad, really, because it gives certain apps a rep for having compatibility issues, when they, in fact, don't have those issues at all. So don't blame game devs, blame the retailer that sold you your ipod that mistakenly informed you on what type of ipod you were getting. That being said, I feel your pain--I can only imagine how mind-blowingly annoying it must be to think your getting a top-of-the-line device, only to realize that it is, in fact, an older model.

10. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Tricky tricky :p During the 3rd gen, even the Apple Store employees didn't specify the generation :p Ah well, it's me and my 2nd gen 16 GB. Which is the same price as the 4th gen 32 GB >.<

11. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

dont worry

Dont worry most developers still will support 2G ipod touch. Yes some of the higest end games like infinity blade will need a higher model but most developers will support the 2G ipod touch. Dont be sad , you can still play action packed games like this on the 2G ipod touch.

12. fatflatfly

fatflatfly Active Member

Oct 6, 2010
    My son has 1st generation iPod touch he can still play games like real racing 2, reckless racing and battlefield bad company 2.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    It's simple the 3rd gen up (32gb&64gb) have a completely different GPU than the earlier ones it's the same reason some Graphics cards on pc can play more games than others.

To a lesser extent the CPU also probably plays a part and the lack of RAM in the earlier models.

You can still do a lot with the older ones and their a very big market so I can't see apps for them drying up anytime soon but eventually as their batterys die and people upgrade they will probably become irrelevant.

Will happen to the third and fourth gen eventually as well.

14. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    As they are good games, BFBC2 can barely work on my iPod Touch 2g. The only thing saving me are checkpoints where I can start over after the game crashes and force restarts my iPod.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    More like you should have taken the time to research ONE thing before spending hundreds to buy it..