Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejarman View Post
And again, apologies to anyone who's run up against bugs. iOS in particular is a finicky beast when it comes to software of this size and complexity - especially when it's all being coded by one person. Plus, there's also the fact that I'm just a dummy a lot of the time.
Hey at least you are humble about it
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
Hey at least you are humble about it
I'm always willing to admit that I'm nowhere near the best... but I'm a very long way from the worst too

Everything is a lesson.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the kind words. I don't think that ANY game will ever come close to that amazing Dungeon Master feel, but I'm glad that Coldfire Keep is at least nostalgic enough to get you thinking that way
You're being way too modest Steve! I've just finished the game and enjoyed it just as much as DM - possibly a little more because of the 'nostalgia factor'! Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I think I vcut my teeth on Eye of the Beholder II and then later on Black Crypt. I may have started Dungeon Master, but I do not really recall playing it thaat much. I used to have an Amiga 1200 and a 500 before that. There is still nothing quite like the Amiga out there.

Any chance for better mapping in Coldfire Keep? Could you use a high overhead render of the dungeon as a basis for the map and ten overlay the symbols?

Or the ability to annotate the map on our own? I would suggest a colored dot, with a decent selection of colors, and then tapping on it could display some text below or above the map.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by argel1200 View Post
I think I vcut my teeth on Eye of the Beholder II and then later on Black Crypt. I may have started Dungeon Master, but I do not really recall playing it thaat much. I used to have an Amiga 1200 and a 500 before that. There is still nothing quite like the Amiga out there.

Any chance for better mapping in Coldfire Keep? Could you use a high overhead render of the dungeon as a basis for the map and ten overlay the symbols?

Or the ability to annotate the map on our own? I would suggest a colored dot, with a decent selection of colors, and then tapping on it could display some text below or above the map.
Nothing beats the original Dungeon Master on the Amiga. It was the first real game that dragged me in and would not let me go!!

GaZ
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

Thank you, Steve.

Thoroughly enjoyed fighting my way through Coldfire Keep.

I would have liked a more detailed map, maybe colour coded for the doors and teleports. And a running total of secrets xx out of xx, I'd like to know how many I missed.

The final boss battle could have been harder. I beat him and I hadn't even unlocked the final spells.

All in all as I said, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by Gaudy; 03-13-2014 at 02:14 AM..
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griff View Post
You're being way too modest Steve! I've just finished the game and enjoyed it just as much as DM - possibly a little more because of the 'nostalgia factor'! Thanks again!
Thanks for the kind words - I really appreciate it. Hopefully the new game that I'm working on will be even MORE enjoyable for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by argel1200 View Post

Get an emulator and PLAY DUNGEON MASTER!

I'll try to revise the mapping a little - maybe some extra markers etc. At this point I don't think that I'll add annotations, though I absolutely will have that stuff in the new game. Maybe once I've written it there, I'll go back and insert that into Coldfire Keep.

One of the big things I really want to get working in the new game (must stop calling it that) is the ability to just mark the walls directly - like if you were really lost in a dungeon you might use chalk or something to draw arrows or notes on the walls as you walked around. I think THAT would be an awesome feature, but it's a little tricky to implement. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudy View Post
Thank you, Steve.

Thoroughly enjoyed fighting my way through Coldfire Keep.

I would have liked a more detailed map, maybe colour coded for the doors and teleports. And a running total of secrets xx out of xx, I'd like to know how many I missed.

The final boss battle could have been harder. I beat him and I hadn't even unlocked the final spells.

All in all as I said, thoroughly enjoyed it.
That's awesome to hear that you really enjoyed it! On most of my playthroughs I found those final fights to be "just hard enough". Getting that balance level just right for different players is something that I'm still mastering.

Technically, that screenshot is a bit of a spoiler by the way
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM

Wow! LoL!..Just got done reading thru all this!..I've been playing this game for a little bit now, and I guess I can see where it's a little like the Quest..But, anyway, I'm enjoying it and I, like others, also think it's good how Steve listens and responds to people on here. As far as crashes , bugs, etc.., I was experiencing alot of crashes previous to this latest update, but now it's a smooth play for me, no crashing..Some other problems I experienced were exclusive to me. I had to learn some things about the game. Like, the coldfire golems. I had to come back when I was stronger to fight them, which is what I'm doing now. And other things of that nature..Anyway, I'm sure it's very complex creating these games, there's bound to be bugs, crashes, etc., especially the first go-around. Congrats on this game, Steve, thanks for the updates to correct the bugs(it's running great for me now),and definitely looking forward to the next game! :]
Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
That's awesome to hear that you really enjoyed it! On most of my playthroughs I found those final fights to be "just hard enough". Getting that balance level just right for different players is something that I'm still mastering.

Technically, that screenshot is a bit of a spoiler by the way
I weighed that up against proof that I actually finished the game and went with proof. (Removed now.)

As for a bug?/spoiler:

•••Spoiler:  When I entered the final boss room I still had a silver key in my inventory (guess I missed a door somewhere along the way) I didn't realise the significance until Janec dropped a silver key. Now, I am assuming I could have run past Janec and opened the final door with the key in my inventory? Maybe a different type of key/lock than the others in the game would stop that? Not that it's a biggie.

Last edited by Gaudy; 03-13-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudy View Post
As for a bug?/spoiler:

•••Spoiler:  When I entered the final boss room I still had a silver key in my inventory (guess I missed a door somewhere along the way) I didn't realise the significance until Janec dropped a silver key. Now, I am assuming I could have run past Janec and opened the final door with the key in my inventory?
Spoiler:
•••Spoiler:  I actually did this the first time - but it felt like cheating, so I re-loaded from my last game save and did the job properly! Interestingly I loaded it again after the 1.4 update and a golem had appeared in the final room - was it added in the update?