Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

My post may have come off a bit harsh, I thought you were trying to be the "idea guy". But when I re-read your posts it appears you are interested in joining up with other developers, not necessarily being the "idea guy". Sorry if I came down too hard on you.

My previous post applies if you want to lead an indie team. Leading requires getting a lot more done than everyone else to build/keep momentum.

For other indie teams, I can tell you from personal experience that having an excellent sound engineer makes a huge difference. Our game in the app store consistently gets compliments on our sound and music and having good sound makes the game feel much more professional. Since I don't know the OP, I can't say if they are awesome or not but I would give them a try to see what happens. The only reason I'm not is because I still have an awesome sound engineer on my team.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I forgot to add, you may find an interesting project to work on here:
http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/17-Collaboration
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Raindrop: No worries. I was in the same boat, worrying that my first post didn't come across the way I had hoped. But I swear, if anybody had said, "Ah, screw this guy." I would have been like "Fair enough" because... yeah.. screw me... or something. Who the heck do I think I am?

And I agree 100% with what you said about sound and music design. Working in post production (And especially animation) you learn very quickly that no ONE thing makes a movie or TV show. It's a combination of lots of factors all working really well together. And a big component of that is the sound design and music. I've seen movies that just flat out didn't work until they added a score and sound effects which... isn't great, but goes to show how important it can be (And how effective it can be with the right stuff).

Thanks for the link to the board! I will definitely check it out.

To the guy who made Lua: I will definitely check it out. I haven't given up on Programming 100%. I still occasionally pull up Codea and pick through code, trying to implant the basics of "this does this". So I will definitely give Lua a try. Thank you very much!

In general, thanks to everyone in the thread. Basically I think my best course of action at the moment is to hunker down with as many programming books and see if there's any more room left in my brain, then lone-wolf it until I have something more to show for it. Thanks for the advice, everybody.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunksteve View Post
Raindrop: No worries. I was in the same boat, worrying that my first post didn't come across the way I had hoped. But I swear, if anybody had said, "Ah, screw this guy." I would have been like "Fair enough" because... yeah.. screw me... or something. Who the heck do I think I am?

And I agree 100% with what you said about sound and music design. Working in post production (And especially animation) you learn very quickly that no ONE thing makes a movie or TV show. It's a combination of lots of factors all working really well together. And a big component of that is the sound design and music. I've seen movies that just flat out didn't work until they added a score and sound effects which... isn't great, but goes to show how important it can be (And how effective it can be with the right stuff).

Thanks for the link to the board! I will definitely check it out.

To the guy who made Lua: I will definitely check it out. I haven't given up on Programming 100%. I still occasionally pull up Codea and pick through code, trying to implant the basics of "this does this". So I will definitely give Lua a try. Thank you very much!

In general, thanks to everyone in the thread. Basically I think my best course of action at the moment is to hunker down with as many programming books and see if there's any more room left in my brain, then lone-wolf it until I have something more to show for it. Thanks for the advice, everybody.
If you want to be in control and implement your ideas, then yes that would be the best course.

My advice download unity and follow a few tutorials to make a game in unity. I teach 9-14 year olds to make games in unity, so it is very accessible.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
If you want to be in control and implement your ideas, then yes that would be the best course.

My advice download unity and follow a few tutorials to make a game in unity. I teach 9-14 year olds to make games in unity, so it is very accessible.
I second that. I knew almost zero about coding in early January. Now, in February, I've written a few scripts in Unity using C# and feel decently confident with the overall structure. For me, the way to learn was to go through some minimal amount of basic tutorials, then just start trying to make something, learning only how to do what was required for that step. More motivating that way, personally, than trying to learn a large amount of things prior to making something yourself.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbsicle View Post
I second that. I knew almost zero about coding in early January. Now, in February, I've written a few scripts in Unity using C# and feel decently confident with the overall structure. For me, the way to learn was to go through some minimal amount of basic tutorials, then just start trying to make something, learning only how to do what was required for that step. More motivating that way, personally, than trying to learn a large amount of things prior to making something yourself.
Will do! Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm quite excited about all of this. I've already begun writing an outline for a game. Nothing uber-committed. But just kind of mapping out what the story would be and what the levels would entail.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.