Tiny Wings not so original ;) (video proof)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by griffilms, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griffilms

griffilms Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #1 griffilms, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

So there! Wavespark was released a year before Tiny Wings. ;)

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Do you live in a rock? If so, here's some news for you: life isn't fair.

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Deal with it.

4. Zallman

Zallman Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Observer
    Alaska
    Like the guy who made wavespark said..
    Shoulda listened to the folks who told him to put out an ios version.

5. griffilms

Nov 18, 2010
    I Just found the similar game video on youtube from feb 2010 and thought it looked like Tiny Wings. Not saying that its fair or unfair. Just pointing out the similarity.

D.J

6. griffilms

Nov 18, 2010
    #6 griffilms, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    and also should have given it good visuals, a fun main character and packaged it in a box called Tiny Wings. :)

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I take it you're the developer of Space Wolves, or associated with it in some other way. But you're looking pretty desperate and it's not making me want to buy your app.

8. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Yeah, I generally avoid buying those apps too.

9. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    It'll be in my avoid list... :p

10. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Is that gi joyride music in the video?!

11. AmpliHelix

AmpliHelix Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    East Coast, USA
    Instead of just removing ";) (JK!)" in the edit you should've just removed the entire advertisement.

12. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    The funny thing is he is saying that Tiny Wings is not original and the fact is his own game is very similar to Angry Birds :D

13. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    actually, for the past 30 year or so, the industry has witnessed too many ideas, which makes it hard to create something absolutely unique. the most important thing is you deliver the right production on the right time at the right place with excellent quality. i believe all these made the tiny wings a great game.

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Who ever said original meant good? Gameloft is the perfect example of that. I believe Tiny Wings is a great game with fun sounds, great gameplay, and a cool art style. So it doesn't matter if its original or not.

15. logical

logical Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I would be more concerned if he ripped some of the code from the other game. He added his own touches to the game and own art style. Its not like he took the game and threw different assets on it and called it his own... he built it from the ground up.

This is basically the way the industry works... take something and make it better since innovation is so hard to come by these days. Not like google was the first ever search engine :cool:

16. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Do you see the people who made Warfare 1917 bitching at the developers of Trenches? If you don't want to port your game, sooner or later someone will do it for you and make it better in the process!

17. stkim1

stkim1 Member

To OP,

It isn't original at all, and p. close to a rip off. I agree.

The way T.W. is delivered, however, is so original; the style, the selling phrase, "A new look everyday you play!", and the character ofc.

Let me ask you this way. Can you outperform T.W. then?

18. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    i don't even think wavespark was the first game to do this, i recall playing flash games about pressing a key to turn your character into deadweight or change their aerodynamics while on terrain, i just can't recall any of them.

19. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    The thing is Tiny Wings added production and has a character that people care about - when the bird flies high and chirps in a happy way it makes the player feel good. Plain and simple.

The dev may of been inspired by the other game but he made it his own. To be honest most games are copies of copies and maybe one original idea may come through every so many years.

This dev was clever and realised that the feel of the game is the most important thing - he just picked a simple gaming mechanic and went with it.

Somehow I don't think the original version would of done well on the App Store because the visuals look boring. You have to ask yourself why didn't the original maker come up with an appealing design and released it himself - he probably did not believe that the game was good enough... It takes someone with good design skills to see the full potential of the idea and that is a big difference!

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It would be nice for games to at least be able to acknowledge their inspiration as a sign of respect [without it leading to Desktop Dungeon style lawsuits)...