How can I beta test?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LOLavi, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I know like how you can beta test games, but where can I contact the devs or do they have some kinda contest for beta testers? I see lots of people here with plenty of beta tested games, and I would like to beta test some games too. Currently hoping that Draw Slasher will let me beta test, as it would be my first beta test.

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Here are the instructions.

-Go to the Upcoming games thread
    -If a developer is asking for testers send him the details he needs. (To find you USID you can download a few free apps that tell you)
    -The developer will either 1) Send you the games file if your accepted or 2) Send you a Testflight sign in.

I will go into the two ways now:

Testflight
    This s basically a app that allows you to test games without the need to drag files and all that. All you do is need to register your device. This takes 5 minutes and the site will go through the instructions. From there you get contacted when a new version of a app that needs testing that you have been accepted for is out.

Downloading the Files
    This is the longest way, You will be emailed the files from the developer. From here you will be required to drag one file into the side bar on itunes and a second one into your games. These files should be clear to you when you see them.

Then just plug your device in and after its done its stuff your good to go.

If you want to test games i recommend testflight as it is the quickest and easiest way.

If you need help with this sort of thing Youtube has some helpful videos.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks Triggy :) So I will just chekc out upcoming ipod touch games section :)

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Can I ask for beta testing? Or do I have to wait to see if they need some?

5. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    1.Request for beta test from developer.Send email with your idevice UDID.
    2.Receive email with details for closed beta test
    3.Receive build files from developer
    4.Drag and put in apps on itunes.Sync
    5.Play:)

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Please do not bug devs with beta test requests. they'll post it in the thread if/when they need testers.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #7 LOLavi, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Oh man. Already asked. I better not ask again... sorry I didn't know.

8. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    btw, before applying for the "big stuff" where they ask you your previous experience (ie. gamevil, com2us, etc. some pay) make sure you test some games where they accept all applicants. Try to have at least 3-4 or you'll get rejected. I learned the hard way. :cool:

there's the beta tester alliance you can enter after you tested... 3?

9. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    You should talk to crex ;)

10. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yeah after you have beta tested three games, you are allowed into The Beta Tester Alliance" where people in that group give their thoughts about beta testing, if/when they got paid, what games they got accepted to beta test to, etc. :) Good luck LOLavi!

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Com2us was my first beta testing gig :p

Or click your serial number in iTunes and save a bit of space.

12. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yeah. My first beta tested game was Lost Earth by Com2us.

13. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    really? how'd you manage that w/o any experience?

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Okay thanks guys for the info :) And I haven't even tried to big companies yet.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Just sounded enthusiastic enough I guess... combined with what I told them about my gaming history, all the feedback I've left over the forum and what review writing I was doing at the time.

16. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    that just might be it. :D
    you still testing games?

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not anymore. Sticking strictly to post-release discussion/feedback and reviews now :) I go through too many games to devote a ton of time to refining a single one, as much as I enjoy helping out with the process.

18. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Idk. Same thing as what MidianGTX said... telling them your gaming history, experience with the AppStore or iOS devices/games. :)

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#19 Der-Kleine, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Being lucky I did quite the opposite, the 2.nd or 3.rd game I tested was Ravensword... (It was a big game at the time.).

Some notes:
    - A big company like Gameloft or EA will DEFINETLY NOT let you test their games. They have their own testers in house. (Don't waste your time asking the few members of these companys on these forums if you can test.)

- If the dev is not on the forum (posting in the upcomming thread of his game that some other person might have created) he or she will obviously not ask here for beta testers.

- Try to make atleast sort of useful posts in the upcomming threads. Make yourself visable to the developer. Make yourself seem helpful.

- Don't expect to get anything for testing (promocodes/giftcards).

- (More for devs reading this:) IMO the best way of reporting bugs is with Google Groups.

- If the developer has lots of testers, but not many of them have a certain device generation, the dev asks for testers with these devices and you have this generation it is of course quite likely that you will get picked if you don't apply (really) late.

btw. the first thing I tested was Above & Beyond Air Combat. I guess it was a rather big game to start with. I kind of wish it would still be supported because it doesen't work on iOS 4.0 or newer. :(

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and interested :) If you're genuinely excited about the game they're more likely to trust that you want the best for it.