Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Career mode >single season mode

A few random things from similar games:

Sports Mogul, makers of Baseball Mogul and Football Mogul for PC uses this justification to add real players into their line of games:

Please note that Masters of the Gridiron is not licensed by the National Football League. Our games use real player names and stats, but do not include registered trademarks (such as team logos). This usage is protected by the First Amendment and by a series of legal precedents (see, for example, C.B.C. Distribution v. Major League Baseball).

Also Front Office Football has real players too without having an NFLPA license.

That said, it's not a huge deal if you just use last names either.

Next random thought: I have a game called Dynasty Basketball Manager for iOS and on their Facebook page, they mentioned asking if people would be interested in an NFL Management sim. They're game is completely different though, as it is text-based only, and not really sure how well their NBA simulation/algorithms translate over to NFL, as the NFL is much more complex, i'd guess.

Finally: I can't wait to see/hear more progress on this! Are you planning to keep the UI 8-bit style or clean it up for HD screens?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStrategyFootball View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, I've added names to the game! I can't use real names, of course, but at least you now see something like "Adams 13 pass to Jones (#77)"
Cool. Speaking of names, I threw 6 incomplete passes in a row with PFM (Payton $&!#% manning) which seems unrealistic. He should be better
Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Antdroid, I know an IP attorney, so I'll ask her about the names. As for other games coming, I'm sure others will take on the pure GM mode and be much more fleshed out in that area, since that will be their sole focus. I just hope there will be a decent sized audience that likes the idea of a "Head Coach Career" - where you don't spend hours on the draft and managing contracts, etc, but instead have the draft as just one part of the actual playing, and where you still coach.

Of course, you can always let the device sim the whole regular season each year if you want, and just take over in playoffs. And I'm sure people will have lots of excellent suggestions once it's out. I fully expect to keep adding features!

The animation is still the 8-bit animation for this year. The UI itself is nicer, although I'm still trying to figure out any way to make play-calling even simpler for novices.

somedumbgamer, yeah, it can happen, though. I've had bad streaks that really irritate me, but you have to adapt. If the defense is staying in Zone/Pass, then throw some screens, run draws, throw short, etc. Against blitzes, throw a pattern right to where they're blitzing from. Hopefully, your luck picked up!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Guys, question about viewing players in career mode. Right now, I have a Career Home page with buttons:

- Seasons. Tap this to see a list of all completed seasons, including who won the championship that year. Tap a season to view all the details (team rankings, season leaders, achievements, etc)

- Teams. Tap this to view all teams. Sort by tapping Name, Wins, Losses, Win%, Made Playoffs, Won Conference, and Won Championship. Tap any team to view its history over the career, by year, and how they did each year (Lost WC, Lost Div, Missed Playoffs, etc). Tap a year to view it.

- Career Leaders. To to view career leaders - Team or Players. You can view Passing, Rushing, etc. I'll later add Kicking, Returns, and Defensive stats; hopefully later this Fall.

- Current Season. Manage the current season, depending on the current phase. Still working on this, but the phases will be Draft, Preseason, Season Play, and PostSeason (not sure I need PostSeason, but I think so).

But here's my question, the best way to view players. There are a LOT of players in the league, so I don't want to just display them all at once. I can think of some ways, but would love to hear your ideas:
- choose a position (QB, HB, etc)
- choose a letter or range of letters to see players whose last names start with that
- choose a team to see all the players who ever played on that team. Select a player to then see his history (year, team, performance).

Suggestions? And remember, this is separate from the "Career Leaders"
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

The easiest and I think the most useful way would be to view players by position.

One other thought about career mode -- since this is a "head coaching" sim, as head coach you only get a say in some of the player choices/contracts etc. as that really is the job of the GM. Perhaps, and maybe this is already your thought process, is to have a coach option to give the GM advice or a list of needs (I want a young QB, a CB and a WR) to draft or look for in free agency, and then have the simulated GM do all the dirty work in the background.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdroid View Post
The easiest and I think the most useful way would be to view players by position.

One other thought about career mode -- since this is a "head coaching" sim, as head coach you only get a say in some of the player choices/contracts etc. as that really is the job of the GM. Perhaps, and maybe this is already your thought process, is to have a coach option to give the GM advice or a list of needs (I want a young QB, a CB and a WR) to draft or look for in free agency, and then have the simulated GM do all the dirty work in the background.
Yep! I agree, Antdroid. PSF 2014 will offer just what you're saying, being the coach asking for help from the front office. I'd like to find a way to adjust your Scouts, too, so that what they *think* of a player may be more or less accurate. I figure PSF 2014 will be the first iteration, and I can improve it later in the Fall and each year, as it's played out in real careers by real users.