Zombie Race terrain engine preview.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slembcke, Mar 11, 2009.

1. #1 slembcke, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuOrC95K26E (please excuse my ugly programmer art placeholders :))

[hqyoutube]LuOrC95K26E[/hqyoutube]

Been hard at work lately making the terrain engine for our upcoming racing game. Progress has been going good, so I decided to make a quick preview of the terrain engine. The gameplay will be a lot like Dirt Bike, but with Zombies...

As a small group with limited time, we didn't have time to create a fancy terrain editor. Instead, we generate the terrain data from images edited in Photoshop or Gimp. The result works out rather nicely as you can just paint the terrain's shape. It even allows you to carve out caves and loops!

I'm hoping to be able to provide a way for players to create their own levels eventually. Given how easy it is to make levels now, I think somebody could have a lot of fun with that.

2. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    lookd sorta like Bike or Die 2, which is a good thing:D

3. But with more zombies, and a doom mobile. :D

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It looks awesome! Sure, the graphics could use some work, but as is, it blows over 75% of the games in the AppStore out of the water. The way the... "car" handles is nicely done, too.

5. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Looks cool. I think I'd buy it, right after release. I love games like that. :p

6. The "car" that is drawn is just the raw collision detection shapes at the moment. I don't have graphics for that yet.

It uses the Chipmunk Physics library for the car physics. We developed it in house and it has been used in a number of other games to good effect. (http://code.google.com/p/chipmunk-physics/wiki/Games) I really need to update that list...

7. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    It's looking great Scott! I've kind of been working on other projects while Scott's been working on this. I am really excited for the potential of the terrain. I think it'll look pretty fantastic once we get the real graphics in there.

Anyway, absolutely everyone loves barreling through the landscape plowing through zombies ;) I think it should have a lot more "gamer appeal" than ScribBall.

8. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Great Scott! It looks great, Scott!

9. han0007

han0007 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    First Officer Qantas.
    Melbourne, Australia
    lol, Scott!

EDIT: ROFL SORRY DIDNT SEE THE DATE OF THE LAST POST!