PITFALL! is NOW FREE!!!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by DelBoy2181, Nov 19, 2012.

1. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England

PITFALL!™

Activision Publishing, Inc.
    "Hey Pitfall! fans. Thanks for all your support keeping Pitfall Harry™ ahead of that volcano!  You’ve helped him run ove…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "Hey Pitfall! fans. Thanks for all your support keeping Pitfall Harry™ ahead of that volcano!  You’ve helped him run over 1 BILLION MILES!  We've made some gameplay improvements and fixed some bugs to make things even better. And for you runners with new devices, the game now runs in glorious HD retina resolution, so Harry looks better than ever. Take control of Pitfall Harry once again in PITFALL!, inspired by the 1982 Classic that started it all, now re-envisioned and re-booted on iOS! “Pitfall! proudly stands among the best action adventure games on the App Store, a thoroughly enjoyable runner with just enough variety to make it a must play. “ - GAMETRAILERS “Cool graphics, controls, and a fun reboot of the classic that started the side scrolling runner genre.” - WIRED “Pitfall! is a thoroughly entertaining runner with enough personality to make it one of the best games on the App Store.” - MODOJO “The overall adventure is far more exciting and bombastic than Temple Run, with the incessant brassy action film score making every run feel like the climax of a Spielberg film.” – THE VERGE Escape the wrath of an angry volcano while collecting ancient treasures in PITFALL!, an adrenaline-fueled, free-running adventure set in a deadly jungle with twists and turns that will always keep you on your toes. Challenge your reflexes by jumping, sliding, and using your deadly whip to take out classic PITFALL! foes like rattlesnakes and scorpions while avoiding the death grip of a crocodile’s jaw as you swing across ravines. Make sure to always keep a watchful eye as danger lurks around every corner! FEATURES • The “Free Runner” evolved! Navigate through constantly changing environments as you make your way through narrow trenches, dark caverns, and cascading waterfalls with cinematic camera angles. • Level up and trade in your loot for a trove of game changing powerups that can be used to enhance your experience and customize your wardrobe • Top your friends’ scores on Twitter and Facebook and stake your claim as the real king of the jungle! • Easy swipe and tilt controls allow you to jump right in!"
    Information
    Seller:Activision Publishing, Inc.
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade
    Release:Aug 09, 2012
    Updated:Feb 26, 2015
    Version:1.7.0
    Size:88.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Not free in the US yet

3. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Sweet... a coworker was just talking about this game.

4. #4 Connector, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    Yeah, figured, a lot of these games lately seem destined for free or freemium, anything with a lot of inapps and coin stores like zaxxon or this one. Anyway, it's not free for me yet, maybe after 8pm, pst? Looking forward to it though.

Edit adding appinfo=all to force first post to show a description. :)

PITFALL!™

Activision Publishing, Inc.
    "Hey Pitfall! fans. Thanks for all your support keeping Pitfall Harry™ ahead of that volcano!  You’ve helped him run ove…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "Hey Pitfall! fans. Thanks for all your support keeping Pitfall Harry™ ahead of that volcano!  You’ve helped him run over 1 BILLION MILES!  We've made some gameplay improvements and fixed some bugs to make things even better. And for you runners with new devices, the game now runs in glorious HD retina resolution, so Harry looks better than ever. Take control of Pitfall Harry once again in PITFALL!, inspired by the 1982 Classic that started it all, now re-envisioned and re-booted on iOS! “Pitfall! proudly stands among the best action adventure games on the App Store, a thoroughly enjoyable runner with just enough variety to make it a must play. “ - GAMETRAILERS “Cool graphics, controls, and a fun reboot of the classic that started the side scrolling runner genre.” - WIRED “Pitfall! is a thoroughly entertaining runner with enough personality to make it one of the best games on the App Store.” - MODOJO “The overall adventure is far more exciting and bombastic than Temple Run, with the incessant brassy action film score making every run feel like the climax of a Spielberg film.” – THE VERGE Escape the wrath of an angry volcano while collecting ancient treasures in PITFALL!, an adrenaline-fueled, free-running adventure set in a deadly jungle with twists and turns that will always keep you on your toes. Challenge your reflexes by jumping, sliding, and using your deadly whip to take out classic PITFALL! foes like rattlesnakes and scorpions while avoiding the death grip of a crocodile’s jaw as you swing across ravines. Make sure to always keep a watchful eye as danger lurks around every corner! FEATURES • The “Free Runner” evolved! Navigate through constantly changing environments as you make your way through narrow trenches, dark caverns, and cascading waterfalls with cinematic camera angles. • Level up and trade in your loot for a trove of game changing powerups that can be used to enhance your experience and customize your wardrobe • Top your friends’ scores on Twitter and Facebook and stake your claim as the real king of the jungle! • Easy swipe and tilt controls allow you to jump right in!"
    Information
    Seller:Activision Publishing, Inc.
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade
    Release:Aug 09, 2012
    Updated:Feb 26, 2015
    Version:1.7.0
    Size:88.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

5. pank9j

pank9j Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Showing as Free :D

6. Hmm... Not for me here in Los angeles, where you at?

7. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    It's already free here in the UK and the rest of Europe. The USA will be next come midnight ;)

8. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Grr!!!!! I seriously just bought this yesterday after waiting for it to go free for ages!

