Beaterator by Rockstar Games

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Sainter, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #1 Sainter, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

http://appshopper.com/music/beaterator

Seems a bit bland and lacking on detail in the App Description. I'd like to see impressions before going for this title. Anyone picking this up?

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Cool, first Rockstar game in the App Store. Didn't enjoy this title for the PSP though, wonder if this one would be any better.

3. TR3S

TR3S Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Student
    Florida
    upsetting

seems to be a very watered down version, hope Rockstar doesn't do this with GTA:CW!

4. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    crap...just how watered down is this from the psp version? i wish i could get some numbers on how many samples there are to choose from in each version. i'm constantly tempted to get this for the psp, but just not at 39.99. this is only 4.99, but if it's extremely watered down to justify the price, then i might just save up the extra 35 and get the complete polished product.

5. TR3S

TR3S Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Student
    Florida
    well the psp version is 665MB, while the iphone version is 80MB. Seems to me like they cut some stuff out.:eek:

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Downloading now. I haven't played the PSP version ($39.99 is too rich for my blood for a music game), but I'll see if it holds together as a game on the iPhone OS. 80MB could be very compressed; not sure how compression works on the PSP.

By the way, Rockstar has gone on record saying that GTA:CW will be identical to the PSP version, with slightly worse graphics.

7. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    well the psp version definitely had waaaay more visual flair and whatnot going on, so them taking out what seems to be a massive amount of textures and visuals probably attributed to a decent chunk of the file size being removed. the difference in the number of samples available, regardless of their audio quality, means a ridiculous amount to me. if anybody figures this out, get back to this thread!

i am curious though, after you get it, about the quality of the samples ;]

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well, just from playing for a few minutes, it looks like a very watered down version of BeatMaker (which is amazing). I'll play around with it a bit longer tonight to see what I'm missing. Frankly, I find it very unappealing graphically, and the available samples all seemed fairly similar to each other.

9. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    oh man i forgot about beatmaker. that's been on my wishlist for quite some time. i should just take the 20 dollar middleground and buy that instead.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I take it back -- this is actually pretty fun. There's a bunch of other beats and effects that are not available on the main screen. I'm just scratching the surface, but I was able to quickly lay down some pretty decent-sounding beats with little effort. BeatMaker is a much deeper tool, but this seems to be a nice audio toy.

11. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Are there any graphics like in the PSP version? What was going to eventually turn me to this App were the cool graphics but if they are missing I doubt I will pick it up

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    So this really isn't a game per se, right? It's just a way to lay down beats? If that's the case, why is Rockstar involved?

13. Sainter

Dec 8, 2008
    Yeah it's another beat maker app.

I am guessing Rockstar got involved because they got to team up with an artist that would make this sell well

14. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i don't care about this
    GTA is all important,at least now we can hope that cginatown wars will be out this month even without any screenshots or anything about it :D

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's really more of a toy -- though I believe you can record tracks and export them as WAV files.

@Sainter: It doesn't have the PSP graphics -- just Timbaland bopping to the beats in the background.

16. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #16 nodoctors, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    so yeah i finally decided to take the dive and so far so...good? i'm definitely going to need to spend a little more time with this, but as already stated the visuals go as far as a very jerkily animated timbaland in the background dancing. the layout of the sequencer seems very casual friendly, and the quality of the samples isn't too bad. it's not the best, but i've had hands on time with way worse sequencers. definitely way more of a toy than a real sequencer though

17. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    So Getting this! been using beatmaker for a year now, need something new.

18. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    #18 italodance, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    wow want to downloading this too :D with driver :cool:

but it works only on 3.1.2? i have 3.0.1?!

oh no all reviews said it crashes everytime >..<

19. RedDevil

RedDevil Member

Aug 18, 2009
    not sure - Itunes suggests it required 3.0 or later (game description 'confirmed to work with firmware 3.1 and above)... can anyone confirm ?

20. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    so this was an instant buy for me but of course with my luck, it doesnt work with a jailbroken 3.0 OS.

i suppose i should just upgrade to the new firmware and then rebreak it