Stæm Punk – fast, innovative action platformer [from Runt, Inc.] NEW CONCEPT ART!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Scribble, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Game Developer/Community Manager for Runt, Inc.
    Houston, Texas
    #1 Scribble, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Introducing Stæm Punk – the fast and fresh action platformer within a fully realized steampunk world!

Stæm Punk is based on the fluid motion of parkour freestyle running and places you in the role of Citizen – an independent, free-thinking rapscallion whose natural curiosity sparks an inner rebellion against an oppressive government. Using elegant parkour techniques and quick-thinking strategy, Citizen must find ways to escape his surroundings … all while giving the government a piece of his mind!

Features:

-Three play modes: Exploration, Time Attack and Challenge!

-Escape the strong gravitational influence of corrupted magnet stones working to halt Citizen in his tracks!

-Beautiful steampunk visuals!

-Seamless gameplay: Run, Jump, Vault, Wall Jump and Wall Run from start to finish without a single loading screen!

-OpenFeint and Game Center integration: Leaderboards, collectibles, achievements and unlockable content!

-Fast, addictive game mechanics!

-Ever-expanding episodic content!

The first episode of Stæm Punk is slated for an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch release first quarter of 2011. Stay tuned for weekly concept art, gameplay trailers, and other assorted teasers!

UPDATE! 10.28.2010 - Citizen Concept Art!
    UPDATE! 10.29.2010 - Outskirts Concept Art!
    UPDATE 11.1.2010 - Developer Update!
    UPDATE 12.13.2010 - Update Teaser!
    UPDATE 12.14.2010 - Town Hall/Æther Extension Concept Art!
    UPDATE 1.12.2010 - Runt Accepted into IGN Indie Open House!

Thanks for your time,

Scribble

2. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    #2 Scribble, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Gator416,

Great question! Thanks for asking:

Exploration Mode
    You'll leave no stone unturned as you traverse the beautiful game world searching for unique collectibles, all without a single loading screen to interrupt your search. Who knows what these collectibles may offer you...

Time Attack Mode
    Before you're able to explore levels in Exploration Mode, you'll need to beat them in Time Attack Mode. You'll run, jump, vault, wall run and wall jump your way through beautiful steampunk environments filled with corrupted magnet stones swelling with gravitational power, hoping to halt Citizen in his tracks. Try for the best time on OpenFeint/Game Center leaderboards!

Challenge Mode
    Simple, but addictive mini-games provide unique challenges on-the-go. Try to grab the highest score on OpenFeint/Game Center leaderbaords!

I hope these explanations helped you understand Stæm Punk's play modes a little better. :)

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Please don't make alternate accounts and post from the same IP Address

It demeans us all

The parkour and steam punk elements sound great and I can't wait to see some art/trailers

4. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
  5. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks doodlejumper! Stay tuned tomorrow for some concept art.

6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Logo looks like it says Staem Junk. Just my thoughts.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I love Steam Punk. Looking forward to seeing some stuff.

8. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    #8 Scribble, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Concept Art: Citizen

Citizen is the protagonist in Stæm Punk, and he's quite the polarizing fellow. Outfitted with glowing goggles and metalworker attire, Citizen blends well with the humble surroundings of his blue-collar hometown.

You'll be sure to see more of him as gameplay trailers are released. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

9. Can't wait to see some more of this. I love Steam Punk and your art style looks really cool so that's two ticks from me! :)

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Love the art, I swear my hair used to be like that when I was in school. Looking good!

11. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks 5th World and sammysin!

Sketch is the art guru at Runt. He's creating some pretty incredible stuff! More art is coming soon.

12. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    That's awesome about your highschool hair, haha! I'm almost 25 years old and I still wear my hair like that. Don't know if that's a good thing or not...

13. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha! I'm 25 too my friend, my hair is just a complete mess now and the only way to get my hair to stick up like that is to hairspray a whole can on there!

14. Gretsch

Gretsch New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Schweet! I heard about this from a a friend and wanted to see the development. Just like he said... the concept art is looking good.

15. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks Gretsch! I'll be revealing more concept art/general teasers throughout the week, as well as keeping everyone involved in the development process.

I love your tag. You a musician?

16. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Intharesting! (!nteresting!)

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I really want to see more ... there are not enough platform games here ...

18. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    You'll get your wish very soon FPE.

19. Scribble

Scribble Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    #19 Scribble, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Concept Art: Outskirts

The Outskirts is poverty-stricken fringe development in Citizen’s humble hometown of miners. Houses in this area rely on basic stone, flat sheets of metal and clunky steam engines for everyday shelter. As you can see, most houses in the outskirts are built on less-than-desirable sloping terrain, forcing their key structural integrity to reside on chain pulley systems fighting to keep shelter from slipping into the trash heap beyond the ledge.

[​IMG]

Holistically, the Outskirts is relatively underdeveloped when compared to other environments in Stæm Punk. A basic, inefficient sewer system spreads its bony fingers underneath the land. A monolithic Tesla Tower stands tall amongst the poverty, feeding receivers strategically located amongst the homes. The Tesla Tower’s purpose remains a mystery the Outskirt’s inhabitants — but when you live in the Outskirt’s, you don’t have the luxury of knowing anything’s purpose.

[​IMG]

Every asset in the Outskirts — from the run-down homes to the massive sewer system and the top of the Tesla Tower — will be explorable while playing Stæm Punk! This concept is merely a portion of the first playable zone, but we don’t want to give too much away quite yet. ;)

Thoughts? Feedback? It’s all welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

20. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

lookin good!