Vent Your Frustration Over Slitherine Not Updating their 32-Bit Apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dragan, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Since they didn’t upgrade a lot of titles to 64bit i will wait till there games are 1/3 of the release price or pass.

2. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    You win! ;)

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Nope. No way no how will I support this dev after they left their high priced games go to crap without updates for iOS 11.

Honestly thought they were leaving the App Store. They should have.

It’s one thing to waste a few bucks on an app that disappears. Quite another when you waste $20 and the dev doesn’t even blink.

4. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    I'm with you guys on this. They used to be my first go to publisher, on both PC and iOS, but no more. They are a disgrace to the industry and I'm surprised that they pass Apple quality control. I know they have to make a profit etc, but saying that their games, for example Battle Accademy, still runs on an iPad 2 and suggesting that as a reason not to update, is obscene. This is really the first time apple have made such a major change, and whether you agree with them or not, deserting your customers is reprehensible.

5. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Should have picked a publisher that didn't trash their reputation with the iOS community. I am deeply disappointed with the way Slitherine has treated its customers on mobile and won't be supporting them, or any dev foolish enough to sign up with them, until they fix their broken premium priced games.

6. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    I posted this on Slitherings forum early today and it disappeared. I’ve posted here also, the only change being in the first word. I changed it from You to They.

They have a nerve still releasing stuff on iOS after the way you treated your customers. And still expecting people to pay top dollar! In Australia, for your information, that’s $31! You should go away until you show some empathy for your customer base. I have spent literally hundreds of dollars on your stuff, both for PC and iOS. Thankfully there are many other great developers who are prepared to take care of their long standing customers. Good riddance.

7. eugenemcardle

May 21, 2013
    Is there a way of purchasing the app without getting it from Slithering? If so, I’d willingly support the dev. If not, I’ll find something else to spend my dollars on.

8. gfidge

gfidge Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Is there a risk that if I purchase this game that it won't play on my 128 bit Apple iPad of the future?...possibly.
    Could I be missing out on hours apon hours of enjoyment if this game is great...possibly.

I might do some research to see if I can find some reviews on the actual game. Yes it is $31 here in Australia, but then again so is going to the movies which nets me 2 hours of enjoyment. If this game is great and gives me possibly 30 hours of invested enjoyment then I'm in.

I'm also dirty on Sony that I can't play the original Gallop Racer on PS4. You would think they could make their machines backward compatible.

There's always two sides to the argument with equal annoyance. Yes it would be great if Slitherine could spend the extra money it would cost them to update their 32 bit games...then again Apple could look after their Customers by making iOS 11 32 bit compatible. Until such time as I am provided with a solid reason to upgrade to iOS 11, I will keep my iPad Pro running iOS 10.

I'm at least thankful that this provider continues to offer their product for iOS so that I can choose to take the plunge should their offer be any good.

Now time to do some research...30 hours of enjoyment....

9. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    #9 skoptic, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    I feel very similarly - my feelings are,

- I have looked at the risk with purchasing which I deem to be low
    - The cost is totally fine for the quality of app and enjoyment I will get
    - I have worked in software too long to think that Slitherine's decision didn't get triaged and assessed for viability. I also know that 'upgrade type' projects are not always simple nor economically viable. So while I would love the apps to have been updated, this doesn't warrant complete dismissal of all things Slitherine (for me)
    - I like mobile games and ones from Slitherine are usually the best TBS games out there - I want to play the game more than I want to annoy Slitherine :)

Anyways - game is playing slick but only really just started so will update more later :)

10. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    #10 DotComCTO, Oct 25, 2017
    Conflicted...

I think I was at the forefront of those begging Slitherine to update the Battle Academy engine to 64-bit. Keep in mind that Apple made the announcement of moving to 64-bit YEARS ago! I started my requests to them probably around 18-24 months ago.

Based on my forum & Twitter conversations with Slitherine, they explained that the problem is that the BA engine would need to be completely rewritten from the scratch. Based on that, I realized that entails not only considerable Dev work, but also a lot of QA to verify the game engine. After that, you have to rebuild all of the games based on that engine, and then QA all of that. Slitherine is a relatively small company in a niche market. The amount they'd have to spend would be large, and since these would simply be upgrades on the App Store, they wouldn't earn any income from all that effort. Also, that Dev & QA effort would divert them from working on other games - which means losing even more income.

In my most recent conversations, I learned that Slitherine sees that F2P games have dominated the iOS market, so there's little room for premium games - especially ones for a niche market. They'll continue to release iOS games, but only if they are based on a cross-platform game engine, such as Unity. I think they're out of the business of writing their own game engines!

So I'm conflicted. I want to buy the game to show that iOS isn't a dead market for premium games; however, on the other hand, does that somehow reward the decision to abandon some of their old games? I will more than likely buy the game, but I'm still really sore about the games I can no longer play.

P.S. If Firaxis ever stops by here, I'm still really POed about losing Ace Patrol, Pacific Skies & Pirates. You guys are 100x bigger than Slitherine. You guys have zero excuse for this. :mad:

11. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    #11 Dragan, Oct 25, 2017

I have no notion whatsoever from software or programming but don't try to convince me that a title like 'Quadriga' couldn't be upgraded with a minimum of effort.

Furthermore I'm lucky enough to have enough financial means to buy whatever I like in the app shop but I refuse to buy Slitherine products out of solidarity with those that really experienced the loss in their wallets.

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    +1!!!

13. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    #13 skoptic, Oct 25, 2017
    Zero convincing being attempted, stating my opinion on things :) Totally happy with other people's principled stand - I'm a vegan and don't buy from numerous 'unethical' companies!

14. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can anyone post an actual review of the game as opposed to their thoughts of the publisher?

15. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Not me, anything associated with that bunch of shysters gets a wide berth from me.

I've been gaming since 1981 am not short of disposable income or the inclination to support quality apps and that lot will get nothing.

16. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Yes, I thought this topic would probably dominate and appreciate the strong emotions it raises. Maybe any further ‘reasons I won’t buy from this publisher’ discussions could go on another thread and we keep this for discussing the game? I appreciate that it might be a futile attempt, but hey ho.

I’ll post more gameplay opinions at some point, but lots of games released recently and then there’s that pesky real life thing too.....

17. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't buy other game from them. These guys stole my money battle academy 1 and 2 don't play in my iPad now I wait new xcom from the Take2 sorry ;)

18. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    That’s the spirit! :)

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    +2.

Cheered to see the (entirely appropriate) response to an abysmal dev / publisher shown on this thread.

Appalling response to Apple dropping 64 bit from Slitherine, who seem to think their situation was unique amongst both small scale and major devs.

“Hey! We won’t be making a profit from our time if we rework all those old games!”

“Ohhhkay!!! Then let’s totally shaft our core market of loyal £20-a-title niche deep strategy games! That’s bound to pay off in the long run, *thumbs*”

Honestly €$%# ‘em. Wouldn’t buy from them, won’t buy from them, good riddance if they abandon iOS.