iPhone Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG in real-time by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by smuttlegiaco, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #1 smuttlegiaco, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Hey there folks!

This is "smuttlewerk interactive" talking.

We are very proud to announce our little jewel to the gaming world.

Companions is a "Party-Dungeon-Crawler-RPG-Action-Tactics" Game :D, where you lead a party of four brave warriors into combat against the false god "Detexx" and "The Hordes of Nether"!

Be prepared for a campaign mode and a single-map experience, packed with achievments and leaderboards (OpenFeint & Gamecenter).

The game will be released in May 2011.

More information on how the game is played will be added soon. For now, have fun with the first teaser/trailer:

Please share your thoughts with us! Questions will be answered ASAP!

I forgot to mention: watch the trailer in HD on your iPad in fullscreen-mode and you get a good feeling how the actual game looks like!

Edit: here is me myself trying to explain the tactical pause in Companions:

2. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Looking good! -- and always happy to see a new dungeon crawl/roguelike RPG on the platform.

Can you tell us more about the skills (spells?) and items (inventory?) on the bottom of the UI? What kind of character development/leveling/customization will the game include?

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Looks nice. Can you choose the members of your party?

4. Wentil

Wentil New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Nice!

This looks really awesome! :)

I'll be looking for it in May!

5. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @simulated: the max number of skills for each class is 5 (there are three classes for each of the four races). three of them are basic skills which can be upgraded through experience. the other two skills are skills that are bound to special items.
    the inventory: you have one weapon slot, two equip slots (armor, rings, etc.) and 21 storage slots (potions and other stuff). You only have three "quick" slots, the other 18 are integrated in the character window.

@ojtitus: you always play with the four different races, but each race has three classes, each one with unique skills
    Minotaur: Berserker, Gladiator, Bull
    Elf: Assassin, Archer, Ranger
    Dwarf: Engineer, Draftsman, Miner
    Human: Light, Matter, Void

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Sounds great, I look forward to it's release.

7. impurfekt

impurfekt Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Musician
    USA
    Reminds me of Ultima. Looks very fun. Makes me want to break out Moria again too...

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey fellas,

I currently finish a map and I ask myself: is this bossfight to difficult for the average player to master?

I can do it (and in my view I am an experienced player) and I think it's fun, but the first two times my party lost the fight and I had to reload.

My position on the difficulty of games is that you have to have a hard time for the game to be fun. If it's to easy you could let the game play itself...

What do you think?

9. engelke2010

engelke2010 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I do agree with you about that, but I would like to add that if it is way too difficult, then a lot of players might give up on the game too soon.

10. impurfekt

impurfekt Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Musician
    USA
    I prefer games to be difficult but not arbitrarily so (impossible puzzles which require trial an error to solve, battles which require pure luck to survive, etc.). If you are concerned about it being too difficult, why not implement a difficulty setting? Then the gameplay should appeal to a larger audience. Just be certain the difficulty level is consistent.

The one thing that made Dragon Age: Origins no fun at all for me was the erratic difficulty. I was constantly having to change the difficulty level from hard to easy and back again in order to progress. It was easily the worst game I'd ever played in that regard. Occasionally a battle would totally destroy me ten tries in a row. I'd switch the difficulty one step down and I'd waltz through the same battle unscathed, turn it back up and move on. Sooo tedious...

11. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Indeed. The one thing I don't want is the players to be frustrated. We will implement a difficulty setting, at least for the campaign. You already have save points at crucial points on each map.

It's really hard to be unbiased when you design a game and know all the little tricks etc. I start to follow routines that are obvious to me and speed up my testing of certain features, but I do my best to avoid linear playtesting.

12. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I think you've hit on one of the big challenges in game balance, and that there probably isn't one right answer.

That said, one complaint I had about the first Dungeon Hunter game was that I never felt challenged, so after a while, I just quit. No risk means no sense of achievement, and (for me at least) no fun. At the same time, if something feels impossible or like an unnecessary grind.. no fun in there either.

This applies more widely than boss fights :D Psychologists like Csikszentmihalyi have researched this dynamic more generally, and found that you really do need challenges and skill level to be optimally matched for individuals to be engrossed in any given performance-related activity, to achieve a flow state.

