Universal Bird of Light: The ways are many (2D/3D puzzle platform)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Roach, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Making games and teaching game design
    Vancouver, BC
    #1 Roach, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    "Bird of Light Combines Storytelling, Puzzles & Running Into An Amazing Journey"
    -Aniket Mazumdar, Asidcast

READ THE WHOLE PREVIEW!

Hi!

We are Roach Interactive, and our I'm here to announce our new game, Bird of Light. We love action and puzzle games, and wanted to combine these two genres in a single game.:D

We're looking for some help beta testing, so please tell us in the comments or email us at [email protected]

Bird of light is our newest labor of love; it has been three years in the making, but in production since May 2014. You can read more about the production process on our development blog.

Bird of Light blends grid-and-tile based 2D puzzles with traditional 3D twitch swipe-and turn running and jumping.
    A challenging game that tests the players' logic, memory and skill,
    the design of the game allows players to come up with multiple solutions for levels.

The game also features interactive story panels that can be unlocked as the game is played

Some other features:

> Sharp and intuitive controls form the core of the game.

> Unlockable tiles with additional functionality

> 21 handcrafted levels with multiple solutions

> Subjective difficulty to accomodate players with different skill levels

> Medals (Achievements) and Gamecenter leaderboards

> Rich low-poly 3D environments and all-original art

> A hidden story that reveals itself through interactive scenes

> Custom music score

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you all for reading....if you want to keep up with updates, here's our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/birdoflight/

[​IMG]

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Looks great

3. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks

Thank you!

You can find out more here:

Bird of Light

4. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Looks Great!

The trailer was pretty cool! How big is the game in terms of size? It looks like there is a lot of art in there.
    When you say puzzle, is this a simplified world builder of some sort? Also is it possible to build custom levels?

The art style of the game is very unique! I guess the one on the video thumbnail is not an actual in-game capture right? Looks very realistic with all the shadows and stuff. But either way, the art looks great. Good job!

5. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey George, thanks for checking the game out :)

We're not sure of the final size, but it will be less than 100mb. We are trying to keep it under 50mb, but that may not be possible. There's a reasonable amount of art in there, but a lot of it is repeated textures and stuff ;)

The puzzle works like this: You are presented with a level with a grid where there are a number of fixed tiles (in green) and one of them is the start position, and there is also one tile with a castle that can be entered from any of the four sides.

[​IMG]

There are several pickups in the levels; there's a key that you need to get to enter the castle. There are also eggs that can be collected to complete the quests in the level.

You can find the 'How to play' page here.

HOW TO PLAY

6. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Gotcha. I'll get it when I actually play it.
    The art looks really good. I don't think you should compromise the visual quality for build size.
    Are the tiles just hovering in mid-air? Does the grid size change in wider devices or in later levels?

7. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you for your kind words on the art :)

Yes, we think so too. Trying to find the right balance between build size and art quality is hard, but for sure we do not want the size to exceed 100mb. That's a no-no for quite a large number of players, I think?

The tiles are actually Floating Islands :D
    The bridges connect these floating islands.

No, the grid stays the same (6 x 8) no matter what resolution or device.

8. substance-r2d2

substance-r2d2 New Member

Nov 21, 2015
    "sandbox runner"? Now that's a word/genre I haven't heard of. Love the art style.

9. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah, we've been struggling to describe the game for some time now-It's like nothing else out there, and it was really hard to describe what the game was.

Then recently a team member attended a game event and showcased the game; a few people called it a "Sandbox runner" and we were like, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

10. atash55

atash55 Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Game Developer
    Are the sound effects final? The sound the girl makes after picking up the blue pickups is going to be a little annoying if it happens regularly.

11. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    No, the sound effects are not final, apparently :D

We have been getting a LOT of on the sound effects lately, and are in the process of re-doing almost all of them.

One question: Whenever the player character gets a (blue)pickup, there are two sounds. There's an electronic sound and a kind of "Woohoo" vocal sound. Are you talking about the vocal sound, the other one or both?

Thanks!

12. atash55

atash55 Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Game Developer
    So sorry I missed the notification for the thread. I was talking about the 'Woohoo' sound. The other one is fine.

13. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ah, good to know! Yeah that sound has now been removed. We've got a new set of SFX in, and it sounds much better :)

14. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    UPDATE: We got a great Preview!

It's always great to get a preview, and this one is pretty nice:

"Bird of Light is a shining example of the promise of Indian game developers, and it shows off their capability as well. In a single game, Roach Interactive has integrated so many different aspects, that should not have gone well together, but does. The wonderful combination of different types of gameplay elements, the beautiful graphics, the excellent level design, the custom score- all of these aspects show great care and polish, which seems to be a defining quality of Bird of Light. It shows that the game is a product of passion, rather than a mechanical offspring of minds."

Read the full review here:
    http://asidcast.com/bird-of-light-combines-storytelling-puzzles-running-into-an-amazing-journey/

15. zfplay

zfplay Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    i like the cartoon style

16. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you, we worked through many variations to arrive at this art style!

You can see some of the process in this video here:

http://theworldofbirdoflight.blogspot.in/

17. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Happy New Year!!!!!!

Hello everyone!

We'd like to wish everyone on the forum a very Happy New Year 2016!

Bird of Light will be soft-releasing in Jan 2016, and we are really looking forward to this year.

We have implemented a new "save me" system in the game that will allow players to save their progress in the level by watching a video or spending in-game currency.

Have a great time tonight!

-Team Roach Interactive

18. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC