Where the heck are the good games for kids?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mathieu, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mathieu

Mathieu Well-Known Member

#1 Mathieu, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    I'm trying to come up with a list of the best games available on iOS (for a website I'm working on, a little side project from game development...).
    I have great difficulties finding the best games for kids, it's a nightmare.

This category is pretty important for me, I have a little kid myself and I already made an iOS game aimed for young children. Back when I worked on this game I was stunned by the large number of apps for kids that were:
    • awfully designed
    • using IAP
    • displaying ads
    • linking to social networks
    • using again and again the same clipart's images
    ... or that were just plain wrong for children (a few months ago I counted more than 50 games in the App Store's Top100 "Kids" category that were food-related, maybe that's just me but I don't find this health at all).

tl;dr What apps/games do you consider the very best apps for kids on iOS?

Edit:
    I'll list here some of the suggestions made in this thread:
    • Toca Doctor/Toca House
    • Sprinkle Junior
    • Bobo Explores Light
    • Coop Phonics
    • Playtales
    • Firebusters
    • Endless Alphabet
    • LetterSchool

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah the number of IAP riddled children's licenses are appalling, you raise a good point with the social media and ads too. I don't think I've seen anything that fits the bill though sorry, some of the interactive children's books with mini games may be worthwhile pursuing.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    How old? My kids play angry birds, cut the rope, tiny wings, fruit ninja etc. with their cousins all the time. Kid range from 3-7. How many you want?!

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Right now - I put quite a few Toca games ( http://tocaboca.com/ )on all of my little nephews and nieces iDevices... alongside that I usually put Fruit Ninja, a couple of those Dash (Diner Dash, Hotel Dash) games and Jelly Roll. After that - I just give em anything they want (within reason... but they don't really ask for stuff like NY Zombies or anything). But they usually want the typical top 10 - Angry Birds, Temple Run, Cut The Rope, ect... I just put Wreck It Ralph, Where's My Water and Sprinkle Junior on em last week.

But you might want to PM strivemind - http://forums.toucharcade.com/member.php?u=55959 - I know he has a little one and is always on the lookout for apps/games good for the younger audience. =o)

5. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    You could always go to Top Charts, Catergories, Games, then Kids. You've got the Top Free, Paid, and Grossing Kids games on the App Store, but I'd stay away from the top grossing one, they're probably riddled with IAP.

6. Mathieu

That's a good idea. Even children books without games can be interesting. I have yet to try Chocolapps books for example.

I'm aiming at apps/games for 2-8 years old. Sure they can play Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Diner Dash... but I'm really looking for more "intelligent" games.
    Don't get me wrong, some are well made and entertaining but I'm really sure there are better games for kids.
    This is the type of games/apps I'm looking for: http://touch.gg/+-for-the-kids-+

Yes I really need to take some time to check the Toca games, do you have one to recommend especially?
    Sprinkle Junior seems really great and exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I would like to stay away from the Top Charts because I 'll get games that are heavily downloaded, not good games necessarily.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Well, personally, with the Toca games, I'd recommend Toca Doctor. But I see my youngest niece playing Toca House quite a bit too. =o)

Glad I could help out.... if even just a little.

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    2-8 is extremely broad as every age has different learning goals. Things like Giggletouch and Fruit Ninja may seem unintelligent but they are great for recognition and encourage dexterity. The hidden object games you listed are good as are match 3 puzzles and words with friends type games. Any puzzle game, weather it's physics based or otherwise, are fantastic for kids as they engage logic and reasoning.
    If your after games that are marketed to kids then there ain't much. If your after games that will enhance a kids motor skills, vocabulary, reading, spelling, recognition etc then the App Store is brimming with stuff.

9. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I've tried a lot of different apps for my daughter over the past few years (she's six now) and the biggest hits with her have been:

Bugs & Buttons
    Bugs & Bubbles
    Bobo Explores Light
    Coop Phonics
    everything by Toca Boca
    The Stella and Sam collection
    Playtales has a pretty good selection of interactive books
    Kung Fu Panda Cookbook (my daughter loves watching videos about cooking)

10. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I really like this thread! I have problems looking for games for my kid too

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    For the 8+ or so group, Tintin is a great choice.

12. Firebusters, catch the candy, and follow the rabbit are all good games that are on the easy side and yet quite fun.

13. ZugZug

ZugZug Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    For kids learning about letters, the app called endless alphabet is pretty good. My kids (2/5) are loving it.

14. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Mikey Shorts is kid friendly & IAP-free, but not explicitly educational. You can't even lose in Mikey Shorts, you can only get better at winning.

15. Would the Nimbus Games Inc. games' count?

Spy Fox, Freddie Fish, Putt Putt and Pyjama Sam they are...we got a demo disc which had one game from each of those charachters series from a cereal box when I was about 4/5...I loved those demos

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Have u tried Pearl Diver and Lobster Diver (suitable for ages 8-13)?

I too am always looking for apps to educate my toddler, so if you guys have tried any other good apps, please share.

One thing though, really need a list that categorises apps according to age, as age inappropriate apps either bore or frustrate children...

17. Mathieu

Wow, you made my day guys! :)
    There's some great suggestions, I'll keep a list of some of them in the very first post of this thread.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #18 Vovin, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    Dead Space!

... no, just kidding... ;)

But there are a lot of Big Fish Games (Match-3 games, Hidden Object games, building games, card games), which are not only suitable, but also train very well. My niche, for example, loves Freeway Solitaire.

Just search the App Store for Big Fish. But be cautious, Big Fish also released a lot of spooky game. Check the description before, or better: download this free Big Fish game finder and browse appropriate apps easily:

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/game-finder-by-big-fish/id431387115?mt=8

19. Mathieu

20. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #20 mrbiggles, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    some stuff my kids played alot or still do while learning....some aren't games, but the kids like it to learn ;) 3 + 5 yr girls

Enviro-Bear 2010 (3 yr old loves going crazy driving, 5 yr old loves the concept to eat, drive and sleep ;)
    Chuggington Traintastic Adventures (got when it was free)
    Ball Frenzy (goes free often)
    Whale Trail / JR
    Little House Decorator (got when free)
    Pets in the House (got when free)
    The Lonely ABC Beast (not game but kid 3yr old likes it, but letter Z is said like they say in the UK)
    Monkey Math School Sunshine
    Where's My Water?
    Where's My Perry?
    Angry Birds Series
    Tangrams
    Drip
    Touch and Write / Cursive Touch and Write

(bought alot of Toca Boca games when on sale!)
    Toca Hair Salon (little girl loves the most)
    Toca Hair Salon 2 (little girl loves the most)
    Toca Hair Salon Christmas (free) (little girl loves the most)
    Toca Tea Party (little girl loves 2nd best)
    Toca Birthday Party (little girl loves 2nd best, same concept as Tea)
    Toca Talor (little girl loves 3rd)
    Toca Tailor Fairy Tales (free) (little girl loves 3rd)
    Toca Kitchen Monsters (free) (little girl loves 4th)
    Toca Kitchen (little girl loves 4th)
    Toca Robot Lab (plays sometimes, boys might like better)
    Toca House (plays sometimes)
    Toca Doctor (likes and plays it sometimes)
    Toca Band (plays sometimes, can get annoying for parents)