I have been avoiding this gen of consoles....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    but my PS3 finally seems to be on its last legs.

I am not a fan boy. I am not locked into Sony or MSFT, though if Sony was backwards compatible, I would go Sony.

Here is how I might make my decision
    ..... which one is quieter? My PS3 would be reasonably quiet for the first 20 minutes of a DVD, but got much louder as it was on longer. That was always true for me; it wasn't a new development.

This will MOSTLY be used for watching movies..... some games, but not that many. I don't care about any kind of social aspect other than POSSIBLY who has better online gaming...... and I might not even care about that.

Which way to go? And please, I am not looking for fanboy opinions, but level headed opinions based on how I want to use it.

Thanks! :)

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I have neither. But I will say that PSN has a ridiculous back catalog of PS games, including PSP. Not sure how it works on Xbox Live. For this reason alone I purchased a Vita.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I can barely hear my PS4 when it's on tbh :)

My PS3 was far far more noisy, sounded like an RB211 :D

4. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    If you're using it mainly for movies could you not just buy a much cheaper DVD player rather than spend £400 or whatever it is on a next gen console which won't really be used for its primary function

5. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

But, as I said, it won't ONLY be for movies.... just not that many games.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    How many is "not that many"? Next(current) gen really doesn't have all that many games at the moment, and most of them are compatible with last gen.

Why not pick up the now steeply discounted PS3, assuming the noise has been fixed in later models?

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    If you mainly want movies and some games I'd probably just go PC, unless you have a clear idea on certain exclusives you'd like to play eventually then pick that console.

8. Handle

Handle Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    UK
    My brothers PS4 is loud, not sure if they have different dvd drives in them.

I've had both at one point, never really noticed much of a noise issue on either.

9. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

Maybe 10 over time. That is about normal for me until there are lots of good used games.

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    He might want to get it checked out?
    I know 3 people with PS4's (myself included) and all 3 seem very quiet indeed. Maybe he has a duff fan?

11. Handle

Handle Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    UK
    I'll let him know but he's one of those people who switches it on once a year so he'll no doubt ignore me anyway.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #12 Teknikal, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    If it was me I'd take the cheap route if all you really want is to watch TV/Movies now and again my cheap solution would be a raspberry pi with openelec (XBMC) installed as the OS.

But of course that assumes you either attach a drive of some sort (would probably need the newest board with 4 USB connectors) or set up a NAS to share the files.

Then again theres hundreds of cheap media boxes that you might find more appealing I just like playing with the PI.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can have multiple Os's on different Micro SD cards so you could run Linux or do something like this to play Emulators at will.

13. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    That can't happen. Or won't. I am a plug and play kind of guy. Zero desire to fiddle with anything.

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The only thing people could really help you with is potentially fan noise, and that's variable and assuming people have both "next gen" console. Are any exclusives/franchises important to you, do you want to pay a subscription to play online, if so which one offers the better value for money and free games for your tastes.