iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroapan View Post
You're on the front page! Congrats!

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
Indeed! Great article, sounds like the TA folks are impressed
Thank you guys! I think that this forum thread helped a lot to get this very cool article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Looks interesting, but I can't help but wonder why cutting off your opponents tiles doesn't give your OPPONENT extra moves. Then you could make threatening moves and sacrifice in one place to gain strength in another, and would have to think more carefully about whether you really wanted to cut that group off and give your opponent extra moves. As it is, it really seems like most games will steamroll rather quickly.
First, I'd like to thank you for your interest!
Your idea is really interesting but I think that it would go too far in the opposite direction and be too much of a disadvantage for the offensive player, considering the game's current shape anyway
The gif and trailer are obviously simple examples to show the game's mechanics but it's in fact quite a challenge to cut a tile off its king and get bonus moves against a good opponent.
Getting the first bonus move is quite the fulcrum of the game, and while it's true that it can end up steamrolling after that (again, depends on the situation some nifty fortifications could still save you), it also gives a nice change in pace and a way to conclude the game, which I think are both important.
As the tagline says, it's a medieval board game from the 21st century, and immediate fun and replayability are important objectives for us. What we've seen so far is that people really like playing Kingdoms for those reasons and they can't stop saying "another quick one?"
But don't worry, we're also aiming to ship a game that provides strategic depth for more experienced players too! We just don't want Kingdoms to be too much of a game of slow back-and-forth.
Anyway, we're aware of the potential steamrolling and we have a couple ideas that we're going to test in the next few days/weeks to see how it goes, and we'll update you guys with the conclusions

I hope that this reply sheds some light on the matter. I'm really enjoying reading feedback and ideas from you guys and I can't wait to have more people like you playing the game!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Perhaps it is simply the case that the promo video is a poor example, as the use of fortifications shown was completely pointless. That may be contributing to my perception of things.

At any rate, any chance of developing an AI?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Yes, I agree that it was a very simple example to show the fortifications, not the best way to use them!
Fortifications become really important against more experienced players, in more complex situations.

Regarding the AI, the plan is to ship the game with one, so that you can play on your own, if you don't have any friends nearby or you're not connected to the internet! We have implemented a very basic one so that the framework is in place and we can focus on the logic to make it more interesting.