Anyone sick of medieval themed RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheProxy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    I've gotten a bit sick of medieval themed RPGs. Not necessary medieval, but games revolving around knights, fighting demons, mages, ancient curses, etc. We need decent RPGs that strive from those themes, games like Sonny and The World Ends With You. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Zenonia now and then, but the story was immensely boring. I don't care if they are action or turn-based, does anyone know any games that aren't based on swords and wizards, something a bit exciting?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Wolfenstein RPG (ww 2 based)
    Deathride (car based RPG)

3. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Galactic Keep: Dice Battles is coming... that will be amazing, you should check out the thread

Its more pen and paper style, but the art is still awesome

4. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Uh... I don't think you meant strive ;)

Also, I wouldn't quite call any of the recent RPGs "medieval themed". They are more of a fantasy nature than realistic fighting.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I was hoping Legion of Amon would be something like that, but no news every surfaced about that game.

6. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
  7. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    IMO the games that did something other than that sort of story and actually pulled it off are Chrono Trigger, Chrono Chross, Earthbound, and Mother 3 (that I can think up off the top of my head). Most of the other RPGs I really like do follow the traditional theme, but they were so good that I didn't care.

I'd really like to see some RPGs that play like traditional RPGs, but have a futuristic or current world theme rather than knights and magic and such. For me, it's all about storytelling and good mechanics.

Too bad there are never any good action RPGs anymore... (like Secret of Mana)

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    If the game is good, I can care less about the theme...Seriously. ;)

9. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    never!

10. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    What is this blasphemy!?!? There can never be too many medieval themed RPGs.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    what the eff is this. These are the only decent rpgs. F YOU! ;)

12. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    If you're so bored of medieval themed RPGs (which I love) try TNA Wrestling then :p

13. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Well spoken my friends! :D

Personally I like my regular high fantasy stories in RPG's. If we want to nitpick (which I do) that above mentioned medieval theme would be closer to low fantasy when it comes to genre terms. Low fantasy involves less magic and magical things while high fantasy is filled with undeads, wizards, fireballs and the like.

Back on topic, I like them all that involve medieval-like weaponry (which is quite common for both high and low fantasy) and stuff.
    I don't mind an occasional sci-fi or other type of RPG but generally they can't hold my interest for too long unless they're really well done. If it's this 'medieval type' RPG then I usually play them through even if they're worse as games then the other ones.

14. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Anyone sick of stupid, pointless threads like these?

15. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'm not really sick of them, but I do welcome other settings for RPGs. I love creativity in games, found in games like Eternal Sonata, Dragon Quest Swords, Okami, etc. I wish The Worlds Ends with You was for other systems (could do well on the Wii considering its graphics capabilities is similar to that of the Gamecube, maybe even worse :rolleyes: ), it looks amazing.

16. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    im sick of waiting for N.O.V.A

17. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I agree, in a sense, but I'd like to also see some other themes in addition, like sci-fi, or post-apocalypse. The Fallout series is a great example of non-medieval RPG...

18. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    I think this is one of the better threads in this forum.

Aurora: Can't you play Gamecube games on Wii? Or was it N64 or some other older generation Nintendo.

19. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Once traced to a suitable origin, nothing in life has much of a point. BUT, I'm glad to see you are forcefully asserting your opinion on the matter. As for the essence of your post, I don't see why you are trying to insult the nature of my curiosity. If you find this thread pointless, don't post. I really don't see how your post benefited anything. It only made you look like a very disagreeable brat... Just a heads up, I really don't care. It's pretty entertaining to read, though i'm sure your intentions involved you looking clever.. Anyways, as I said, I enjoy a good fantasy RPG as well, but I do occasionally want an RPG that is different. If you like playing the same over and over, I don't mind. Oh yes, to reference a couple of posts back, I actually haven't played Wolfenstein RPG. Rather hard to believe I guess. And yeah, "strive" was an awful word. That dice game seems awfully fun...

20. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    It was Gamecube. She could be playing Baiten Kaitos and Skies of Arcadia RIGHT NOW.