In the context of your game.. personally, I'd rather have you tilt slightly harder than easier, as long as I can restart from a save. Though part of that also depends on your overall design decisions for the game. If you're framing the game via a story-based campaign, part of the satisfaction will be seeing the story unfold, and different boss battles might need to be easier/harder depending on their role in the story. If you're going more for a repeated play rogue-like, where the point is more to see if you can get a bit further than last time, you might want the boss battles to be more challenging (or more random in their difficulty).

Some more good discussion of this issue up on Jeff Vogel's RPG design blog at: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/02/three-rules-for-difficulty-in-rpgs.html

13. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    That's probably a strong argument for beta-testing the gameplay with people who are removed from the design process.

14. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    simulated, thanks for the input.

I am completly with the psychologist you mentioned, the one with the freaky name :D. another point for making the game more challenging is: you learn things better when you're under stress. which in turn gives you a better play experience once you've mastered the game, but, and that's a big but: if you get frustrated before you can enjoy the depth of a game, well...most peolple just stop playing in this case. Guess I have to trust on my intuition.

as for playtesters: sure thing. we will have a few beta testers.

thanks for the blog post. I enjoyed the read.

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #15 smuttlegiaco, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    Just wanted to show you guys the beauty of the new character window. :) You should have seen it 1 week ago, it was but a shadow of this one.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys! Here's an update on the minotaur skills. Feel free to ask whatever question comes to your mind!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The Minotaurs were humans from the north before Detexx treachery turned them into what they are today. They rely mainly on physical prowess to achieve their goals.

The three classes:

Berserker - the damage dealer
    Basic Skills:

• Fury - enhances your HitsPerSecond (HPS)
    • Battle Cry - enhances the attack value of your companions
    • Bloodthirst - enhances your chance of inflicting critical damage

Gladiator - the skilled warrior
    Basic Skills:
    • Sweeping Blow - attack all adjacent enemies at once
    • Derwish - enhance your HPS and gives a chance to evade ememy attacks
    • Pounce - a mighty jump which deals bonus damage on the target

Bull - the tank
    Basic Skills:
    • Shield Wall - enhances your armor value
    • Hold the Line - enhances the defensive value of your companions
    • Taunt - make enemies ignore the others and attack you; also lowers the enemies armor value

---------------------------------------
    The Elf skills will be added soon!

16. Sandmann

Sandmann New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    the game looks very promising.;)
    can you tell me more about the values shown in the character window?

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    sry for the late response. we currently have our hands full making this game enjoyable for you guys.

the values shown:
    • sword - attack value
    • shield - defence value
    • boot - movement speed
    • red cross - hitpoints
    • bow - range
    • sword in motion - hits per second
    the smaller ones below the sword and the shield are bonusses that are class specific. in order of appearance:
    • Undead
    • Demons
    • Humanoids
    • Elementals
    • Insectoids

Insects won't make it in the release, but are planned in follow up maps/campaigns.

Here's another screenshot of an elven maid in trouble. :D

[​IMG]

Check out our Blog. The Elf skills will be posted today.

18. Sandmann

Sandmann New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    thx for the info! I've got one more question: the hour glass at the top of the screen, what it's all about? can you freeze time or what?

19. Scarface81

Scarface81 Active Member

Feb 19, 2011
    USA
    This seems to have a nice oldschool vibe to it. Kind of reminds me of Gauntlet. Any chance for multiplayer?

20. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #20 smuttlegiaco, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    hey! again sorry for the late response. I've made a little video explaining the tactical pause. Hope you don't mind my stuttering, I myself do not mind! :D

@Scarface81: no, multiplayer is not planned. but we will port the game to iPhone/iPod and mac when time and resources allow for it.

as to the oldschool thing: well, both of us were kids in the C64 era, and believe it or not: we hadn't gauntlet in mind when we started the game. the plan was a turn based space-hulk like game and that turned into a real time fantasy-themed game that reminds many people of gauntlet, hehe.

perhaps at a later stage we do a multiplayer game in the same universe as companions, but that will be a totally new game.