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Glad I didn't cave and buy it. To the dude that just bought it, if you don't have a store receipt yet, there's actually a chance you'll end up getting it free. That happened to another guy here last week.

10. Now free in US! Thanks Delboy!

11. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Nice to be able to pick this up for free. :)

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yep... downloading now. :D

13. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I remember buying this when the original came out. Feels like 1 million years ago.

14. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    That would be great.

15. #15 Connector, Nov 19, 2012
    Wow, what a disappointment. First they make a game that doesn't play anything like the old retro pitfall, but this endless runner was not very good at all. There are tons of endless runners better than this. Temple run brave is much better. Blood roofs much better. Even angry gran from last week was much better.

Sad to see them use such a great name and create this game. Zaxxon escape is at least pretty good compared to this game.

Sorry to rag on this game, but I really would want a modern rendition of pitfall. So sad...

Instadelete. Not recommended.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I thought it's pretty good. The bad thing is that they used the Pitfall title to rake in cash for it. If they made a temple run clone with a different title which turns up like this exact game, people will love it.

And no, Zaxxon is not much better than this. Zaxxon was just horrible for a space runner. I tfelt like that game which you have to change the pose of your character to make him fit holes in the walls and that was more fun too.

17. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    You just said not recommended but I'd love to know what makes it so bad.

And it's not meant to be a remake of the original. It borrows elements from the classic (jumping obstacles, whip swinging, etc)

I literally have folders filled with "endless" games; and I think it's a pretty competent runner. This type of runner doesn't accelerate as you go farther. But it does present a lot of variety in scenery (jungle, camps, caves, riding a mine cart in mine shafts, driving a motorcycle), the power ups are entertaining as well.

Sure it's not the reimagined classic we all want, but it doesn't deserve the trash bin because of that.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pitfall has very good controls, like what you'd expect of a big company trying to mimic the more was-indie Temple Run.

Graphics is what reminds me that this is a pitfall game.

One-liners that came out before One Epic Knight and are pretty funny while you play.

Gameplay isnt just running, there's minecart rides and motorcycle scenes as well.

Good variety in the obstacles and the backgrounds: Forests, caves, caverns, chasms (like where gandalf fought the balrog, lol), and there are enemies that you can whip through Pitfall style.

And there's the double edged sword that is the Checkpoints which have received both love and hate. The game gives you a limited number of tokens that unlock these checkpoints, but to unlock every checkpoint in the game, you'll need IAP to get more tokens. So, as expected of the iOS community, any game mechanic that involves IAP will be labeled greed. On the other hand, the checkpoint system has received a few thumbs ups (me included). They just help you continue from where you're at so you can see other unique segments on the fly. Thing is, the game still feels like an endless runner, and it doesnt matter where you start to experience the game. The map they included has an "end" but i have only illusions of reaching that because of how far it is between checkpoints and I have never gone that far without tripping on a rock or missing a slide, or falling into pits or dying of poison.

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I don't know why but I never got into this pitfall game, I think it's not even on my iPhone anymore

20. #20 Connector, Nov 19, 2012
    Sure, no problem. :)

1. This game just uses the pitfall name for no real reason except to increase sales. In fact, you could rename this game Pac Man, make the character look like Pac man, cause the coins in this game remind me of the dots in pac Man. That is how ridiculous it is.

2. This game should have been a modern day version of Pitfall like a 2d platformer or adventure exploration game. That would have been pretty cool.

3. This game was sooo designed to be a freemium game and shaft early adopters.

4. It is pretty much of a clone of Temple Run which is a pity.

5. Sure the game is ok as an endless runner and I like the checkpoints and diversity of the game, but it just average, not exceptional. If it was exceptional, I would have had no beef with it.

6. The graphics on the ipad are really really bad. If you are going to make another endless runner at least make it ipad retina. Like blood roofs, it is beautiful. Maybe the iphone version looks ok, but on my new ipad it looks kind of crummy.

7. Seems way too inapp driven. I didn't play it that far, but the inapps kind of look scary.

I did reload it and after the first few checkpoints it was funner. So yeah, decent game but has the flaws above.

So, maybe I was a little harsh on my not recommended. I will change it to:

Game is ok, has some flaws especially the name. But slighty recommended. :)