Naming your game app with ASO in mind

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Hello,

How much thought do you give to naming your game with App Search Optimization in mind? Do you ever specifically name a game based on this rather than go for something you like/prefer?

Don't worry, i'm not talking about naming a game after a song lyric! :p (if you didn't see my previous forum post on this, then ignore this comment!) But i was thinking about the following example:

I'm trying to build a shmup for my next game. As a random generic example off the top of my head, let's say I decided to call it: "Attack Strike" (this may or may not have already been used, etc - i just made it up right now). Now, I started thinking, what if instead of that I actually called it: "Attack Strike - A Bullet Hell Shmup". But for the app name on the device, it'll just be Attack Strike.

Would this approach be better for ASO? Would this be considered ASO spamming? As a developer, would you prefer this naming approach? As a gamer/user, would you mind this?

I have to admit, i've never really placed too much thought into ASO (especially given how poor the search functionality is ont he app store) so i am interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

PS. I was really thinking about creating a bullet hell shmup for my next game - not called Attack Strike though - but i've been building and testing my prototype and it doesn't feel very good/special/unique so i'm kind of exploring other areas within the general shmup/endless runner genre!

2. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

Unless you are very lucky it will be rejected by apple reviewer until you remove description from title

3. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Ah, so such an approach could also cause an app rejection by Apple? I see..

I guess there would be less chance of that happening if i blurred the words more, like:

Attack Strike Bullet Hell

Cheers

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I don't see any evidence to suggest this... heck, the #1 game has a list of like 50 words in its title :p Gameloft is adding descriptors in its title more and more as well.

5. DropDKeith

DropDKeith Well-Known Member

I don't believe this is the case these days. It seems that Apple has really relaxed both the app name and the keywords that you can use.

Check out our game Tap Studio 3 for an example. We've been optimizing for ASO and it's really making a difference.

My advice, cram as much as you can into the title, and use whatever keywords you think may work. At worst, you will get a metadata rejection and need to tweak your title/keywords without getting a complete reset in the approval process.

Granted, I feel kind of silly with an app name like that in the store, but Apple leaves you few options if you want to get found by a search.

6. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

Maybe I just get the sticky reviewers . My last update I had to change my title " AAA - An Alien Annihilation " to just "An Alien Annihilation" and I'm pretty sure there is a clause in the guidelines that you can't use a description in your title but I couldn't be bothered to look for it right now. And yes lots of people get away with lots of stuff, so I guess you could just try and see what happens

7. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hmmm, I wonder if the problem wasn't more that AAA is an actual company?

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I frigg'n HATE seeing all these stupid long app names. Wish Apple would reject obvious (sleazy) SEO crap on principle, and/or fix the search algorithm to ignore everything beyond the first 2 or 3 words.

9. DropDKeith

Believe me, I don't like them either, but it's not necessarily sleazy. Our app names are long, but we try to describe what the app does, not just include 'Angry Candy With Friends Crush Zombie Birds Saga' as part of our title. :)

Apple is just too restrictive on the number of keywords that you can enter. It's tough to get discovered out there.

10. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Interesting feedback guys!

Question: as the developer and decision maker of your game, would be rather go for a short personal name that you like or a long dry and descriptive name that you think doesn't sound good but may do better from an ASO point of view?

I have to admit, personally, i prefer to go for the short name that i feel will fit better rather than worry or care about keyword optimisation.

Thanks,

11. DropDKeith

Do you want to try and make money? Or do you want to make a statement of principal?

This game is tough and you've got to stand out if you want a chance to succeed.

From statistics that I've read, more than half of app discovery is via keyword searching.

Would you rather have a cool name or would you rather be found. :)

My answer? Do both!

<My Cool Name> - <ASO please download me bro!>

12. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    In general, as the developer, do you actually prefer going with this approach as your first and prederred option? I may consider this for naming my next app, but my gut reaction is to simply use <my cool name> only - especially for one off unique/weird/random word that may not make any sense with the game itself!

Thanks,

13. 8-Bit Avrin

8-Bit Avrin Member

May 10, 2012
    Yea I don't like having a long name for my apps, but it does definitely help with search results if done correctly. It would be great if Apple redesigned their App Store so that more apps are displayed after a search, especially on the mobile devices.

14. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    2 Points for Honesty

There's definitely a line that people knowingly cross when it comes to ASO keyword spam and legitimate descriptors. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just be honest with what actually belongs.

15. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You could do it like the old days where games had eps

Commander Keen - A platform adventure (made up tag) for example?

16. DropDKeith

Of course not! I would much rather our app name were simply "Tap Studio 3".

However, our desire for downloads, which equals players, which equals incremental $, means that we append a tag line that includes some additional keywords and we end up with "Tap Studio 3 - FREE Rhythm Game for YOUR iTunes Music! - Share with Your Friends! - Thousands Online!". If Apple allowed for even just 2x the number of keywords, then maybe we wouldn't use the app name because you do run out of keyword ideas, believe it or not.

Search is king in this game as near as I can tell.

And honestly, I don't think it matters how long your title is, as long as it is relevant to your app. And why wouldn't it be relevant? It will contain keywords that help describe your app so I can't see how it bothers anyone.

I don't think it would do any good for you to add 'keywords' to your app title like angry, birds, temple, run, plants, zombies, candy, crush or saga. Unless those words actually apply. Using keywords or names of super popular apps aren't likely to help. If someone searches for Candy Crush, they won't find your app, they will find Candy Crush and a million others who are trying to ride their keywords.

The trick is to find relevant keywords, possibly unique ones that people may actually search for.

And above all else, have a good product and get really lucky!

17. DropDKeith

Yes, this is exactly what you can (and probably should) do. Then you don't need to include 'platform' and 'adventure' in your keyword list.

18. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I am actually going to try this, I think you can do it in a way which makes sense without going overboard.

19. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Relying on the search feature for random hits sounds to me like bringing a metal detector to the beach instead of delivering a great experience to a hungry audience. I think you can still make money by having an exceptional product and a grass roots marketing strategy to spark the flames early on. I don't mean to thumb my nose at considering naming strategies, but the dev in me likes the idealistic approach of a simple, appropriate name, while the consumer in me shies away from giving money to advertising gimmicks. In the long run, high quality products will get you noticed.

20. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I think there is a balance to be had with going overboard. You would be crazy not to consider it. Everyway to get your app out there is important. I have been guilty of not putting enough thought into this.