Survey pop-ups? Legit? Na, didn't think so

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by awp69, Mar 13, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Keep getting pop-up ads congratulating me on being selected to win an iPad 2 for completing a survey about Touch Arcade. They look like the same kind of crappy spam type things that aren't really legit.

Didn't know if the TA admins were aware that these were popping up, assumingly without TA's permission. Or am I wrong and they're really legit (and I blew a chance for an iPad 2 LOL)?

2. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Hmm, haven't encountered any of these when using TA on my phone or on my computer...

I don't think it'd be legit lol.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    We shouldn't have those. What computer / browser?

Can you take a screenshot and email to [email protected]

thanks
    arn

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Using IE10 on Windows 8. Next time I see it, I'll snap a screenshot.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sorry bro, you deserve pop ups.

6. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

LOL! Haha :D

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Check your computer for malware or similar. We don't run any external ad networks so we shouldn't be getting these.

arn

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    To balance out my semi-troll post from earlier, I actually had a similar problem not long ago after installing a game demo. Turned out I also got lumped with "Browse to Save" which kept turning words into links and placing pop ups in the bottom corner of the screen. It was easy to get rid of though, so have a look at your browser add-ons and most recently installed programs.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This happened to me exactly how you describe the second i installed the latest version of Firefox. I checked the extensions/add-on's i had and didnt have any marketing/promotion thing installed.

However I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it found something (marketing trojan type of thing), deleted that and rebooted and havent had a problem since.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Been meaning to update this thread. I've run full virus scans, cleared cookies, checked add-ons and tried several spyware/malware programs and nothing has fixed this. It only happens occasionally, but it's not just this site. I've gotten similar suspicous survey" pop ups in sites like Amazon. And of course, I do have pop-ups turned off.

Hasn't seemed to affect my PC performance or anything. Just annoying.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Have you tried Ad-Aware? I often see it mentioned as catching more adware/malware than other scanners.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I don't like that program, it actually scans your computer and acts as a sort of malware itself.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I haven't used it in about 10 years, I don't think I had any problems with it back then. Pretty sure it only scanned when I asked it to, maybe they've changed their technique.

14. praxcelis

praxcelis Active Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I just read something the other day about a small number of ISPs injecting ads into pages while you are browsing. I don't have any links to share on this at the moment, but you should be able to find something on it if you search.